Repeat V2?

Just throwing this out there, probably alright on your smaller build, but the rail might need a backer for a 300mm printer. My printer’s rail is rotated 90deg from yours and it gets “floppy” at high speeds. A few of us are using aluminum angle as a backer/stiffener.

1 Like

I did leave that possibility open. The center extruder mount can be made taller, easily in my CAD and mounting to the ends just requires longer screws.

I did see that printer and wonder why they would mount the rail in that orientation. I chose the weak direction to only have to support the extruder weight, not the insane accelerations. The other thing about that one that strikes me a bit odd is those idlers screws not being supported. Has anyone looked to see if they flex under high loads? The tiniest of supports will easily make those screws 4x more rigid, and there is plenty of room to add a strap from the tops on all of them. Other than that, that printer is seeeeexy!

The shoulder bolts are pretty beefy. A few of the guys did do double shear mounts for them. Ends up being a bar across the Y (same as the stiffener) axis. You couldn’t do it like this with printed parts, but the milled aluminum parts help. Back when Steve and Craig designed this printer 100mm/s was travel speeds. Now a couple of the guys are printing at 1m/s!

1 Like

Yeah those accelerations multiply the loads seen, at least it is linear. F=ma. It really really makes you take a second look at it all. A lot of those super speed print videos are starting to look a lot like paint shakers.

1 Like

Up and running, very happy so far. Need a screen mount and a final calibration. A few of the parts can now be finalized.

I’ll clean up the bench and get some pics asap.

3 Likes

No z endstops is easy and works great. The only thing about this one is your ending gcode needs to park the z axis at zmax, easy.

I want to see how the leveling grid looks after this print. I want to see if the wires give it that weird lean it had on the previous version at all. I highly doubt it will.

1 Like

Interesting. Does this version also have belted Z? What is the point of parking at zmax?

1 Like

Maybe the bed is at the bottom, resting on hard stops so it can’t fall when you cut power to the Z motors?

1 Like

Oh. Right. I was thinking that was zmin.

Yup, belted Z. This time also carrying the steppers, Repeat V2? - #30 by vicious1 so it gets to Z max pretty fast if the power is cut.

I keep getting it reversed when I manually move the bed. Zmin/max. I want to move the bed up and I increase the number…nope. grind grind grind.

I got a roll of TPU, have not used it in years. Printed perfectly, it doesn’t seem to like as steep of overhangs as PLA but I might just need to tune my temps. Last time I used TPU it took a lot of testing to get it right, I think the hemera really helps here, over a wades extruder. I got it to hopefully print some feet for the printer.

2 Likes

Good to go! onward and upward No sign of wire or filament pull.

3 Likes

Happy with the footprint.

About 10-20mm less deep and more narrow, 50-60mm shorter

3 Likes

Neat and tidy! Can controller, and steppers be shielded from enclosure/heated chamber to enable usage at high temps without shortening electronics lifespan?

I stuck them there so I did not have to extend many wires. You can put it anywhere, I used to have it underneath.

1 Like

Every thing looks great cant wait for the files release. :metal: :+1:

2 Likes

Laggin, my bad.

I am doing little things like putting the idler stand offs on all the parts. I think I am going to release them as is, meaning pretty blocky. So hopefully not too long now.

I do have my first real vacation planned next week so no promises of how much time I will have on this before then, but I am trying.

5 Likes

Well deserved. I’m glad @jeffeb3 approved your vacation request.

2 Likes

:joy:

Well 4 days and I will be checking in at least once a day…probably more.

2 Likes

Anyone wanna try a torture test?

This part was stupid fun. I want to do more to it, but I have spent entirely too much time on it as is.
Z Post.zip (250.3 KB)

Sliced and heating…