X Axis fitment

I’ve read all the other threads like this. I cut my x pipes (1" EMT conduit) and the 25.4 braces don’t fit, plus it’s just way too large to allow the LR Core onto the pipes.

I then cut my 3/4 emt pipe that I was going to use for the y axis, and that was too loose for the braces.

what the heck. Is there some Magic 1" OD emt pipe that I’m missing. Mine says exactly that.

1 Like

I guess I could try to measure the length and print another LR Core approxamately with that inner distance. Not sure it will work though, plus the braces are like cracking. Could use step files for those too I guess.

I measured my 1" emt pipe and it comes to about 1 1/8"

Hello @Just_bright!

Hope this related topic helps :

Like you said, 1" EMT has inside diameter ~1", so outside is larger ( ~1-1/8"). You’ll need 1" DOM (Drawn Over Mandrel) if you want to use the 25.4 braces.

Depending on where you’re locating, sourcing info in this post may help. Cheers!

Because the meds have worn off, and I enjoy spewing this bit of triviata every now and again:

Conduit and Pipe are important because of the amount of stuff you can push through them, so they tend to be measured by ID (inner diameter), so you can quickly tell how much cabling/fluid/gas/etc. you can get through it. Then you might get a wall thickness so you can figure out how much pressure you can put that stuff under before you get a blowout.

Tubing is usually important as an architectural or structural component, so it’s measured by OD (outside diameter), so you can tell where it will fit. You’re more likely to get a wall thickness, since that’s very important to how much stuff it can hold up.

So, Ryan has standardized on three sizes: ‘C’, ‘F’, & ‘J’, which are easiest to remember as Conduit (3/4" ID EMT conduit @ 23.5mm OD, found in North America), Foreign (25mm OD tubing for the rest of the world), and Jumbo (1" OD tubing @ 25.4mm).

Yes, it’s nonsensical, but that’s construction for you. The trickiest is usually pipe, because sometimes, that gets measured by OD, but conduit and tubing are pretty consistent in how they are measured. It’s definitely a case where you want to read the fine print, or be very clear in your request/requirements.

If you do look at tubing, you do need to think about wall thickness. Ryan has some guidance on wall thickness (0.065" - 0.120"), and in general, thicker is stiffer, but it’s also heavier. So you’ll reach either a point of diminishing returns where it starts sagging under its own weight, or you have to slow d o w n because things have gotten too heavy. i.e., It’s been thought about, and tested on plenty of machines, and the suggestions are very good.

2 Likes

Yes, 1” TUBING is 25.4 mm OD (outside diameter)

3/4” EMT is 23.4 mm OD.

1” EMT is 29.5 mm OD.

You will need to buy smaller conduit and reprint the 23.4 braces, or buy 1” steel tubing and use the already printed 25.4 braces.

1 Like

This is getting expensive guys…

I have tried 3 different emt sizes and NONE of them fit. Not even close.

What is going on?

Im over $100 into these pipes already and getting a little more than frustrated

Of course it doesnt fit. F.m.l.

Did you print your own parts?

yes I did

and I’ve tried different materials for the braces

Have you calibrated your printer before or check the dimensions of the braces that were printed? Maybe something is off there?

so heres the problem…

What size emt do I use for 25.4 braces?

I now have 3/4 emt, 1" emt and another sized 1" pipe

If 1” EMT isn’t fitting I’d check two things. I’d take some kind of measurement tool. Digital Calipers preferred but you can make by with a tape measurer. Check the size of the 1” emt see if it’s 1” outter diameter (edge to edge). If it is check the size of the brace. Should be close to a 1” (not bigger than 1” 1/4”)

1 Like

1 Like

I guess my issue was I had assumed the 25.4mm braces were for the 1" pipe but apparently they dont fit anything

So reprinting another 8 or so of the next size down i guess might fix it