Aluminum Feeds & Speeds trouble

I’ve been trying to work out feeds and speeds for aluminum. I have a 5/16” 3 flute speed tools bit advertised for non ferrous metals.

Anyone have any recommendations? It starts out fine and then eventually the bit grabs and pulls the whole router off track.

I’ve gotten down to 600mm/min and only taking .5mm per pass but it still messes up on me.
Also running the bit at 12,000rpm as the spe chart shows.

Ive tried adding air to blow on the bit as well to clear chips and a little cooling. I’d really rather not use a cooling liquid as my table is plywood.

Any suggestions? Should I be moving the bit faster? I started at 1000mm/min. I have move down to 600mm/min. Worried about breaking the bit if I went faster.

I feel the number one thing to improve your cutting experience browsing the forum is going to go from a 3 flute to a single.

Most of the people I’ve observed successfully milling aluminum, use a single flute, and enough IPA with an air/mist nozzle to barely dampen the surface of the aluminum. A few of those have a spindle that might be doing slower RPM’s than you. Those that are using IPA say it keeps the aluminum “cold”.

Hopefully one of them will offer better information, than what I’ve just gleamed from the forum. One day I hope to experience aluminum chips.

1 Like

I would go with a single or 2 flute at most, especially at that size of end mill for our machines. You also have a ton of tool stick out that is not helping, run the shortest flute you can get away with as far in to the spindle as you can. My feeds in aluminum are usually in the 750~1500mm/min depending on tool in use and type of cut being made.

So the bit is extra long as it is for a specific job that has a deep pocket. I’m just trying to work out feeds and speeds on test material first before plunging into my expensive piece.

Which at this point I’m sure glad I didn’t go for it initially cause I would have wrecked the piece for sure.

I have no idea why it’s a 3 flute bit. I had previously read about single flute being better for this.

My research had suggested that aluminum would mill very similar to wood but this has been nothing like any of the different woods I have milled in the past

IPA? Isopropyl Alcohol? Thats an interesting idea for coolant. I wouldn’t be opposed to giving that a try. That at least would saturate my wood table with some sort of oil.

I was wondering if cooling isn’t really my issue since I get several good cuts before it goes haywire.

Trochoidal milling!

Lets you do 5mm passes in one go with a 1/8. :smiley: No cooling needed either.

I have a 1/4 two flute for aluminium as well. :slight_smile:

That’s pretty cool. I don’t think my CAM software will do anything like that. I’m using KIRI:Moto

Hmm, I just googled it. Fusion and EstlCAM have it at least. Since Estlcam is free as an unlimited trial, you might as well give it a shot, at least for aluminium. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I generally use the single flute 1/8” from Ryan…

And definitely use Trochoidal milling. I run full DOC for the material. I also use a mist coolan of IPA and it does keep it nice and cool. But it isn’t a total have to. I’ve done it without as well but I find it leaves a better finish with it.

What clamp is that?

Might have been those: CNC Clamp by Holy1 - Thingiverse

It’s been a while though. My new table does not have those inserts as hold-downs.

Yes, my apologies for using an abbreviation, Isopropyl Alcohol.

@Jonathjon is the success story I watch for cutting aluminum (and other stuff), he was one of the people I was hoping was going to chim in.
@Tokoloshe is a big advocate of Trichoidal milling, and as you can see Johnathan also uses it. I didn’t think about mentioning that until after I posted.
So the people I watch for that knowledge have offered up the info I was hoping you would get from experienced users. Instead of me, that understood the theory.

This might be of interest to you as well.

1 Like

My own 3d printed ones. Made them similar to a metal version I saw.
I keep meaning to clean up the stl and post them on thingiverse.

I based my design off these Slab Clamp Dogs

No, its a 3d printed version i designed based off these.
Slab Clamp Dogs

I will be looking into how to do that. Kiri:Moto does not have that option that I’m seeing

Is there a reason you don’t want to use Estlcam?

What kind of setup are you using to control the mist? and would denatured alcohol work or does it need to be IPA? I assume its the evaporation that is providing the cooling effect so i’m thinking any alcohol would work

I mainly use a Mac and it didn’t appear to be compatible when i looked into it.

He asked about mine, so the link was correct. :yum:

1 Like

I use [this](Mist Coolant Lubrication Spray… Amazon.com) mounted to @DougJoseph kenematic mount

I don’t see why the denatured alcohol wouldn’t work but I’m not really sure