A 40W Diode Laser Module

This YouTube video just came across my feed. It is a new (preorder) laser module by XTool. Last year XTool introduced a four-beam, 20W optical, module that is highly regarded in diode laser cutting shootouts. I don’t know if this is really a 40W optical module, but it appears to be significantly more powerful than their 20W module. Unfortunately, it has a price tag to match…$999.

I’m sure a YouTuber will do a shootout between this module and a K40 CO2 laser, and then we will get a real idea of the 40W module’s performance. I’m excited about how much more powerful diode laser modules have become in just a couple of years. Unfortunately, powerful ones are still really expensive for my hobbyist budget.

2 Likes

Robert,

In a moment of weakness – and because the newer quad-diode laser modules would represent a significant leap up from my dual-diode Neje A40640 modules-- I just pulled the trigger on the Atezr P20 20W laser engraver a few days ago… I’m still waiting for it to ship. As my “one of these days…” are running fewer and fewer and I need something new to play with, I decided to take the leap. It’s currently got a $300 discount on a $1200 machine… but I had no plans to buy a bass boat this year anyway. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Rich, the LaHobbyGuy, reviewed it several months ago and thought very highly of it…

I know it’s maybe shocking to some to hear but I’m just not motivated enough anymore to “scratch-build” much of anything… possibly due to the funk and lack of concentration I’ve had for a couple of years now. I’ve become lazy and more inclined to just buy a store-bought, highly-rated, well-built, machine to see what I may be missing out on. I was also talking to my daughter the other day and realized that all my DIY machines have no documentation to accompany them… and whoever inherits these things won’t have a clue what they are and how to operate them. So, now, this way I’ll have a couple of store-bought machines – with manuals – that maybe will be of use to my kids. My daughter has already gotten into laser engraving with Lightburn so I think I’ll earmark this fancy one for her… pretty sure she’ll be one to use and appreciate it.

Oh, yeah, I hate the CO2 laser I have. The machine itself is okay… but it’s just no fun to use. Big, bulky, crappy interface, etc. If this new machine can handle 1/2" plywood… the CO2 can find a new home for all I care. IMO I don’t need it.

– David

10 Likes

I also took the plunge at the beginning of January by offering myself the Sculpfun S30 pro 20W at 719€ instead of 1300€ in normal times.

Really performs well on 10mm plywood. Even if it is able to cut it in 1 pass I do not recommend it because at 100% slow speed it chars the wood too much and at slow speed the lens is more exposed to the fumes.
So much cleaner in 2 passes at 70%/200mm/min.
I would say an enclosure with air extraction is definitely mandatory with that kind of usage.
I’ve choosen that one, unavailable now in France but i got it at 70€:
https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B0B1ZRT3TW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

In addition to being able to release the fumes, the box reinforces the safety of the user by blocking a large part of the rays which could bounce up to our eyes. The enclosure is also made with a flame retardant material which seems to be very effective.

I saw the xtool 40W laser diode 2 days ago but no regrets, impressive but too much expensive for me for a module, lets see in few years if prices drops as it could become a new standard…

On the difference between the Xtool 40W diode laser and a 40W CO2 laser, one of the differences is the level of the wavelength of what it allows to cut.
40W laser diode can’t cut clear and white acrylic for example whereas it is supposed to be possible with a CO2 laser.

2 Likes

The wavelength will have an impact on cutting other materials as well…even wood The comparison I want to see is wood cutting. I cut a lot of wood in the last 15 months. If this laser can cut 3/4 plywood in a reasonable number of passes and without extensive charring, it starts to give a router come competition. This is also the first laser with this power, and I would expect other companies to have similar modules soon…Like the XTool and Sculptun did with 20W laser modules.

1 Like

The fancy new Atezr P20 Plus 20W (quad-diode) laser machine has arrived… and begs to be played with. This beast is big (430mm X 430mm work area), fast, powerful, all-metal, and easily put together with 25 - 30 screws. It comes with air-assist, a fancy touch-screen display (which I detest and, thankfully, is not required to use the machine), runs Grbl 1.1h, and is Lightburn and V1PI/CNC.js compatible. Other than in Step 1, where I mistakenly swapped the left and right sides, with 16 screws to be undone and redone, there was not a single issue with assembly or test… i.e. it ran perfectly out of the box.

There are a couple of things that can be cussed/discussed but, all in all, nothing to make me regret the purchase. The biggest problem is that it is a major smoke generator. If you wanna run this thing indoors, you’ll definitely need to figure out a way to handle the smoke when cutting anything with any thickness to it. Silly me, this morning I started reading/studying the forums and cobbling together a plan for DIY smoke extraction… fans, ducting, too-small generic laser enclosures, etc. Then it occurred to me I ought to go see what the Atezr shop might offer and… there it was! An all-in-one solution, right there in their store… imagine that! An suitably large enclosure with everything needed for $189, and, right now, an additional $20 discount… and no headache from trying to piece together a DIY solution that would undoubtedly cost more in the end. I didn’t hesitate to order it. I’ll need to wait to do anymore cutting of thicker materials. The 15mm western cedar piece below was cut in 2 passes at 100 mm/min and 100%… and tons of smoke.

Engraving at 3000 mm/min, 35% power, in yellow pine 2x4 scrap…

I didn’t intend this to be a review of the Atezr P20 Plus machine but I felt I needed to suggest that, with these powerful new lasers, you probably should be thinking of a smoke-extraction strategy from the git-go.

– David

5 Likes

There is a place for build and a place for buy. I will build to save money or to learn. I buy to use!

I am really curious about these more powerful lasers, I would like to be able to easily cut patterns though knife handles to them resin cast. I am also curious about the IR diode lasers that can engrave steel like fiber laser.

Keep us up to date, thanks.

If you are going to be working with smaller items like knife handles, consider a Lightburn enabled, K40 CO2 laser engraver. Most K40 lasers cannot use Lightburn out of the box, but I know Monport sells one that does for $600. For all the progress made by diode lasers, CO2 lasers are still better at most things.

As for a fiber laser, I’ve not seen anything sold as a “fiber laser module,” but XTool sells an infrared module. This module works in the same frequency range as a fiber laser. You won’t be cutting knife blanks with it, but it should do a nice job of engraving metal. And if XTool is selling an infrared laser module, it is likely there are others doing the same.

Stop you going to make me spent to much money if this goes on any longer :smiley::money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

More YouTube videos of this laser module are trickling in. It is an eight-diode laser with a square, 0.15 dot size. I see one big caution about anyone considering this module.

What they are selling is an upgrade kit for their D1 laser engraver. The kit includes a new gantry and a new control board. There are eleven wires between the control board and the laser, so you really need to know how this laser is functioning before you can get it working with some other control board. It may be as simple as independent power to each diode laser, but it could also be something more complex.

Here are two YouTube video reviews:

Spoiler: In both videos, the presenters managed to start a fire attempting to cut through a 2 x 4. They damaged their machines.

The first video made a brief comparison between a 50W CO2 laser and this 40W diode module. They were pretty comparable for cardboard:

Earlier in the video, he does a basswood comparison (CO2 is superior), but the sample is labeled as 20W, not 40W, so it is unclear if this comparison is valid.

I’d still love to see a head-to-head comparison between this module and a K40 laser across a variety of materials. It is possible the different wave lengths of the lasers will be better for some materials. I would also expect the CO2 to be better for cutting thick materials.

Nice work mate, Stop you going to make me spent to much money if this goes on any longer . Btw I’m using monport lasers and the works are pretty awesome.