Another Florida Build... LR3 #2

Well after a long (about 45 seconds) debate with my wife. The decision has been made to turn the Primo into a full time laser cutter and build a second smaller LR3. I currently have a full sheet machine and this new one will be 3’ x 5’. About to be placing my order for the parts kit. Kids are in debate on color scheme lol. Hopefully will be posting more in the coming weeks. And hope to be printing it all on the MP3DP!

10 Likes

Parts ordered!

So close to that $25 off LOL Guess i get a free 200 points on Sunday LOL

3 Likes

Happy birthday!

2 Likes

Thank you!!! This will be my final one. 39 is enough.

2 Likes

How many times have you had it? :slight_smile:

1 Like

This will be the first one for 39. Born in 1984. Wife is '83 and hits the big 40 this year. Planning a hell of a party! She wants a nerf gun fight LOL

2 Likes

Just saw the email where my parts are already shipped and due here Saturday! Too bad I’m no where near ready for them LOL.

1 Like

Dang it, I didn’t know it was your order. I have about 1000 rubber duckies I could have stuffed in the box. Sorry for not catching this post before I shipped your order, but I suppose you rather have the box sooner than later.

3 Likes

Lmao I have so many already I just randomly put them around when I get a new one. My wife was wondering if you got that and the cookies when we sent the return lol!

Me too! 25th of December. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Printing has started! Well the V4 is going though its G34 right now lol. My son picked the colors for this one. Purple and Yellow. Why IDK…but hey whatever LOL. My big LR3 is Blue and Yellow (think Blue Angles, hence nicknamed Fat Albert). Core is Yellow on the original so going with Purple on the new one.

Thinking ahead… I used that 1/8" hardboard for the struts on the original LR3. I’m thinking about going with 1/4" plywood on the new one. Going for more ridged so it can be faster and stronger at the smaller size. Any opinions on that? something better to use? down sides im not thinking of?

HECK YES! Thank you, thank her for me. I totally regret letting that box sit on my table for a full 24 hours before opening it.

I tried two kinds of 1/4" ply and they are super flexible. MDF/hardboard is to least expense rigid material I could find. To get stiffer (if it even matters much on smaller builds) maybe acrylic, or aluminum would be rad and I think stiffer. I might have to check the send cut send prices on that, prebuild 25" X LR3’s with aluminum strut plates?!?

1 Like

I surely will! I should have told you about it when I mailed it but didn’t want to seem weird LOL. She has asked several times but I didn’t want to bother with all the RMRRF stuff going on lol. Then I forgot all about it until you mentioned the ducks LOL. They should have still been good. They literally came from the drying rack to the box and 10 min later were dropped off at USPS. The one duck was from a pack of fidget stuff she got. Man all the fidget toys around here…house full of ADHD folks lol.

Good to know about the 1/4" plywood being that flexible. I wouldn’t have thought it would have been near as flexible as this thin ass hard board. No one around me stocks 1/4" MDF. Thinnest i can get it 1/2". Acrylic sounds like a possibility but then not sure where I can get it in the rough guess 40" lengths I would need for the 36" usable x. Have to do some research on that. Might be able to order a 12/24" x 48" piece. Now aluminum sounds awesome. And I do happen to have some left over from the V4…Hmmmmm I need to go measure LOL.

2 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/Cast-Acrylic-Plastic-Sheet-Plexiglass/dp/B00AI13E0O/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=24x48+1%2F4+acrylic&qid=1683308487&sr=8-3

$60 for the acrylic. That’s not too bad. But still not as cool as aluminum…

1 Like

Check sendcutsend, They have all sorts of materials. From what I can tell they cut and ship parts to my door cheaper than I can even source the raw material.

2 Likes

Oh wow…ok. I will for sure check them out.

Turns out the aluminum I have left wont work. the way I cut I used all the way across 24" so no 48" strip left. After pricing the Acrylic I could just spend $40 more and go get another 24x48" sheet of the Aluminum. Let me see what the place you suggested says. If they are around the same price id rather have the fun cutting it myself lol. Aluminum cutting on a lowrider always makes for good pics/video LOL. Need to get me a gopro or something to set up for a time lapse

1 Like

Looks like I’ll get to post pics/videos of me cutting them lol. I could see if I was ordering a bunch to resell like you do it would TOTALLY be worth it. But at one off I can buy the material and bits cheaper.

1 Like

Sorry, I guess I have not really looked at the single prices.

Absolutely no reason for you to be sorry. It was defiantly worth looking at! Hell for all I know i may call for pricing on another sheet and its gone way up LOL.

1 Like

Ok so NOW printing has officially started. I did start it the other day but the print failed (my fault) and I was too busy to restart it. And good thing because now there has been a color change (Thank God!)

Going with…

and…

Digital Blue i have used a bunch and really like. The Silver Metal is a new color for Overture and hopefully it will look good printed. Have always had great luck with Overture so I don’t expect any issues. I had digital Blue on hand so those parts are up and running. Silver will be here after I’m back at work so those parts will get printed next time home. Looking at Ryan’s Red/Black, All of the Red will be Silver Metal and all the Black will be Digital Blue. Should look pretty good when finished.

Another question I had thought about in terms of going for a stiff as possible build. Is there an advantage to going 25.4 EMT over the 23.5? My current LR3 is 23.5 as I couldn’t locate any 25.4. But now I have found it and at a really good price.

3 Likes