X & Y calibration.

Hi to all!

I have a Chinese version of mpcnc but i cant calibrate it well.

I use :

16 Teeth 2GT Timing Pulley with GT2 Belt 2GT Timing Belt 6mm and nema 17 steppers with EstlCam latest version.

My problem is that i am getting larger items . What i mean … For ex. Y cut 70mm went 78 and z cut 39 mm went 41

I know that something is wrong in machine settings in Estlcam but i can’t find it.

In the other side z axis is ok.

I want to ask you some help.

Thanks for your time.

[EDIT - ADDITIONAL INFO]

Drivers: Drv8825 For RAMPS
Firmware: Latest from here for MPCNC
Board: Keyestudio MEGA 2560 R3 and RAMPS 1.4

Chinese version?

What drivers and what firmware on what board?

1 Like

Hello! I made an edit on my first post with the info . Thank you

Your axis are moving at two different rates, that should not be possible.

Try again using a pen to plot something larger at least a 100mm square.

The information you have given does not point to any problems but you also haven;t actually given much info.

Try counting the pulley teeth to verify what you have is what you bought. Use this page to verify the movements if you have to, https://www.v1engineering.com/assembly/software/

Is 50mm really 50mm?

i made setup again with estlcam , now works great. ~0 mm in 100mm . Thank you!

Cool, glad to hear it.

Im using estlcam and having in calibrating axes with estlcam im using an arduino uno and tb6560 drivers on my mpcnc the z axes is a t8 lead screw, is there a step by step in calibration this set up?

There should be some equations to set the correct numbers. If they are not shown you can do the math by guess and check. Move one axis 50mm, measure it and adjust. The numbers should be nice and round, there isn’t really any calibration, just setting them correctly.

David I saw your reply but you did not reply here, you need to click through the email link to reply here.

I do not have a file for the uno and estlcam-control. Estlcam-control flashes the board for you with it’s own firmware. I only really have experience with Marlin firmware.

I appreciate your input ryan

If your machine is basically functional and moves consistently/repeatably the same amount (even if wrong) when commanded to do so, you can calibrate it using a very simple procedure. It doesn’t matter the drive setup, the firmware, or even the source/magnitude of any inaccuracy (as long as it’s repeatable)… you only need an accurate ruler, the command console, and access/ability to adjust the steps/mm settings in your firmware.

As soon as I can move an axis under power, I like to rubber band a wooden skewer to my tool mount, lay a ruler on the work surface in line with the axis, and lower the skewer point to a point as close as possible (without touching) above a major division on the ruler. Then enter a gcode command from the console to move a safe amount (start small… say 50mm, 100mm, etc) and observe where the skewer tip moves relative to the ruler’s scale. For example, if you commanded 100mm and actually only moved 98mm and your current steps/mm setting is 80… that setting needs to be increased to add enough steps to make up the 2mm it fell short. Use the following to determine the new steps/mm setting…

(Commanded movement / actual movement) * current steps/mm setting

so, plugging in the values… (100/98) * 80 = 1.02040816327 * 80 = 81.63

Adjust the steps/mm setting to 81.63 and rerun the test… you should see very close to 100mm actual movement for a 100mm commanded move. You can do this as many times as you need to… and greater accuracy will be gained with as large a movement as your axis will allow.

I often print/engrave rulers with my machines… and the same procedure can be used to check/verify the machine’s calibration. I recommend using Jamie’s test pattern generator to print rulers for each axis…

In the first and second photos, the X ruler was initially ~0.75mm long (over 100mm) and the steps/mm value adjusted by 0.9926 – (100/100.75) – to bring it to near “dead on”, when compared to an commercial metal ruler.

While the “round” steps/mm numbers that’s often recommended for known designs, using known commercial components, is often “good enough” for most purposes… it won’t necessarily guarantee accurate rulers. And to truly “calibrate” a particular machine (which may be unfamiliar to you and/or use non-standard or printed drive system parts… i.e. R&P MPCNC) will require going through a procedure similar to the above, to bring it into proper adjustment. The great thing IMO is that you don’t have to know anything about tooth counts, belt pitch, micro-stepping, driver type, or even the source(s) of inaccuracy (as long as it’s repeatable)… this method will enable your to adjust your machine to produce accurate parts/results.

5 Likes

Wanted to say thanks for this. Very helpful. I originally thought it three years old but realised I can’t read properly.

All the best

Rob