Louisiana LR3 build - Orange/Black/Blue

Well, this thread might be getting started a bit prematurely, but maybe starting it will push me to move a little faster…

I’m going to do my best to imitate @azab2c and document what I’m building and thinking along the way (don’t hold me to that…not sure I can live up to it)

Plan

Original plan was to build a full 4’ x 8’ capable LowRider 3 on a folding table similar to Neilp’s The ‘Black and Blue’ LR3 build. My space restrictions require the table to be more complicated, and I rather have a smaller CNC than no CNC at all, so until I solve that problem…

The current plan has been changed to a 4’ x 5’ build. I intend to work like this and try to get by with the smaller size, and when necessary, using locating pins for larger cuts.

Most of my cuts will not be full size, but I intend to do a good bit of cutting on some EVA foam sheets that are 40" x 80", so it would be more convenient if I can get a full sheet build long-term.

My order was placed today for the LR3 Hardware kit, Jackpot CNC Controller and a Makita RT0701C

Color Scheme

Orange, Black and Blue. My wife likes those colors, it was our wedding colors, and will likely be the colors in the logo for our business, so I figured why not.

I am not finished with my digital build yet, but something like this…

Printed Parts

Printing on a 4 year old Ender 3 Pro. It was mostly stock until recently. When I came across these forums in early June and decided I wanted one of these, I made some upgrades to my Ender 3.

• Dual Z Upgrade
  • Z Stabilizers
  • SKR E3 Mini v3 and TFT
  • Change from 0.4 to 0.6mm nozzle

After all of that I completely recalibrated the printer and made sure everything was good using Teaching Tech’s Calibration site.

YZ Plates

I decided I was going to print my YZ plates for temporary use to mill my own later. Since I have a small printer, I needed to print the YZ plates split as @DougJoseph recommended in this thread. Since his parts were the older YZ plate version, I made my own version and that is now posted to Printables.

Split parts were joined with JB Weld MarineWeld, and they seem pretty sturdy. Hopefully they hold up long enough to get my MDF(maybe??) parts cut.

XZ Plates

For now I will go with printed XZ plates. I originally was going to order the Aluminum plates from the shop, but came across Ryan’s post stating that he thought it wasn’t necessary. That was enough for me to at least give it a try and see how it goes.

Mods

The intent is not to mod the build too much from the start, as I rather see it perform as it was designed/intended.

There are a few things that I will do slightly different from the start:

I have small assortment of printed parts so far

and a Core on the way

This is probably enough as a starting post…more to come as time allows. Expect a few months until completion as I have some work travel coming up, etc.

9 Likes

Just bumped the strut contest post so hopefully more people will see it.

What part of Louisiana??

2 Likes

Lafayette

2 Likes

Roger that. My office is in Morgan City and we crew change out of Houma. Used to go to the shipyard in New Ibera a lot but all of our boats are too big to fit though the fresh water bayou locks now

Some of my wife’s family is from Morgan City. We go down there fairly often to Lake Palourde with the camper and boat.

My offshore days ended back in 2011.

1 Like

Parts are looking great so far! I plan on doing most or all of the mods you mentioned as well. I just put the gantry together, but haven’t gotten farther than that yet.

2 Likes

Looking awesome! Thanks for documenting and posting pics and plans! Cool! :smiley:

@aeversme

I love the colors! Check the first few posts in my build thread

Mike

2 Likes

Yep, I had yours saved for reference so I could see what it looked like in Orange, and decide which pieces I wanted orange or not.

It will be similar, just not quite as much orange.

1 Like

Printed at 0.28 layer height. 17.5 hours.

5 Likes

Looking good!

The lighting gives it a glowing effect. Cool!
And to bond PLA (or ABS) together, I use 3D Gloop glue. Works great. Your plastic will break before the bond does :laughing:

Well, at half the price, I’ll let you know how this goes.

I currently have this stuff holding the Transducer on to the back of my boat after the plastic cracked on the housing. I feel pretty safe that this is definitely stronger than my print lol

I assume there’s maybe a cheaper version that might be as strong but not waterproof, it’s just what I had on hand.

1 Like

I was going to try to play up my Louisiana heritage, but you guys are real workin’ folk. I’m an ex city brat from Uptown New Orleans who went to high school in Metairie. Can’t even claim a respectable Jesuit education…

In my defense, the only reason we could afford that schooling was because my Mom worked there. Otherwise… :open_mouth: I might have been able to get into Ben Franklin.

1 Like

I’m a transplant into Lafayette from Gonzales, not too far a drive away from New Orleans.

2 Likes

I did a little more work on my digital build tonight…little update to show what the plan is so far…

Side note: Just realized blue kinda matches the Makita too.

The strut plate and the tool mount will likely be mostly black as well

3 Likes

No worries. If I had the experience with that stuff, and it cost less, I’d use it also :wink: (I’m cheap :laughing:).

Got out there today and threw together what is hopefully a “good enough” table.

Makita router arrived yesterday. V1 package due on Tuesday.

Blue filament arrives tomorrow. All parts except blue done printing.

7 Likes

It’s all coming together!

Cool!