Earrings for the wife

My wife loves earrings and our children. So I thought it might be a good idea to combine those interests.
Even though I am whining in another thread about accuracy, I am really happy with the result. She is going to be really happy and I can’t wait for Christmas now. :smile:
Wood is Ash and Maple. Size is 30mm. Endmill is 30°.

14 Likes

WOW, tiny little inlays. You are crazy, I can’t believe you pulled that off!

3 Likes

With a machine with 75x55cm workspace, I might add. :yum:

1 Like

Yikes, the detail is amazing. Curious how many attempts it took t get it right? Of course, the lesser among us would have wussed out and settled for an epoxy inlay!

1 Like

Right!? I was going to do an epoxy inlay for a friend, but now I feel like I need to test myself…can I actually pull off an inlay.

Took 3 tries with the inlay because I took 0 a little too low. Besides that it was smooth sailing. Took me around 2 hours total.

2 Likes

You can do it! :slight_smile: The thing about me is that I get bored pretty quickly doing the same stuff more than once and try to do new stuff. If you look at my first try with epoxy, it went worse. :smiley:

And don’t forget Jamie’s rotation over the parallel axis thing or whatever he suggested, it seems to work. :smiley:

1 Like

Who has the guts for epoxy? I just painted inside the carve:

3 Likes

:rofl:
That was exactly what I did when I built and engrave the Tea Cabinet couple year ago.

4 Likes

Those things are tiny. I’ve been following your other posts with interest because I’ve been super tempted to try out my little carved Bee as walnut inlay in maple. I even glued up a tiny 6x4” end grain walnut slab for it already

Yes, do it! I can’t wait to see your bee! Get an endmill with a steep angle. I used 60° before and it is near immpossible to do tiny inlays and deep inlays. Switching to 30° helps a lot. That it is not 100% accurate is rather my fault than the machine’s, just trying to figure out what I am doing wrong exactly. :smiley:

Here is a picture with a scale. The “Luisa” is roughly 12-13mm wide and 6mm high. Your bee also does not use such a filigrane font, so it should be doable.

P.S.: You need to post more of your stuff in the Things you’ve made. I just went through your lowrider thread, love your epoxy stuff. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have a bunch of v-bits since inlays are something I’ve been dying to do. I have 10, 20, 30, 60, 90 degree bits. I had a 15 degree but it fell out of the collet and now has a 3mm flat tip, lol

1 Like

Agreed!

Yeah, flat tip is not going to help. :smiley: I think that 10 or 20 might even be better, but I can’t get them in Germany (I am lying, I just found a 15°: Sorotec Online-Shop - VHM Stichel). I can get one for inlays that’s 2.8°, so basically perfect, but it’s got a round tip (Sorotec Online-Shop - Intarsienfräser). No sharp corners then.

As Shia would say it: Just do it!

Lol, I’ll let my wife know I need more shop time

I do have a quick one I need to post. Not sure if I have finished pics though

Just put them in new threads so I can dd them to the gallery. I can only add one picture per thread.

Gotcha