V bits estlcam

The other thing that can mess it up is the depth. If you set it to only go 1mm deep, it can’t go deep enough to clear the path in one go.

2 Likes

So if i have the depth set to 1.5mm and the widest part of the bit doesnt hit until lets say 7mm then that would cause it to do what it is doing as referenced in the picture above?

Yeah. It won’t send the tip of the bit deeper than 1.5mm, so it can’t get any wider at that point. It depends on the bit angle and the bit depth. But usually you want to just let it go as deep as it wants.

There are two depth settings. One is on the tool, which determines how deep per pass. Then one on the toolpath, which is the max depth on the final pass.

Ok, so lets say the widest part of the bit starts at 7mm deep for an example. If i set the max depth to 7mm and the widest part of the bit is 12mm would it then allow it to go in the single passes i am looking for? I also greatly appreciate the help btw.

I am only doing a depth per pass of 0.25mm as idk what the machine can do safely without dulling the bit to much and still giving nice clean results

It will be able to cut paths 12mm wide or smaller at that point.

The preview in the first screen fills the whole area with circles. But the machine preview should show basically one line. So you should be able to tell right away if it is working.

That’s pretty thin. The vbit work I’ve done has been pretty resilient. If it only adds up to 15 mins, just go for it at 0.25mm. It it ends up being over an hour at that depth, I would try pushing it more. 2mm or so seems about right. A test cut on some scrap would give you more confidence.

If you are worried about the bit longevity, deeper is better. If you cut one pass at 2mm it will wear the first 2mm by one pass. If you cut it at 0.25mm, only the tip will get worn and it will be 8x more worn.

here is the dxf

gas redo.dxf (180.4 KB)

You can see that it takes me like, 10 minutes, DOC 3mm per pass. Estlcam is often wrong with carvings, so I guess it could also be 20. You can also see that except for the S, where it makes 2 small lines, it does one line.

Here you can see that it needs 3 passes to reach the needed depths for the width you want. Upper right corner has got the settings for the endmill.

2 Likes

Ok how your screenshots look is what I am trying to accomplish however my estlcam doesnt even show the lines in the middle of the letters like that. How do you have the extended bar for the settings? Mine does not have that many options.

You have it set to 3mm depth per pass, so a total of 9mm deep? Or what did you set yoir max depth at?

And with this maybe i have some settings wrong on the arduino/ramps board itself because 3mm set in estlcam is like going through half a 12.7mm board. Any idea where i have to correct that at? If you go back up to the first set of pics i uploaded the very first pic that has GASK on it is like a 30mm thick board and the K was set at 2mm deep and it more than halfway through the board

Again thank you guys so much for the help

Max depth is automatic based on your parameters, I tried to explain that above somewhere. :smiley:

If it goes too far maybe somewhere inch and cm are mixed up in the settings?

Ok I am going to try and give it another go here 8n a little bit and see what happens

So i did retry and seems as the real issue is the settings somehwere else. Maybe within the arduino settings. The attached picture is set for 3mm max depth however you can see that 3mm went the entire length of the bit plus some as the bit is 13.9mm and the machine thinks that that is 3mm deep. Anyone know where i need to correct this setting at?

Would you mind taking a screenshot of your settings for that bit? You can show the other lines you are missing here:

The problem could also be in those settings. mm and inches might somewhere be messed up:

This is all the settings i could think of but seems as if everything is correct.

I do load it into Repetier after saving from estlcam in order to save it on sd card and run on the machine.

This is thise settings. I am not sure if they will have any effect or not

1/2 inch is 12,7mm, you set 7 for the selected V-Grove, the rest of the settings looks good to me, I might be missing something though.

Yea youre right it is 12.7mm however i was playing with it some to try to trick it from gping to deep
Here is the other pic with all the settings that yours is set up

I don’t know anything about those settings of Repetier, sorry. I do everything in Estlcam.

Can you save this as an e10 please and uload it as a Zip?

Do you run your machine directly feom your laptop? Or can you save it to sd card through estlcam?

This. :slight_smile: The cable would not really work for a large LR though. :smiley: