Atezr 20W and 36W laser machines, LightBurn, miscellaneous ops and observations

Over in @robertbu’s 40W Diode laser module thread, I shared that I had finally made the leap to a 20W quad-diode machine… the Atezr P20 Plus laser engraver. A higher-end machine, it represented a definite step up from the Neje A40640 dual-diode laser modules/machines I’ve previously plugged. I was a fairly early adopter of that laser module (and IIRC so was Robert) and I’ve had nothing but positive experiences with it. But this new laser machine is a “beast” by comparison… it’s all-metal , big (430mm X 430mm work area), sturdy, fast , powerful , and easily put together with 25 - 30 screws. It comes complete with air-assist , a fancy touch-screen display (which I detest and, thankfully, is not required to use the machine), runs Grbl 1.1h , and is Lightburn and V1PI/CNC.js compatible, right out of the box.

My only “gripe” was that I wasn’t far-sighted enough to realize that the ability to cut longer jobs and thicker materials indoors was going to be accompanied by much more smoke than I’m used to. As a result I had to endure an additional waiting period to come up with a smoke-extraction solution before I could really use it as intended. But, thankfully, Atezr already had that covered… an enclosure designed for this machine that works quite well and is far better and cheaper than any DIY solution I might have concocted.

In addition to some early smoky tests I did indoors…

I’m now able to do smoke-free jobs for important people, such as my grand-daughter…

All these pieces are about a 10 minute cut in 1/8" plywood at 400 mm/min, 90-100% power, and a single pass. I used Lightburn to do all scaling and adjusting for 1:24 and 1/8" plywood…

Other than the effort involved with adding a new exhaust vent to the window where my CO2 laser is already vented, this machine has been absolutely flawless in its assembly and operation. Granted, it’s a higher-end machine ($1199 + $189 for the enclosure) than I’m used to but, just as with my Prusa MK-3S 3d-printer, I’m loving the power, convenience, and intelligent design right out of the box. At this late stage, I’m appreciating not having to fight and struggle to make the machine more than it was when it arrived… it’s really nice, as is, and I couldn’t ask for more.

Diode laser technology is progressing rapidly… now that they’re figuring out how to stack/combine multiple laser diodes into one beam. Four, six, and even eight-diode laser modules are now coming on the market and they’ve rapidly become more than just “engravers”. Although my new 20W quad-diode laser machine has already been rendered “only modest” by comparison… I’m thrilled with it anyway. It’s a fun machine to play with… and my grand-daughter approves. That’s good enough for me.

:smiley:

– David

17 Likes

So fascinating to me. Here is a teardown, 20-Watt Atomstack M100 Laser Module Tear-down | Laser Pointer Forums - Discuss Laser Pointers | High Power Lasers, at the end there is a 6 diode coming…

I had to look up some of the descriptions they had in that thread. So cool, knife edging, stacking the lasers at the edge of a mirror. The fact that they stack them so all the long edges are parallel gives you a square dot. Those pictures show how well they are actually aligned. So cool. I wonder if there would be any benefit with stacking slightly different wavelengths. Maybe some cut raw wood better and some cut the charred wood better, or get through the smoke.

Now I want one of those cool laser tables they have in labs, so I can learn more about optics.

2 Likes

And that is all the really matters!!!

2 Likes

Too much fun! An old man should have better things to do…

A 17-minute job run at 400 mm/min, 100%, single pass… and no smoke.

Took me just a bit longer to assemble it with the dog’s help… but I did cheat! There are numbers engraved by each slot… you can see part of one on the back leg, last photo. I made it tight enough to press fit and hold together without glue… but it’s still easy to put a leg on backwards.

I used Lightburn to first scale the whole cut pattern to a convenient size that fit my material and then I used their really neat “Resize slots in selection” tool to resize all the slots to the material thickness in one “swell foop”. What a time saver not having to resize all the slots one at a time…

Whew! That tuckered me out… time for a nap!

– David

8 Likes

This looks fantastic. Seeing this I’d love to get a laser, my son would love it. So cool.

That sounds interesting. Can you do that with any dxf? Would be great for by French cleat, wooden robots etc.

/edit: It does work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QANniNsMhr8 But I think I can’t buy Lightburn just for that… :smiley:

3 Likes

I didn’t know about that new Resize slots in selection tool, it saves lot of time ! Thank you to have put it forward!
But I’ll have to upgrade my licence as mine expired in Nov 2022 and that new tool was released in Dec 2022 :face_with_diagonal_mouth:
I think i’ll wait the next major release to upgrade as i don’t have much time for laser stuffs right now, or for the next cut project that would need hudge slots resizing.

