Jackpot on a LR2?

I have a LR2 running with a mini rambo and I really want endstops.
Would the Jackpot be a good option?

I do all of my cam in fusion 360 using flyfisher’s post processor - any issues with that on the jackpot?

And to answer the question, no I do not want to upgrade to the LR3 for various reasons :slight_smile:

I’m not super up to speed with what it does, but I believe the flyfisher post processor is for Marlin, which the Jackpot does not run.

So at a minimum, you would have to switch to a GRBL based post processor I believe

Yes you can set up a Jackpot on a LR2, I’m 99% sure the LR2 and LR3 run the same firmware. As far as your CAM I’m not sure on that one. The Jackpot is GRBL/FluidNC not Marlin so I would assume your post processor would have to change.

I’m 100% sure.

My LR3 yses mostly recycled LR2 parts. I had endstops on my LR2.

The Jackpot will do just fine, I think. There must be a postprocessor that works for GRBL, and therefore for FluidNC. A little difference in work flow, but dual endstips.will do that too.

2 Likes

so I looked up flyfisher’s post processor on Github.
The highlighted would lead me to believe it would work with GRBL?

if someone more knowledgeable than I can confirm this I will probably order the jackpot next month.

1 Like

The bigger issue is where are you going to mount the endstops? I didn’t design the LR2 for them.

Yes.

99% of the commands are the exact same as Marlin’s, for some reason the homing is different. I am sure there is a reason Marlin strayed from the GRBL standard but it seems odd to me.

I’ll figure something out. there’s gotta be a way. :slight_smile:

Just pushing for the LR3 build… :wink:

2 Likes

Just need to find an easy way to get a 10" Z axis height.
It could be in the future, but one step at a time.

Drop table? That’s a lot of Z. Are you cutting that high on a LR2??

… There is. I had end stops on my LR2, but… I upgraded to the LR3. Seriously it is better in almost every metric.

1 Like

Do you have images or anything showing how you had them?

I want it, but 1, need to watch my budget, and 2, I really need 10" Z height.

I’m cutting 4+ inches, but you need room for a 4+ inch endmill above the stock plush travel clearance. 10" just gives me a little wiggle room

I’m about to cut my first 4" carve on the LR2. I have already done it with the MPCNC prior to the LR2.

1 Like

Wow, a 4" cut! Be sure and post a picture.

2 Likes

I have a thread going on my next project here

Jump down a bit to my last post on that thread.
Hoping to cut later this week or next week.

4 Likes

Roger that. I know some have pushed the LR3 from using 150mm linear rail to 200mm. I would think you would have to go to around 350mm linear rail to maintain 10" of travel. that’s a lot! I would think you would have to go wider to go that much taller with the YZ plates. Would be interesting to see that’s for sure.

So you only need 4+ inches of travel. You table base just needs to also be the endmill length away, Drop table. A 10" (meaning 10" endmill) travel on either machine is horrible and I am sure barely works. If you just make your work surface one endmill length away you will find you can probably move 3x as fast.

2 Likes

Unless you are actually cutting 10" worth of vertical surface?

Edit: I used 1" .065 wall tubes, so if you use conduit, you will need to edit the tube plugs a little to adjust the diameter to match your rails. The Y and Z switch holders should fit for any version.

1 Like