Sharing notes/questions for my (likely slow) MP3DP v4 build, will periodically update as I make progress. Appreciate all the info people have been sharing, hoping my aggregated notes here helps others. This’ll be a lagged snapshot of what I’m frequently pushing to github.
MP3DP v4 (aka Repeat v2) — 3D Printed, CNC’d CoreXY 3D Printer
Tracking plan/tasks/actions in my build Log. Intending this doc to end up evolving into fleshed out structured notes.
See Official V1E MP3DP V4 Docs, they reference :
- Repeat V2 forum thread containing design process/updates/feedback.
Fusion 360 hosted Design, export/download and print these parts for latest greatest design. Related forum post is here.
- IF you open/import the model in Fusion 360 desktop app, you will be looking at a snapshot. The imported snapshot will not get updated if/when Ryan makes additional updates. So, you may need to reimport every so often if you’re wanting to absorb latest edits, and then make dimension/design changes for your build.
- Created export-components.py Python script, and topic showing How to Bulk Export parts to .STL files.
Included a snapshot of exported .STLs in the /models subfolder.
- As-is models will need orienting before splicing and printing.
- Printable .STL files will be stable, but not latest.
Note: Until full Official v4 docs are available, reading through v3 docs (albeit a different design) for general guidance will help. For example v3 printed parts docs has info that applies to v4 too.
Pics from V1E.com
Pics / Gallery
- 23-01-30 Ryan’s pics Mp3dp v4 bom - #40 by vicious1
WHY BUILD ONE?
Mostly Fun, and, maybe profit. Have an Ender 3 Max, great machine but has limited speed/quality/temps. Want something faster and capable of other printing other materials, not just higher temp ASA/ABS/PC, but TPU will be easier with direct drive instead of bowden. CoreXY frame/motion has misc benefits over my Cartesian Ender 3 design.
Super secret goal, arguably the most important one… is to inspire and lure the kids into 3D printing, a gateway to becoming a Maker…
Why others built one…
- Dan/SupraGuy perspective @ Mp3dp v2 - #7 by SupraGuy
Low Cost (Parts, not labor…)
- Dan’s costs Mp3dp v2 - #3 by SupraGuy
Quality / Speed / Reliablity
Ryan/V1E relies on these to run his business, so that says a lot.
- Kirk’s speed testing MP3DP Repeat V2 (aka V4) z steppers - #7 by kgleason
Alternatives considered :
- https://vorondesign.com/ too $$$, $1800-$2000
- V-Core - 3D Printers too $$, $1100
- Bambu Lab X1 Series | Desktop 3D Printer | X1-Carbon - Bambu Lab easy to use $$ + closed bambu x1 carbon
All that said, am biased toward building MP3DP v4 largely because of the V1E community support. To me, the V1E mindset is focused on getting great quality results for great value. This resonates with me more than paying a significant premium for something that pushes the limits, and may involve lots of maintenance. Creating, experimenting and extending is more fun than maintaining.
Default design is for 200mm x 200mm x200mm (not common).
- Smaller builds like this are more rigid, so better-quality/faster.
Sizing related thoughts/considerations:
- Dan… 200mm^3 is good all-purpose, but linear rails may be easier to source for 250mm^3
Calculate dimensions for your build using A) Math and/or B) Fusion 360 parameters:
A) MP3DP v4 dimensions math…
Linear Rail X = Usable X + 100mm Linear Rail Y = Usable Y + 50mm Linear Rail Z = Usable Z + ~50mm (**) Extrusion Frame Length X = Linear Rail X + 70mm Extrusion Frame Length Y = Linear Rail Y + 95mm Extrusion Frame Length Z = Linear Rail Z + 95mm Linear Rail Cut list... Extrusion Cut list... 3 x Extrusion Frame Length X 8 x Extrusion Frame Length Y 3 x Extrusion Frame Length Z Belt Cut List... e.g. Buy 5m for Usable 300mm^3 3 x (Usable Z + 150mm ) + 1 x (4 x (Usable X + 200mm)) + (4 x (Usable X + 50))
(**) Z dimension is approximate, can vary depending on bed mounting thickness.