1 Like

There was one slot on the top-most piece that, for some odd reason, didn’t detect and adjust with the others. I saw absolutely no reason why it shouldn’t… so I did have to adjust one slot manually with the node editor. I’ll probably check into it further when the spirit moves me… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sadly, it didn’t handle the enclosed slots on the doll furniture, either. I wouldn’t be shocked/surprised, however, if/when that feature might appear some day as well.

EDIT: Just watched the LaHobbyGuy’s video on this and it does work with enclosed slots and tabs.

So, it’s not perfect but it’s such a handy and time-saving [but unexpected] feature, I’m not gonna gripe about it. The Lightburn folks are adding neat new capabilities at an unbelievable [to me] rate, so I’m just gonna hide and watch… and renew my license (I’m now “stuck” on LB 1.3.01) again if/when I see something new that I just can’t live without.

– David

3 Likes

I just checked, the license renewal costs half the price of the license, pleasantly surprised !

2 Likes

Been watching too many of LaHobbyGuy’s vids again. He does a 2" coin that he gives out at shows and events that serves as his “business card”… and folks aren’t as inclined to throw it in the trash as they leave, as with paper business cards.

I don’t always agree with him but, in this, I think he makes sense… and he does nice work.

So, I decided to give it a try and keep it somewhat “relevant” to our particular crowd… and all done in Lightburn and with the new laser, of course. :grin:

Still trying to dial in the speeds/power but I can see this being a nice way to introduce people to your work and possibly use up some scrap. He engraves his contact information – business name, URL, email, phone number, whatever – on the back.

– David

12 Likes

@dkj4linux those look great! Also thanks for the slot adjustment pointer. I just purchased my first LB license around Christmas so I’m hoping that it was part of that build.

So did you measure your laser kerf and set that as the tolerance or did you do some trial and error sample tests to work out the best friction fit?

1 Like

@Bigchepin,

I think the “resize slots” adjustment was introduced with the LB’s 1.3.01 update.

I think you could use this kerf test generator but I used this one from several years ago…

Using 0.1mm as the kerf offset yielded a closed box that fits together and holds with no glue…

I never went back and reran the tests over a lower range as the 0.1 mm really seemed a nice tight fit… without being “too tight”.

So, now, when I use kerf compensation to cut something from boxes.py, I set their “burn” parameter to 0 and then set LB’s “kerf offset (mm)” to 0.1mm. That results in the closed box from their site, as shown above, but also the doll furniture and saber tooth tiger from my previous posts (from other sites) that slip together nicely tight and require no glue to hold them together.

– David

3 Likes

That’s awesome ! if you end-up to make a nice Material library(cut, engraving, “carving”) from all your tests, i would be interressed if you would be willing to share it.
Mine is a sculpfun S30 20W but same optical power should be quite closed over different brands.

2 Likes

I don’t have any Material libraries of my own to share… otherwise I would. Mine have all been downloaded from the LaHobbyGuy’s “members only” files and downloads area.

If you haven’t already, sign up (it’s free) and you’ll have access to a bunch of Material libraries that Rich has graciously provided. The last two libraries added have been “XTool-D1-20W.clb” and “Atezr-20W.clb”…

– David

2 Likes

David I absolutely love those designs!!! I need to find a way to use those. Mind sharing the files? I might need to scale them up a bit, but that would be a awesome V-carve test file. Maybe sneak a v1e.com in there somewhere.
Seriously, those are great designs. Thank you for always making cool V1stuff.

4 Likes

Those might make for some cool stickers.

2 Likes

Thank you, Ryan. Don’t mind at all sharing the files… included are svg, dxf, and LB files. Please let me know if I missed something…

– David

V1Engineering-coins.zip (163.7 KB)

7 Likes

You are the best, thank you! Just got an email with a coupon code for some stickers…kismet.

2 Likes

Or a front and rear Tshirt logo… Top one over chest pocket, and the left one blown up on back

3 Likes

Ohhhhh good idea.

1 Like

Speaking of “good ideas” – an observation

Running out of flat surfaces to put machines on – and still wanting on occasion to use my low-power lasers to do engraving on ceramic tiles and such – I happened to think (in the middle of the night… as crazy ideas often do nowadays :crazy_face:) to see if the Atezr laser’s large workspace (430mm x 430mm) might possibly double for my $79 Cenoz/Banggood 2.3W laser machine. Hey, no sweat! There’s plenty of room to install and remove the smaller machine…

Not only that, the enclosure’s exhaust fan and air assist are also available and can be operated separately… apart from the Atezr machine.

Not a real biggie, of course, but a surprisingly good idea for an old man to think of in the middle of the night (when not entertaining company, obviously!)… :wink:

7a6h

– David

4 Likes