Extra parts?

Almost time to see how bad my wiring is. Just need to run the Y Belts and it’ll be time to figure out how to make a crown. however, I have one 3d printed part left over? What is this/where did I screw up? Also, I used one cable for the jumper for the power on the control board, but I have 2 left over? Was I supposed to use these somewhere?

Also, I only have 3 M5 screws left but I need what looks like 8 for the Y belts? Everything has been so spot on I feel like maybe I messed up somewhere…

Not sure on the 3d printed part. But the wires are extras. As long as you have the board and the motors powered you are good. And you only need 2 M5x30 screws for the y tensioners rear. the 8 other screws are to mount the bases down to your table and those aren’t supplied in the kits. Use the same screws you used for your rails and you’ll be good to go.

1 Like

Yeah now that you say it, I realize it’s just like the brackets for the Y Rail and I just use my wood screws. I’m a dummy lol
The printed part was in the bag with the Y belt holders and tensioners.
I’m about to cut my Y belts - does the length listed in the calculator account for the bit of slack you need to feed it thru the holders or is that the exact needed length and I should cut them a little longer?

1 Like

That printed part looks like a pen holding attachment.

5 Likes

I always start with the full length and cut as I go. I just put the belts on my second LR3 this morning. I started on one side and used the entire length, had the front already done and thought the y motor then cut where I needed to on the back. rinse and repeat on the opposite side. then had more than enough left for the x.

1 Like

That’s how I did the X Belt - ran the whole length thru and then cut it when I was sure I had enough. It’s probably a little loose but I can fix that. I thought maybe it’d be easier for the Y to cut it first but you’re right. Thank you for the help. I just hope when I finally get this powered up that it at least goes a little right. I think my physical build is correct, but trying to cram all the wires in that box I feel like I’m bound to have an issue lol

2 Likes

Wiring is what I am working on now. If you have any issues be sure to post up. One of us will know whats up and how to fix it lol

1 Like

Belts done, trying some movement tests. X moves as expected (at least the 1mm left and right). Same with Y. When I press Z up instead of going up 1mm, it climbs all the way to the top and keeps trying to go. I have to unplug it to make it stop. I tried flipping the Z connector but got the same results.

1 Like

Hmm changed nothing. Seems to work now lol. Can only get it to move using the touchscreen attached to the control board itself. When I connect it to my laptop with the USB and connect via repetier Host and go to manual control it says it’s Idle or commands waiting but nothing ever moves…

1 Like

When I press Z up instead of going up 1mm, it climbs all the way to the top and keeps trying to go. I have to unplug it to make it stop.

Hmm changed nothing. Seems to work now

Are you using the SKR Pro board? If so, you might have the board defect. I just added Troubleshooting documentation into the Dual End Stops, End Stops section of the SKR Pro V1.1 & V1.2 document.

When I connect it to my laptop with the USB and connect via repetier Host and go to manual control it says it’s Idle or commands waiting but nothing ever moves…

I just posed some Repetier help in another post here.

1 Like

Thanks for helping. I am using that board. Just read about that potential problem. I’ll keep tabs to see if it happens again. Hopefully not?

As for repitier host, I have it setup exactly as you show in the other thread. It says it’s connected, but when I try any manual movement, no go. I’ll keep playing with it

Slight progress. Changed COM ports. Now I can manually move the core using repitier host on my laptop. However, more than once when I gave it a command it moved not according to commands - either much further than commanded before stopping, or once not at all and I had to unplug (emergency stop on repitier host did nothing). I really hope it’s not a bad board. Not sure how to test other than constantly driving it around to see if it behaves

I found a lot of issues moving between the touch screen movement and sending gcode in Repetier. I described it in this post. . Essentually, Relative Positioning movement is when the move is the amount from the current position (G0 X10 will move 10mm in the positive X axis). Absolute Positioning is when the move is to the exact coordinates specified in the move command ( G0 X10 will move to the absolute 10mm on the X axis). I found several times when I hit the down Z (1mm) on the screen and rather than moving down 1mm, the controller tried to send it to Absolute Z=1. Similarly, I would send a G0 Y0 in Repetier to send Y to home and nothing moved. Essentually because I used the touchscreen movement and it switched control to Relative Positioning which made my machine react as if the G0 Y0 command was telling it to move the Y by 0mm.

And FYI, you can force Absolute Positioning by first sending G90. And you can force Relative Positioning by sending G91.

If you don’t have the link, make sure you check out the Marlin gcode reference

2 Likes

Another thing to know is that gcodes are sequential. This means if you send a Absolute G0 Y1000. The controller will go to Y1000. If the machine is about to crash into the Barbie Dream House that you carelessly placed at the end of your table, no gcode command will stop the crushing of Barbie’s dream.

Yeah I had to quickly unplug a couple times when it decided to wander away. But things are looking up! Did my first crown test. Got excited and did a terrible job taping a marker to the mount. Made for a “special” crown when it came wobbly loose. Made me laugh pretty good.

Did a second one on the back with a better tape job.

5 Likes

Congratulations on the crown!!!

1 Like