Fusion 360 & post processor

Anyone have any idea how to “turn off arcs” in Fusion360 pp or is this something I don’t have to worry about? I’ve been getting things post processed just fine, but have not idea what arcs even refers to so want to make sure I’m good on that end. I’m still having a bunch of issues with one of my Z’s skipping and am just itching to finally get carving.

EDIT: I’ve opened the DIYCNC_Common.js file I downloaded and got working from Guffy’s GitHub. Anyone feel like recommending what I should edit here? I’ve circled the properties I’m questioning right now.

1. What should I set jobTravelSpeedXY and jobTravelSpeedZ to?
  2. Assuming I should set jobUseArcs to false?
  3. Also assuming I should set probeOnStart to false since I don’t have a Z probe (yet!)

1- Those numbers are in mm/min, So I prefer 2100, and 300 is okay you can go up to 450.

2- yup false

3-correct.

1 Like

When click on ‘Post Processing’ in your design, there’s a table in the bottom right corner with all these values. You can set them there too (although I think that sets them for just that one file).

I should have specified I’m stuck working on a Mac and the pp in Fusion seems to be a tad different than on Window so I’m forced to edit this directly in the source file.

1 Like

Are there mac instructions documented somewhere? If not, adding some instructions to the v1 community docs would be a big help.

I bookmarked this to add to the instructions but without a MAC to try it on I am not sure if this is the “right” way.

I have a mac. (and windows, and linux, and and and …) anyways…

I’ll try to get F360 installed on it and try out those instructions sometime this week. I meant to do it yesterday, but never got around to it.

I recently aquired the mac through work. I thought it’d make a great shop laptop, but I’m still working on getting all my software installed/ported over to it. So far I’ve only gotten the arduino IDE installed for flashing the mrambo :frowning:

1 Like

Ok, I know this is a REALLY LONG thread with over 440 comments so I gotta ask. Which PP are you all using for Fusion 360? I just started playing with it today and doing a test I got to the PP part to generate my gCode but I don’t know what PP to pick!

Can I safely just use a generic DIY PP? I found one called “MyDIYCNC (FABCAM)” that seems to maybe work after changing the config to use a .nc extension instead of .gc extension.

https://docs.v1engineering.com/tools/milling-basics/#the-ones-we-have-working

Guffy made a great one.

Ok, I saw that on another post but wasn’t sure it was for what I was trying to do, guess it is. I’ll take a look and see if I can figure out how to get a GetHub file into F360.

Ok, that was stupid simple! Thanks @jeffeb3

1 Like

I noticed on line 294 of the .js file for Guffy’s PP that the extension was set to “gcode” but Estlcam doesn’t like gcode. I changed that to ns and restarted F360 but it seems when choosing any of the 3 PPs in his repository that it still set to .gcode instead of .nc (didn’t include the period of course), anyone know how to change that or why it even defaults to .gcode considering this was designed for Marlin? Was it also designed for another CAM software besides Estlcam maybe?

Of course I can change it to .nc when I save the file but I figured changing it in the JavaScript file once was easier than changing the extension when I save it everytime.

Why would you use fusion and estlcam?

I guess because I got to the PP part where it generated a file and assumed I had to now go to Estlcam… but yeah, I guess Fusion has CAM built into it, I just haven’t got that far in a tutorial yet I guess. The last video I watched stopped at the PP and he said “the code is now ready to be uploaded into the CNC machine”. So I guess at that point I figured I needed to get into Estlcam…

Ah, ok. You don’t need to go to estlcam, now you can open it in repetier host or put on the sd card and load it using your lcd.

If you haven’t done the test crown, I would start there though. There is still a lot to learn.

1 Like

Yep, and tried more complex designs too.

No argument there!

1 Like

I was wondering if I could get some help with the Guffy PP to control my spindle with M106/M107 rather than M3/M5. I’m using a relay to control a Makita and wired the relay signal to my fan pin on the Archim board. I’m not a programmer so I can’t really see where in the common.js where I would replace a G3/G5 command with the appropriate M106/M107 command. Can someone point me in the right direction?

This is how I did it. I’m assuming we have the same version of the PP, so I’ve included line numbers to help you find the code. Yellow are the lines that changed.

Turn the spindle on:

:

Turn the spindle off:

In the PP, “Manual Spindle On/Off” will have to be set to “NO” for this code to execute.

2 Likes