LowRider 3– Core collision

Jono— here’s the only part I could find the dimension (25.4) embossed. I also attached a photo of the tube against a ruler to determine if I purchased the correct tube from Lowe’s.

1 Like

That looks like you’re using EMT? I think you should have the 23.4mm version of things.

You should be able to see the size tube that the part is for embossed on the strut braces and the core as well. Perhaps take the core off and take a close look?

3 Likes

Yeah, I was looking to see if 1" emt would solve this so you can easily go on, but it does not look like it.

Are all your parts the 25.4 version?
see below:

3 Likes

From one of the images, it almost looks like the brace isn’t at a true 90 degree angle on the rail (it could just be the photo). Do you have a small square you can use to make sure the braces are aligned?

2 Likes

I’m afraid my opinion matches @RockinRiley .

If the core is size specific, I missed something when I printed mine, so either that’s a positive for you, or a negative for me, as I will be reprinting my core in a matter of days if I missed that being size dependent.

The downside is, I couldn’t find proof in the photos, that you sourced 1” EMT, or 3/4 EMT, and printed 1” DOM parts. But that is where I was leaning. It was either that, or the proper tightening of the bearing bolts on the core. (There was a topic that I read not long ago, where it was the tightening of the bearing bolts on the core, but I’m failing on finding that again)

I know resources might be stopping you from providing this, but the measurements of the tubes you’ve used in mm, might be the variable that answers your options. Aka: Assuming you are in the states, if it’s 3/4 EMT (23.4mm), reprinting the parts that are size specific would be option A. Or if you purchase 1” tubing (not 1” EMT in the states) that would be option B. (In my limited experience, option B is the more expensive option, if you have your own printer, but it is a option)

I hope this helps! :blush:

2 Likes

So it looks like all your parts are the wrong size. You purchased these from @vicious1 Ryan?

4 Likes

That says 25.4mm.

This is showing you have 23.4mm EMT.

You have the wrong sized printed parts, If you want to cover shipping I will send out the correct parts for 3/4" EMT conduit you have. Or you can go to a local steel supplier and buy 25.4mm DOM tubing (A slightly better option in terms of machine rigidity, but it costs more).

2 Likes

Welcome @dherbert01!

Looks like an opportunity to end up with a stronger machine with 25.4 DOM tubing. Happy with my 3/4" EMT, but on reflection, wish I’d invested in 25.4 instead (for X gantry) and shopped around for pipe. Would still use 1/2" EMT for Y rail since blocks are spaced just ~8" apart.

3 Likes

So you ordered 23.4 parts, but received 25.5 parts instead? That kinda sucks, but TBH I’m in the same camp as Aza. Finding 1" DOM probably wasn’t part of your plan and will add to the overall cost, but stiffer framing never hurts when it comes to cnc.

1 Like

@SlowRider The brace wasn’t tight, so it was leaning a bit. Thanks for your observation.

@RockinRiley Ughhhh… I was afraid of that.

Thanks @pony1023 for laying out my options. I’m thinking about going with option A, which is costly. I have purchased and hacksawed 23.4 and 25.4 emt conduit already.

@RockinRiley thanks for inviting Ryan to the discussion.

@vicious1 Let me check with the local steel suppliers (Maryland) to see if I can source 1 inch DOM tubes. Would it be possible to get replacements x braces for the two I cracked while trying to slide 24.5 emt conduit through?

Thanks @azab2c for the warm welcome to the forum. I really like it here. Everyone is so helpful. Anyway, I’m leaning toward 1” DOM. It’s good to hear you’re pleased with 3/4 emt version. Thanks for the list of suppliers.

1 Like

Sure just ping me on Tuesday. I am leaving for MRRF and will be pretty brain fried until I get home.

2 Likes

Will do. Enjoy MRRF!

Thanks @azab2c for the list of places to purchase tubes. Well, today I purchased the last three round 16 gauge 1” steel tubes from the Tractor Supply store. I got two 3ft, and one 4ft. They were pretty dusty, so I did my best polishing them up. I think I came out on top with the exception of two cracked x braces. :sunglasses:

1 Like

How isit now??

1 Like

The core moves absolutely smooth. Hooray!!

6 Likes