Plasma cutter MPCNC (Norway)

Before i even consider starting to print parts for the primo version, i want to be sure that my printer is up for it (especially the core). How much accuracy is recuired from the printer? I did an xyz test a while ago, and it wasnt exactly perfect… the surface is caused by thin walls, but im more conserned about the angles. will this cause me issues?

The part is supposed to be 100mm all directions.

I had lots of troubles with my out of square printer. I’m not sure if it was the lack of precision from the printer, or it was my general lack of knowledge and experience that was to blame for my troubles. I honestly don’t know how much it matters. But I know for myself, that I would always suspect that the lack of precision in the print might be a bad influence…

Sounds like I need to get it properly square first… The last thing I want is to rush into getting it printed, only to get lots of issues later on because the gantry etc isnt square of the printer… The weirdest part is that the x-y angle is not 90 degrees :thinking:
I think i need to print another test with thicker walls before i start changing anything

After some proper adjustment, i think my Ender is ready. I had to file down the rails for the X-axis, as it was approximately 6mm off in a distance of 30cm :fearful:

Hopefully it is straight now, as ive straightnened all of the axis.

Started yesterday printing the bottom corners for the PRIMO build

5 Likes

All of the printed parts are ready, and i have started assembly. I’m lacking some steel tubes though. I have also planned to go for dual endstop this time, And partly because of that i have purchased a proper steel cabinet for the electronics. The old solution with the display/controller stuck to the side was inpracticle, so I designed a box for it, and I will also fit it with proper connectors when I receive them to be able to disconnect it if I want to. I fitted the case with magnets, but they are probably to weak to hold the cables as well.

3 Likes

Hi Johannes,
I’m also from Norway, and I look forward to see what more you poste about your machine.
And I wonder where you got your steel tubing? (biltema?)
I have built one cnc machine from another design, but I think this one has a bigger community and it’s easy to ask question if I have some problems.

Great to see more people from Norway also. :smiley:
Regards
Glenn

Hei Glenn! I’m also from Norway, I live in Tromsø. The Biltema pipes are good, just make sure they are straight. Rolling them on the floor is a good technique :wink:

I got my pipes for the Primo build at Elektroimportøren, 25mm GUR. They are a little thicker than the Biltema ones.

Just checked their website, the price has doubled!! Ouch… I’ve heard there’s a steel shortage caused by covid, I guess this is why.

1 Like

Hi Glenn! I have used biltema pipes until now, but biltema is all out where i live… I was not aware that elektroimportøren also have steel pipes, I will check that up. I find it hard to find any proper steel dealers that will sell to private people for an acceptable price…

1 Like

Thanks, Turbinbjorn and Johannes.
I will see where there is some good prices. I order lot of metall from a company in Sortland.
I’m making a bench grinder. And I have a CNC machine but the design is ok, but I lose steps when I try to make something in wood. But I guess is due to low voltage.
I have too adjust the stepper drivers and see how that works.

Small update:

I have assembled all of the mechanical parts, and only cabling is left.
I made some cables for the display to be removable, but turns out either the plugs make some sort of problem, or the cables are to long. They display doesnt work properly, so i have to use regular ribbon cables or shorten the ones i have. A shame, as I really liked the solution.

Heres how the display looks with the extended cabling

Plugs on the back of the display

Connections inside the electronics enclosure.

Cabinet door with Emergency stop, ON/OFF switch (green) and what will be ON/OFF/Auto selector for the Makita spindle.

PSU and RAMBo board, DIN rail with terminal clamps on the bottom.

Two plugs for display cables on the top, holes for connectors for stepper motors and limit switches below

1 Like

The cables I ship are about as long as you can reliably go without LCD issues, unfortunately.

I see, guess I’ll have to shorten the cables then :thinking:

New small update.

I have made the internal wiring for endstops end steppers, and fitted the sockets.

5 Likes

Small update again.
Made some brackets and rails to fit the cabelchain on X/Y axis, and made brackets to fit the cabel chains to the steppers. I didnt find any i liked on thingiverse, so idesigned my own.

All stepper cables will be terminated with plugs:

3D printed brackets for fitting cable chain to steppers:

Cable chain fitted on X-axis:

Stepper wiring connected for both X-axis steppers.
Endstop wiring to go:

3 Likes

Long time no update (again) :roll_eyes:
As we are closing in on christmas season i figured i should get it up and running again.
Finnished terminating the plugs for steppers and end stops, end connected the end stops. The display seems to be broken, as there is missing lines no matter how short the cables are.

Also I have an issue with the endstops as shown in the below video. When triggering the endstops manually, everything works, and the end stops are in the right loctions. If I run the steppers to trigger the endstops they trigger, and if I then home the Y axis it is working like it should. However, if I run the Y axis 50mm from the endstop and then home the Y axis, it hits the stops and the steppers keep going. What could be causing this?

Is it possible you have the Y1 and Y2 endstops swapped?

I dont think so, as I tested all end stops one-by one manually. I think everything was correct by the labelling then. Of course i could have swapped the stepper cables, that i havent tested. Can the steppers be tested individually from repetier host?

Could it be that the firmware has a bogus workspace size set, and after 50mm, it’s off in never-never land? Usually, it just assumes it ran out of room and quits homing, but I suppose it’s possible it’s giving up on homing (thinking it’s run out of workspace), but never turns off the steppers. This seems odd, since the default firmware workspace size is certainly larger than 50mm, but it’s a thought.

We’re double posting here. Let’s just solve this one in your thread specific to this issue:

Agreed, posted a seperate thread as I didn’t think I would get a response this quick in an old project thread (you guys proved me wrong). Problem solved now though (swapped stepper connectors on main board), so thanks :smiley:

1 Like