B) Change dimensions Use Change model parameters
BOM / PARTS
Read: Mp3dp v4 bom - #79 by azab2c
- MP3DP v4 BOM forum topic
- Dan’s rails, Y = Z = 300mm, X = 350mm
Ryan’s BOM Repeat V2? - #85 by vicious1
- Linear rails all use M3x8 (
- One stepper mount marked with an “8”
- M3x10mm …
- M5x30mm …
Voron part sourcing guide VORON Design - Sourcing Guide. Sections below are inspired by Voron generated BOM.
Solved the MP3DP v4 BOM Puzzle thanks to folks in this Topic. Using the following info:
- MP3DP v4 Forum Topic | Fusion 360 model
- MP3DP v4 Pics of Ryan’s builds
- V1E Shop 3D Printer Parts
- MP3DP v4 community builds have stumbled across.
- MP3DP v3 Forum Topic | Fusion 360 model | Docs / Parts
|1||** SKR Pro 1.2 Control Board||6 driver minimum (for 5 motion steppers + 1 direct drive extruder)||Shop – Amazon|
|5||Steppers, Nema17||76OZ/in, e.g. KL17H248-15-4A||Shop – Amazon|
|1||Extruder or other tool||Hemera,example, match voltage, 24V is good.||Fila – Amazon|
|5||*** Pulleys 16T 10mm||10mm GT2 16 Tooth||Shop – Amazon|
|6||*** Idlers w/Teeth 20T||20T w/Teeth 5mm Bore||Shop – Amazon|
|8||*** Idlers Smooth 20T||20T Smooth 5mm Bore||Shop – Amazon|
|5m for 300m^3||**** Belt GT2 10mm||No steel belt||Shop – Amazon|
|2||Omron Limit switch, endstop||Use Omron or red rollers||Shop – Amazon|
|1||Heated Bed||Style and Size will vary||Shop – Amazon|
|3||Springs||For bed, silicon tube will work||Shop – Amazon|
|1||X Linear rail MGN||Usable X + 100mm MGN12H||Fila – Amazon (select correct dimensions)|
|2||Y Linear rails MGN||Usable Y + 50mm MGN12H||Fila – Amazon (select correct dimensions)|
|3||Z Linear rails MGN||Usable Z + ~50mm MGN12H||Fila – Amazon (select correct dimensions)|
|1||Power Supply||Match voltage||Fila – Amazon|
|*||Thread locker||Optional for grubs screws||Shop – Amazon|
|*||Lube||Optional for idlers||Shop – Amazon|
|*||PTFE Tube||Optional Extruder to filament||Shop – Amazon|
|*||Print Fan||Optional fits hemera mount||Shop – Amazon|
|6||Stick on Stepper temp gauge||Optional||Shop|
|1||ESP-01s ESP3D headless||Optional Wifi dongle for SKR Pro 1.2||Shop|
|6||3/8" wire sleeve||Optional||Shop|
|1||50mm PTFE liner||Optional, need more if building bowden setup||Shop|
As an Amazon Associate Ryan earns from qualifying purchases.
** Personally, am using Octopus 1.1 instead of SKR 1.2 for my build, will have more Mod options, but will be more work to setup. SKR 1.2 and Rambo have better Community support.
*** Pulley/Idler break down :
- 6 Pulleys 16T 10mm.
- 6 = 6 x 1 per Stepper.
- 6 Idlers w/Teeth 20T
- 4 = 2 x 2 per Left/Right rear corner
- 2 = 2 x 1 per XY Left/Right
- 8 Idlers Smooth 20T
- 6 = 3 x 2 per Z post
- 2 = 2 x 1 per XY Left/Right
**** Belt Calculations, cut list :
- 3 x (Usable Z + 150mm )
- 1 x ( (4 x (Usable X + 200mm) ) + (4 x (Usable X + 50) ) )
Not available from V1E:
- Power supply
- Heated bed
- Screws, nuts, tnuts
- M3x8 (plus the one stepper mount marked with an “8”.)
- M2.5x12 for the endstops
- M5 Slide in Nuts amzn
- Use slide-in nuts, rotating T-Nuts are horrible.
