It’s me again, back with some boxes (at least not a pencil case this time, right? :D). They are gifts for the advent calendar for my kids’ preschool teachers. Beech wood (glued up plate, bought like that, don’t know the english name, mabe someone can translate: Leimholzplatte Buche B/C 800x200x18 mm bei HORNBACH kaufen). All cut with a 1-flute 3.175mm endmill, 3mm DOC, 1000mm/sec, 20 000 RPM.
I also found a new font I really like. I used Tahu! as my go-to font (as in Alexandra), but just found Belle Quest (as in Elena). The only problem with it is that it’s very thin. Need to use my 30° endmill for those next time, not the 60°.
Took me three tries to have the offset right for the lid to fit without filing it down, because there is still a bit of deflection so that the parts do not match if you just cut inside/outside of the same line. I think for that to work you need a really, really expensive machine.
Diameter wise i would not expect inside outside to fit .1 or .2 mm should give clearance though. If wood fit that tight the first raining day it would be stuck. Clearance is always needed so you have a very tuned machine
Take your pick (in order of me making them, I really like that you can see the improvement of the plans and of my skill):
The newest dxf is attached. It has some instructions and comments in German, but not too many. The bottom two drawings are the pencil case, the top left is for the inlay/engraving and the left two boxes for the mirrored drawings if doing an inlay to have a border for the clearing paths.
For the pencil cases I nearly exclusively use a 6mm 2-flute, just for the magnet holes I switch because I am a) lazy and b) it’s so much quicker.
The boxes above were made with a 3.175mm 1-flute because I didn’t want to swap the endmills for the two magnet holes. This is connected to the ER collets being pretty snug in the collet and I didn’t want to be bothered taking them out… I ordered another collet so I can easily swap between my most (and so far only) used sizes…
Oh, you want like, details. Sorry, I am used to asking the questions as a teacher and getting stupid answers.
The wood is 18mm, the hole of the bottom part is 16mm deep, leaving 2mm at the bottom. The first one was only 12mm deep though. The other one has got a 2.3mm lip and is 5mm deep below that. Then I cut off the top 80 to 10mm or so with my circular saw. I eyeballed the cut. For the other boxes is usually use my planing endmill, but there was no time. Plus, the kids have 3 oval discs to build something neat. The magnets are 5mm long, so those holes are 5.2mm deep.