Not another MP3DP V4

When you change the parameter, it updates the subassembly, so you have to update that, then update the main assembly.

1 Like

Yup. Did that. Updating the mgn rail subassembly updates it’s length, but then updating the main assembly didn’t seem to change its position.

Was it just the one Z rail or all 3? when i changed the size and did all the updates for mine the Z1 rail (front left if looking at the front of the printer) didnt move but the other 2 did. i just ignored it but it does screw with your head lol

It was the X rail. I never noticed what the Z rails do (but probably will now… thanks :slight_smile: )

I might have found a way to make the parameters work better, or in a less convoluted way. I will take a look soon.

1 Like

Works for me, I think.

• Update parameters file, save file.
  • Open and Update each of the rail file, save each file.
  • Open core XY file, update, save file.
  • Open main MP3DP file, update, save.

Fwiw Ryan recently shared link to linear rails sold in 50mm increments ( chuangneng )

Am also disappointed with the yuge drive space seemingly wasted by windows updates residue. I don’t envy the critical thankless task that the windows updates team manage to do, at the scale they do. But, it feels disrespectful to waste Customers time and disk space the way things are currently implemented.

Appreciated the linear rails 25mm spaced holes being modeled accurately, used those to drill holes in polycarbonate panels to attach the rails.

It’s probably something I screwed up. It’s not that much of an issue.

sounds like my wife…

(I always think your picture is of a one-eyed monster (the snout with the black dot being the eye) with a huge mouth. Took me two months to realize it’s a dog…)

1 Like

Progress! Come to find out, the blanks I cut were big enough. I got f360 updated on the shop laptop and took a second look. The blanks I cut were the bare minimum size in order to work. It just meant that I had to mount it perfectly square on the spoil board.

After a little work, I was able to get the MPCNC to cut the plate.

I then took the aluminum build plate over to the mill and cut some holes and recesses for 3m mounting bolts.

Right now I’m using 20mm springs between the two plates, but I may get some shorter ones. Either that, or I may need to get some 3mm bolts that are 35mm long. We’ll start with what I have and see what the mesh looks like.

I want to get some of the machine built before I mount the bed heater to the aluminum plate.

I recessed the bolts in the aluminum. The plan is to mount the magnetic pei sheet to the aluminum and then drill holes in it for the bolts. I left the end stop mounted on the mill so I can use the existing zeros for drilling the clearance holes in that.

Tomorrow’s plan is to get the extrusion and mgn rails cut to length.

2 Likes

It’s our late dog Kobus, sitting in a water trough for the sheep :grinning: It was very hot that day.

Yeah I would probably cut those springs in half or squish them down really far. You can also use a piece of rubber tubing. It just needs to have a little bit of give for thermal expansion. At the same time if you can’t really move the bed by hand much there is no way a nozzle will while printing. More forgiving this way then a bed slinger.

1 Like

I am mounting mine on silicone spacers. With the active bed leveling I figure they just need to be securely mounted but not rigid to allow for bed expansion.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09XV8LNNT?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Today’s progress.

4 Likes

Sometimes I can be dumb. This time, I was confusing our local atwoods with being a menards. We don’t have a menards. Now I get to find a suitable panel replacement.

Home depot has it, but it’s way more expensive.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SHAPE-PRODUCTS-24-in-x-36-in-x-220-in-White-HDPE-Sheet-2-Pack-HDPE-2436220WHT2PK/323280165

When you get this far and realize your build plate is offset backwards.

Great progress though. I don’t know how MP3DP builders are able to quickly square the frames without exterior/interior panels.

Tape measure, about a thousand times.

Flip the plate over???