Hemera amzn or BiQU H2 V2 (170g lighter)
- MP3DP needs 6 drivers/steppers, Octopus is oversized with 8 drivers, am using because 1) am familiar with the board already, 2) will have 2 more slots for mods.
The fantastic* BIQU H2 extruder/hot end - (*IF you get a good one) - YouTube
BIQU H2S Revo
Testing the ObXidian nozzle and new E3D Revo developments - YouTube
- Fan Duct Testing the ObXidian nozzle and new E3D Revo developments - YouTube by eight_heads
Sounds like @probrwr has BiQU H2S Revo and @gpagnozzi is using BIQU H2 V2.0?
BIQU H2 V2.0
BIQU H2 V2S REVO Manual
Consider Zyltech, Ryan(and others?) had bad experience with Amzn extrusion.
Corner Brackets Forum reco Jeffeb
- 6mm /1/4" Plywood
- ACM (aluminium-plastic-aluminium sandwich) great stable material, but $$$.
3D PRINTED PARTS
- Used PETG (like Dan), may reprint with ASA using MP3DP v4. Ryan prints with PLA.
- Using Overture Transparent Red PETG](https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YCNCZ5J
- My Cura Settings: 0.6noz, 3 wall, 35% gyroid infill.
- Ryan says 40% is probably really good.
- Dan’s used 0.5mm Noz, 2 walls, 30% adaptive cubic infill
- Until v4 docs available, reading through v3 Assembly doc will help.
Z Post Assembly
- See Matt’s build @ Matt's MP3DP Repeat Build - #153 by MattMed
Power down and/or resets will cause bed to crash down. So, “gcode needs to park the z axis at zmax”
MP3DP v4 V1E Community builds / builders
Some of the Community MP3DP Build Logs that helped me.
@SupraGuy 200/235mm^3 ?? MP3DP V4 build PLOG
- Extrusion Cut List :
- 4x 345mm frame upright pieces
- 4x 345mm frame Y axis pieces
- 3x 370mm frame X axis pieces
- 3x 305mm Z axis upright rails
- E3D Hemera hotend
- Extrusion Cut List :
- @ MattMed Matt's MP3DP Repeat Build - #142 by MattMed
- E3D Hemera Direct Kit
- Nice Prusa slicer settings from Ryan
- @ Jonathjon 300x300x400mm MP3DP V4 Build
- @ Kgleason’s 235mm^3 MP3DP Repeat V2 (aka V4) z steppers
- @ aali0101’s 250mm^3 Repeat V2? - #251 by aali0101
- @ probrwr’s 300mm x 300mm x ??? MP3DP V4 Build - SW Virginia
- @ OBI’s Time to start
- @ Heath_H 300mm^3 Heath's MP3DP Repeat - Akron, OH
- 3 in 1 (multicolor, 1 nozzle/hot-end, 3 extruders)
- @ gpagnozzi
- @ RootsMedia’s 310x310x280mm MP3DP Repeat, Take Two
- Repeat v1 with sweet ACM/PolyCarb enclosure, complete with logo engraved panels.
// DONE - sort by print order │ 2 x Z Post.3mf 2.3hrs Z Post M.3mf 2.3hrs XY Left.3mf 2.3hrs XY Right.3mf 2.3hrs Left Stepper.3mf 2hrs Right Stepper.3mf 2hrs X Carrier.3mf 4.25 Back Corner Left.3mf 1.75hr Back Corner Right.3mf 1.75hrs 2 x Tension Block XY.3mf 1hr 6 x Z Belt Holder.3mf 6 x 0.5hr, 3hrs // INPROGRESS // TODO ───Hemera Hemera Fan Shroud.3mf ├───Misc 2020 clips and parts 2020 Corner Bracket.3mf cable tie Wire Hanger.3mf Power supply bracket.3mf Wire Clip 90 degree.3mf Wire Hanger TapeTrick.3mf ├───MP3DP V4.1 Bed Washer.3mf filament Rev Bowden Holder.3mf Rail Aligner.3mf ├───SKR Pro SKR Pro Cover.3mf SKR Pro Wire tie.3mf └───TFT E3 V3 TFT CASE V3.STL TFT Holder.3mf