LowRider v3 CNC - Tool-less KINEMATIC Accessory Holder for LowRider 3 CNC 4.0

This is rad! Commenting just to keep track of tbis thread!

1 Like

Any one on my side of the ocean (eu) who bought these? If so mind to share a link as I can’t seem to find them…

If you can’t find them on Amazon or eBay locally - try AliExpress (the link is just a random vendor, not one I’ve dealt with)
https://tinyurl.com/mr3ddne6

2 Likes

Mmm haven’t thought of that. The given link returns the Ali homepage for me.
In the meanwhile I’ve found these:

They are listed as 32mm diameter, 5mm high & 40kg pulling force.
The ones from @DougJoseph are listed as width 1.26 inches = 32.00400 millimeters, height 0.2 inches = 5.08 millimeters, 110 lbs = 49kg so that’s close enough I hope?

Did you manage the check them and what version do you prefer (as I am a bit confused with all the models available)

3 Likes

That sounds close enough…

Regarding which model to use, if you are meaning choosing between mine and Jamie’s, it’s workable either way. I’ve been meaning to get my listing updated, but have been so busy.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming Doug, will order them soon and give it a try.

Regarding the models; I think I figured it out;
I’ll print you Part A, and Jamie’s part B ( with bolt clearance) & some Cos to mount pen/tools…
I do like your design with the acorn nuts, but for some reason I like the simpler version some more.

1 Like

Ahh sorry, I forgot about Ali’s geofencing, but you are on your way!

1 Like

No need to say sorry, I really appreciate the help!

1 Like

Recently I learned these touch probes can be had from AliExpress for like $60.

Chucking up in the collet is by far more trouble than it’s worth, but with the combination of easy removal and kinematic repeatability, it could open up possibilities.

At the current rate, I might get to it in the spring of next year.

5 Likes

Cool! Are you thinking mesh leveling? Something else/more? I’ve been thinking mesh leveling for good while!

Are you talking about this kind of listing?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803280100804.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.1.66cc70a2uRGrQG

Based on a video there, it seems to be probing laterally instead of vertically. ??

You are probably already aware of this and you’re simply envisioning something different than I was.

I think i saw them on amazon too

Yes, I am thinking vertical and lateral, unlike the BLTouch for example which only works vertically.

I made one a long time ago because I didn’t know you could buy them for a reasonable price. Assuming they were available then.

The software side is still missing a lot, for example probing the center of a circle or correcting for a skewed workpiece, although for hobbyists these are more niche uses, so it’s not really surprising they don’t get much interest.

Mapping an uneven workpiece should be doable with existing features and only requires vertical probing, so a probe like BLTouch would work for engraving on an uneven surface I would think. It is still advantageous to be removable and repeatable, so that use-case also benefits from the kinematic accessory attachment.

The probe combined with kinematic mount is perhaps a solution in search of a problem, but it is a cool solution.

1 Like

Dude, I love it.

Something like this would have been awesome when I made this beach sign

Every time I moved it to do an epoxy pour I was nervous I wouldn’t get it back in the exact spot. Then once I cut the outside I totally lost it all. Was extremely nerve racking putting the groves in the back. So worried I wouldn’t get them centered correctly. Something like this to know exactly where the part was and where to set zero would have been AMAZING

1 Like

Could you do something like 3D printers in the pre-BLTouch era where the probe is installed with a known offset (X,Y,Z), and deployed for probing? Then stow the probe and get on with machining.

The old 3D printer setups used a servo deployment or even manually flipping the probe.

My solidoodle workbench had a microswitch based probe where the operator had to manually click the probe down, and then after the bed leveling cycle, it would run the probe/extruder assembly down to a point where the nozzle was at 0, and this forced the probe to click (pop) back up to its stowed position out of the way of the extruders. It was horrible to get working right and needed lots of tweaking, but for a few of us that stuck it out it worked reasonably well. You had to pay close attention to every print, because it had lots of weird failure modes.

That’s an example of a crappy system, but is notable because even manually deploying a probe is probably acceptable for the workflow for the V1 machines.

1 Like

Yes, this is exactly the idea. There will be a fixed X/Y offset between the router and the probe, and Z will remain constant until you switch bits. You can measure the Z offset with paper or something.

Deploying the probe is attaching magnetically and stowing is removing it. Convenience and repeatability are key, and I think those are both covered.

3 Likes

How does the glue holds after all this time? Would it be wise idea to still add a screw?
And would it be an option to put the magnet too in the mobile base? What is your idea on that?

Yeah this is the cheapest on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/V5-Waterproof-Anti-roll-Compatible-Finder-NO/dp/B0BDSDSJF6/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?keywords=cnc+touch+probe&qid=1690330751&sr=8-5

Others go up to 90

1 Like

The glue on the washer is still holding strong and I think it will hold forever because it has a large area.

The problem with the magnets is that the front has a strong field and the back has almost no field. If magnets are oriented front-to-front they will repel, so that won’t work, and front-to-back is not much better than just using iron for the second piece. Flipping the magnet in one of the holders is possible but for me it didn’t seem worth it. The magnet to washer has just the right amount of force in my opinion.

2 Likes