Jackpot on a LR2?

Wow, a 4" cut! Be sure and post a picture.

2 Likes

I have a thread going on my next project here

Jump down a bit to my last post on that thread.
Hoping to cut later this week or next week.

4 Likes

Roger that. I know some have pushed the LR3 from using 150mm linear rail to 200mm. I would think you would have to go to around 350mm linear rail to maintain 10" of travel. that’s a lot! I would think you would have to go wider to go that much taller with the YZ plates. Would be interesting to see that’s for sure.

So you only need 4+ inches of travel. You table base just needs to also be the endmill length away, Drop table. A 10" (meaning 10" endmill) travel on either machine is horrible and I am sure barely works. If you just make your work surface one endmill length away you will find you can probably move 3x as fast.

2 Likes

Unless you are actually cutting 10" worth of vertical surface?

Edit: I used 1" .065 wall tubes, so if you use conduit, you will need to edit the tube plugs a little to adjust the diameter to match your rails. The Y and Z switch holders should fit for any version.

1 Like

Technically yes. my stock is only 4-4.5inches.

for the 4" cut I use a 6" endmill which is about 5" after set in the router.

Currently my rollers ride on my table and I have to lift the router up to put the endmill in.
so my gantry is about 8 inches up.

No I am not actually cutting 10"

I have 128mm of Z travel on my LR3 with the taller YZ plates and 200mm rails. With raised rails, it would easily manage your use case… Just saying…

2 Likes

but I just built a nice torsion box table :slight_smile: .

I think for now I will keep what I have and think about it for the future.

Lol! For the record, when I built my LR3, I used the table I made for the LR2 and put “wings” on it for the LR3 rail and roller sides, just enough to extend the sides.

Had I wanted to at the time, I could have raised those wings to give me a drop table effect, and I considered raising the rails by 3 1/2" (the height of a 2×4) so I would have had a bit over 5" of travel (128mm) and about 8 1/2" height.

My rails also extend out from the table enough that the router hangs over free space at Y home position, which I use to change mills.

So if your stock is (let’s say) 4.5" (114mm) and your endmill stucks down 5" (127mm) the 2×4 height wouldn’t quite manage, but a 4" lift would be perfect, and your 5" stick-out should reach the spoilboard. Re-using the LR2 table would work out nicely.

Oh, and also, I was able to just re-use the steel X rails from the LR2 directly onto a slightly wider LR3. I actually had to cut a bit off of them, so no need to buy new steel.

All that said, if you tell me what size steel you are using, I can edit the CAD for my endstop mounts to accomodate. I actually have a better idea for the Z endstops that I got most of the way through, but didn’t finish when the LR3 beta project got started.

4 Likes

Just add some riser blocks to the two rails. Whoops Dan said that just above this post.

3 Likes

has anyone made a CAD file of the limit switch?
I have an idea for them but need the CAD to lay it out and make the print files.

Would that do?

1 Like

Thanks @SupraGuy. I’ll give it a try. it will at least get me started until my endstops come and can measure them.

is there an order that it is auto-homed? X then Y then Z? or something else?

Typically you home Z max first. That makes sure you do not drag a endmill across your surface. After that…doesn’t really matter.

2 Likes

two questions.

1 - I see this working well on a normal set up where z is relatively low. I have a 10" Z and really don’t want to wait for it to travel that far.
Any for seeable issues with z touching off on the table then lifting it up high enough set my router in?
Remember, I use the LR2 which utilizes the router’s original base which makes it easy to remove and replace. So far I’ve been able to get the height up to where my endmill clears (6") then set and lock the router in.

doing this also uses my table as 0 and not a point on the Z tubes that I need to figure out and somehow level.

2 - what mobile app have you found to be good to use with the jackpot board?
@vicious1 I think you said it can be controlled via an app.
I’m running android and just found this one.

Not really, you need to set up two touch probes and be able to use them at the same time.

You put a movable Z endstop mount on them. Get them reasonably close and use the Z auto level feature. That is how we do it. Set it up once and it is done.

This also gives you the opportunity to resume a failed job. Once you have material mounted you can not home to your table. This is the point of homing the LR3 to Z max, the next MPCNC will be switched to this way as well.

1 Like

Not an app. The website is built in. When you power it up sign into ssid- fluidnc pass- 12345678.

1 Like

https://docs.v1e.com/electronics/jackpot/#initial-setup