Fusion 360 & post processor

Will give it a try, thanks.

While I’m here… @vicious1 can we fix this? It’s in the original post of this thread. A large amount of the people I see having issues with F360 are using the post linked there. Guffy’s is much more user friendly. This is what shows up when you Google MPCNC fusion 360 post processor

Changed, thanks for pointing it out.

Seems like AutoDesk are getting ready to pull the plug on the “free” maker license. I looked at the subscription and it’s $495/year. I just can’t justify that. - I think I am going back to FreeCAD. Does anyone else have any other ideas?

Ian,

That is not correct. There will still be a free license for personal use. Below is a link to their page on it. There are some capabilities that are excluded, but probably nothing any of us will miss.

https://www.autodesk.com/campaigns/fusion-360-for-hobbyists

2 Likes

I do hope you are right, I have invested a lot of time in Fusion 360. It makes me nervous as mine is telling me I have 5 days left and there’s a big shiny button that says “subscribe”. I will come back and let you know when this one expires. Hopefully all is good. I am reminded that they can pull the plug at any time.

There will always be a big shiny button that says “Subscribe”, and a tiny, plaintext link in low-contrast colors that links to the first step of the byzantine renewal process for unpaid licenses. Such is the nature of dual licensing.

I’m having a strange issue with programs exported from Fusion 360 that I didn’t see in the rest of this thread. I have Guffy’s post processor installed, and I’m using the defaults for the properties except that I’ve disabled “Probe: on job start.”

When I try to run a program, the cnc goes kind of crazy. I don’t really know how else to describe it. I have tried 2 different programs, one that is just simply a 5x5 cut out, and the other is a more complex engraving of text. With the cutout program, the cnc does some startup stuff where it moves Z to the correct spot, and then slams the Y axis into the corner brackets at mach 10 and the steppers lose a bunch of steps. This just kind of repeats until I stop the program. With the text engrave program, it does the same setup steps, but in this case it seems to only activate one axis at a time for some reason? It does like 10 or 15 seconds of proper-looking z moves (during which time x and y axis steppers are actually not even activated), then activates x and does a bunch of proper-looking x moves for like 15 seconds. After that, it activates Y… Which acts much like the simple cut out except it doesn’t bottom out. It kind of seems like there’s an invisible rubber band attached to it if that makes any sense. I have attached a video of this run, but I don’t have one of the cutout run.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening, or what I could try for debugging?

video0.mov (5.76 MB)

Attach the relevant gcode and we’ll look to see if anything is obvious. Are you sure you’re working in the correct scale?

Gcode attached. 1001 is the cutout program and 1002 is the sign program.

EDIT: I just noticed the 2nd part of Bill’s post re: scale. I’m honestly not sure, it could be that I’m not. Where would I check that?

1001-1.gcode (4.2 KB)

1002.gcode (257 KB)

It seems you put origin to far edge in the fusion. Your y moves in the first gcode are all in negative area. Ensure that the origin is at left near corner of the stock. Or try to mill at the center of the table

It is becoming clear to me that I have something wrong in my cam. Does anyone have a simple f3d file that I could load up to see what correct feeds and speeds would look like? Even something simple like a 2d contour cutting out a 40mm x 40mm square would suffice.

Hello. Not sure if anyone else has used the tabs function in fusion 360 2d. Generally the post works fine, however when it posts out the oath, it overrides the z max feed and pust the cutter feed, which as we know does not work with z axis. I am modifying the post so that every z move has it’s own max feed rate. But this can only be used in zlevel/2d programs, not 3d contouring. It’s kind of a hack and whack mode to the post. I will attach it later and if some could look at it, that would be great.

1. Was just wondering if anyone else has a modified post to force z as separate feed rate.

Hello. Not sure if anyone else has used the tabs function in fusion 360 2d. Generally the post works fine, however when it posts out the path, it overrides the z max feed and pust the cutter feed, which as we know does not work with z axis. I am modifying the post so that every z move has it’s own max feed rate. But this can only be used in zlevel/2d programs, not 3d contouring. It’s kind of a hack and whack mode to the post. I will attach it later and if some could look at it, that would be great.

Was just wondering if anyone else has a modified post to force z as separate feed rate.

MPCNC_Fusion360_V10_SDcard-max-z-feed-500.zip (5.32 KB)

Hello

Well the Beauty of Fusion, is the sharing feature!!

I recommend you create a new project, select the invite option, and you can invite me, efishnc@gmail.com Then we can work together on projects and you won’t have to keep uploading files

Also I would be able to share what I have tried, and you can always kick my ass out anytime I get too annoying :slight_smile:

I find it is the easiest way to work with others inside Fusion.

Yep, but not for much longer with the licence updates…

What’s the story there?

As a hobbyist, making under 100,000 per year, it is still free. You just have to register it correctly, if you are making money from use of the software, then you can decide on a correct time to invest.

I am a startup company and making less than what is required, I am still using it as a hobbyist, however at my place of employment, we have purchased a few seats, and it definitely pays off

Especially the sharing function, so I don’t have to lug my laptop around the country to help people.

One day will they invoke a minimum fee? probably, but at this point it is still a very very worthwhile software.

1 Like

JeffeB3, Autodesk/fusion360 is “splitting” the Startup/Hobbyist" licence which exists until the one year licence expire, into two “levels” : Hobbyist/Personnal, and Startup. Both are still free, but you have to “belong” to the one you choose.

cf. https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/blog/subscription-types/

I think it’s a good move, because it clarifies the personnal use alright. However, while almost all the features are still available for both as they used to be, they removed the “team” features from Personnal licence, and with that any project sharing between two hobbyists.

I personnaly used it for some collaborations, and while I understand the “personnal” use is for Personnal and not teams, it’s a step backwards for me on this.

1 Like

Hmm. I have re-read the “NEW” rules, and yup, they are separating the “personal” from the startup" Sort of forcing us to go back to the “Dark Web” in order to collaborate, sort of a Microsoft/Apple mentality.

I have used many various software’s in my years, and I embraced fusion for the openness of it and the comprehensive nature of the software, a sort of all in one that was available to the masses. The cloud sharing was the part that I really liked, however, the software even as an isolated individual, is still worth using/mastering.

So that being said, it is still free, we just have to work on ways of sharing outside of the Autodesk limitations.

I am still willing to look at other projects and assist or drain your brain to improve.

So if you can invite me still to a project, go for it!! efishnc@gmail.com I am willing to help and learn with others

Might have to start another forum topic.

Yes , I started way back in the dial up days, used to working around walls.