Fluid Dial (Fluid NC dial pendant by Bart Dring, using M5 Stack's M5 Dial)

That lid looks a lot like a 2.5D milling project to me… it would look gorgeous in red oak or teak.

4 Likes

Yes, and you could 3D print the “stand offs” to be like “spacers” and you would only need the wood to be 1.7 mm or so. You could even “shave” a piece of wood down to “thick veneer” thickness using either a table saw or band saw, and then just 2D cut the profile. It would not even need to be 2.5D.

1 Like

The ethernet insert seems to be fitting nice and flush! Looks great!

1 Like

Good idea,

Is there an instruction manual for a factory reset somewhere?

greetings and thanks
Matthias

I’ve not had to do it, so I’m not certain, but I googled and found these two threads:

The second one should probably be read before taking action from the first one.

Thanks,
I just found a program to reset to delivery status directly on the manufacturer’s website.
Works without problems. This is how my touchscreen works. I’ll re-install the M5Stack later and try to figure out the error.

Thanks and greetings
Matthias

2 Likes

have you updated to latest fluid NC firmware to install latest build with macros on the dial pendan?
or do the latest changes still work on 3.7.12?
The latest fluid firmware is now 3.7.16

Yes, your file worked great from the very first attempt at printing it.

To avoid cluttering up this thread, I’m going to further document my build at the thread below.

Just build pendant and everything was going great - to easy I thought. Sure enough pendant will not connect. Wiring checked many times and all the latest software/firmware loaded. Found your reply about changing to brand rate. This fixed my connect issue. Thanks!
Tested all functions and they work. My only issue is the main screen graphics do not show up but work. Britt you note “Be sure and upload the new graphics to the dial too:” I build and uploaded the latest (as of 4/12/24) from the GitHub. This was the first and only load of software on the M5. I assume the graphics would upload with all the files and since it is the latest should be no issue. Am I missing something?

1 Like

You have to build and upload the filesystem as well as the code. These were two separate actions for me, and after uploading the filesystem everything works as expected.

1 Like

Does your dial have these icons?

1 Like

@Bemster

Yes, @Britt is correct. You need to build and upload the file system. That is a separate icon/ separate menu choice in VS Code. It is documented in the wiki and also in this thread higher up.

1 Like

Click the Platformio icon on the left. Then under the Project Tasks open m5dial and General. You should see ‘Build Filesystem Image’ and ‘Upload Filesystem Image’. After you do both you should see the icons.

2 Likes

Having not used Platformio before I used the upper right build option. After looking at Doug’s screen shot for 15 minutes I finally click on the Alien head. Now my screen looked the same as Doug’s and it start to be clearer. I uploaded “Upload Filesystem Image” and now it works as expected. Thanks Britt for your last message but I did not read it until afterwards. Thanks for everyone fast feedback.

5 Likes

Glad it’s all working. Have fun!

2 Likes

Thanks for your dxf file. Instead of screws i used magnets to hold the top/bottom sides and i cut a slot for the coiled phone cord. Next is to get the FW installed and test it out.

4 Likes

it looks good. :grinning:

That looks really great!

I did erase flash with paltfromio and now it’s dead. My computer is connecting and disconnecting rapidly from the fluid dial. Is there a way to restore to factory or did I kill my dial? Also used M5burner it took new firmware stopped connecting and disconnecting but no screen light u