My own take on the spirit of the MPCNC

If you can spring for the spindle, I would go that route personally. Mount is the most rigid and sits closest to the center of the gantry. Although for wood/plastics/foam only, might not need the extra rigidity.

The ID of the makita and 65mm spindle mounts are 65mm for drop in stuff, just need to model a 65mm tube/cylinder then put the pen mounting stuff in it. Just make sure the tip of the pen can reach down to your table (3.5" distance from the bottom of the spindle holder to the table at Z min).

ok. Thanks. Iā€™ll give that a try and thanks for the advice of the spindle. I might be getting into this for the wrong reasons. Either way, Iā€™m going to learn :slight_smile: and have fun.

2 Likes

Sorry to ask another question. I want to make sure I source the right steel tubing. Would 3/4" EMT conduit work for the 1" OD steel tubing (I think the real OD for this would be 0.922") and the same for 1" EMT conduit (real OD would be 1.163") vs. the 1.25" OD steel tubing? If not, what was your source? I donā€™t really want to mess this part up, nor any other ;-).

No worries on the questions!

EMT is not sized right for the mechanics on it, nor is it as stout as the steel tubing. I was personally able to go to my local welding/machine/steel supply shop to pick up the material. If you donā€™t have a local place to get it places like McMaster.com, Onlinemetals.com, and midweststeelsupply.com can ship the material to you if you are in the US.

also these guys. https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/

1 Like

Great! Thanks for the sources and now Iā€™m glad I asked.

2 Likes

Unless I was looking at the wrong pipe type, this is going to be very expensive.

Also check the locals and ask about bot stainless and DOM

1 Like

It should be around $100-$120 for all the tubing for a 2ft by 2ft machine right now, steel pricing is still a little on the silly side right now. If I had to special order material I would do midweststeelsupply since their pricing is right in line with my local shops.

2 Likes

The tubes for me to build a full sheet lowrider was $95, but that was years ago.

If you have a tractor supply, or rural king close by, they sometimes sell DOM steel tube in the welding section. Itā€™s not stainless, but a light coat of paste wax will keep it from rusting.

4 Likes

When I built my Primo I used 1" DOM from Summit Racing.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/AAF-ALL22129-8

Iā€™ve heard other folks say you can get it from Jegs and Tractor Supply Co. too.

2 Likes

Appreciate the recommendations, guessing others do too.

Is there a wiki where people are contributing supplier recommendations? Or should the material/build docs contain something likeā€¦

Rail options

• $ EMT (cheap, probably good enough for starting-out, easily available at Lowes/ HomeDepot)
  • $$ DOM Steel in the welding section, with light coat of paste wax.
  • $$$$ DOM Stainless steel tube.
  • ? Carbon fiber, otherā€¦

Metal Suppliers

Europe

North America

Oceania

1 Like

The only option is steel tubing imo. EMT is dimensionally incorrect, you would wind up spending around $150~$200 on the one piece of 1.25" stainless tubing if you went that route, the 1" SS tubing is almost twice the cost of regular steel tubing, and CF is not suitable for a bearing surface, it could be epoxied to the ID of the steel tubing to increase stiffness but it really isnā€™t needed.

That is a good start to a list of potential places to get the tubing. It is the one thing that I have no clue on how available it is to other people. I have 2 welding/machine shops within 2 miles of me that I can swing in and get material from cut to length, I basically only have to order it if I need a specific size or a specific material that they donā€™t have on hand. I am absolutely on board with putting a good list of places to get the tubing from that people have had good experiences with.

1 Like

Iā€™ve started printing the Brutusā€¦ Still havenā€™t finished the LR3, but I had to sacrifice two of the steppers I ordered for another project so I guess Iā€™ll have to put in a second V1 order for two extra motors and parts for the Brutusā€¦

Do you control the VFD with a 10v control signal or just adjust on the VFD itself?

Does the misting system cause the timber to swell?

1 Like

I just manually control my vfd with a remote switch (fwd/off/rev) and the trim pot on the vfd for speed adjustment.

So far the mist hasenā€™t caused swelling on the MDF base I have the fixture plate and vises mounted to, want to make a new table for it so I havenā€™t bothered coating it with anything.

Iā€™ve only been able to find 1.5mm wall thickness SS tubingā€¦I might shrink the work area down a little to compensate.

Iā€™ll try post some updates in here once I start assembling, it may be a month or so away

2 Likes

A couple for Oz.

Tube from Bunnings

Nuts and Bolts from BoltandNut. This is awesome as you can order the exact number. Just watch the price points listed, as buying an extra one can drop the total price.

I used this power supply from Banggood.

A

2 Likes

Thereā€™s also a free, or low cost, option. When the tarp gives up people give the frame away or sell it for nominal value. Iā€™ve picked up a couple of these and salvaged a load of 4ā€™ lengths of 1" and 1Ā¼" OD tubes for my builds.

3 Likes

I totally want some of these without the tarp!

1 Like

Just to put my .02c in on the matter of steel tubing, I was able to get everything in 11ga (.125 wall) 304 stainless from cormark metals for right around $220. A bit pricy, but I have a lot of humidity to combat.

This is also sized for a 2ft x 4ft (with a smidge of extra) cutting space. I havenā€™t finished printing and assembling, but all of the parts are pouring in and half assembled on my desk as things come off the bed. All in Iā€™m at about $550 without PLA+ cost, wiring and controller. The power supply I have is a 300w 24v supply I ripped from a robotic vending machine at work for free.

2 Likes