Little boxes with magnetic lid

Very nice! I recently bought some ring box 3d models and small magnets to make some boxes too. Just hope they come out as well as yours.

1 Like

Nowhere near as nice as yours, but for two pieces of scrap pine… not too bad.

4 Likes

Looks great! If everything works as expected (it does not yet :P) I am going to have a really nice box in a day or two. :slight_smile:

How much wiggle room did you leave for the lip?

1 Like

.5mm. Snug enough to come off easily, but not tight, if that makes sense. I fogot to add spots for the magnets though… version 2…

2 Likes

Not done yet so not worth another thread, but too cool not to share - the Guinea Pig box:

6 Likes

Dude, that looks soo cool! Sehr guht!

2 Likes

That looks awesome so far! I was trying to figure out what you were cutting in the previous video. Now I know. :grin:

2 Likes

Tested mine further and carved the top. Looks ok, but man, your guinea pig box is amazing!

4 Likes

I think yours looks absolutely stunning as well. I really should be trying 3D carving. Wow.

What tool and speeds feeds?? Pine has been very trying on my patience. Ripping/tearing

1 Like

1/8" ballnose, 10% stepover, 24mm/s. Pine loves to shred into fuzziness for sure. I will go smaller with the stepover when i do it in a hardwood.

2 Likes

Carved another in oak same as previous one, but with only 5% stepover. Ran very well.
At least to the very end when a chip (i didn’t wipe the rails off like i normally do after a rough cut) was on top of a y axis rail. It acted like a chock, stopping the bearing from rolling. Messed up the last few passes on the backside, turning a two hour carve into a piece of scrap. Oops.

That looks really, really great though.