What would you want to see in a new lowrider build?

The stock lowrider is superb for the cost.

Of all the variety of lowrider builds there are, two that stand out. And one additional maybe (if you like crazy :crazy_face:)

-The four tube variant on the x-axis. I currently run this variant. It is everything you could possibly need to make deep, fast cuts.

-The aluminum square tube xz axis mod. This is awesome, simple, and completely doable part on an MPCNC as a means to change the lowrider xz main. What do I like most about this? Oddly, the aluminum acting as a heat sink for the z motor.

-Crazy mod - Dual x axis motors. Easy to do and absolutely improves every overly deep, fast cut youā€™ll make on the lowrider. Ok, so I misled everyone with how crazy it is. But isnā€™t it?

The change Iā€™d request is to address the y axis tracking. Although Iā€™ve never had a problem with this, many have and therefore the tracking issue should be at the top of the list.

Since itā€™s resin based, youā€™d need better dust collection/respirator to cut the stuff. Itā€™s also kinda spendy.

Good point.

Yes, thatā€™s what I had in mind. Would dual end stops survive the removal and attachment? I would probably use as workbench more than cnc.

Iā€™m hoping it will, because Iā€™m guessing I will use it more as a bench than the cnc

Mdf here in Florida is risky. The humidity has caused warpage with some decorations my wife has in the covered portion of our lanai, but that is out in the humidity. Ones made from plywood fair much betterā€¦ Just my two cents.

2 Likes

A universal transition plate would be good. Something the router plate attaches to. Want to switch tools, remove tool x plate, mount tool y plate. Leaves the baseplate the rollers mount to untouched.

1 Like

Not so much as physical build improvements, but maybe separate X & Y homing from a single button as Y and Z are needed most for leveling the gantry, not so much x. Also a return to zero origin instead of G0 X0 Y0 Z0 in the manual input.

8ā€™ linear railsā€¦

4th & 5th axis head

https://myhub.autodesk360.com/ue2b4d76c/g/shares/SHabee1QT1a327cf2b7a6bf08e0aee864f47

1 Like

Has to be more than 8ā€™ to cut 8ā€™ā€¦unless we get really creative.

The problem with axis 4 and 5 is there is not an inexpensive way to do the CAM for them.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been pondering about a maintenance/upgrage on my LR2 - all sorts of stuff between just stiffer flat parts all the way to all linear rails. One of the thoughts was around having half-sheet capable sizing on the mill itself and stepper/nc contolled in- / outfeed mechanism to handle or at least to assist with the positioning change between a full sheet job.

Not nearly as practical as a full sheet cnc with all the two-step programs, but just a thought on the lines of ā€œhow to have usable area bigger than the railsā€

That would still probably be easier with a few pins like normal because of work holding.

Agreed, but having 4th axis from letā€™s say extruder port sounds somewhat neat.

Just gonna throw this online shop out there. Their prices are better than amazon for the most part.

Search results: 53 results for ā€œlinear railsā€ ā€“ Vevor US

3 Likes

Oooooh!

1 Like

Have you ordered from them? I looked at that when I got my rails but read some of their reviews on Redditā€¦ It turned me off and I just got mine from Amazon

I ordered two sets (total of 4 rails) of the SBR16 1,500 mm rails for $133 after shipping. They were delivered about a week later. The steel rods are good and smooth. The aluminum feet are well secured but possibly not straight. Not a big enough issue to cause any problems. I may even be mistaken. The holes drilled into the feet are not perfectly placed. But if you line two rails up bottom to bottom the holes are close enough that you can attach the two together. So all in all I would rate the rails 9 out of 10 stars.

The rollers are well built. But I think they all need better lube. They sound rough when they roll without any weight. But when I put a load on them they are smoother. I just found my bearing lube yesterday. I can update you next week on how they turn out.

All in all I am very happy with them. I am already building a new machine and they squared up very easily. Iā€™m excited about these rails. This new machine should be able to cut 48ā€x48ā€ or slightly more.

1 Like

Perfect! Sounds like slightly better pricing then mine through amazon. The rails work great by the way, I would advise against any lubricant simply because it will cause dust to stick to the rails/cars. The noise is no problem it is standard for linear guides with balls instead of sliders like igus. I got some high end cars and rails for work and they sound the same. The cars should have little set screws on two perpendicular sides. Make sure to adjust them individually when you first put them on so there is no play. Good luck!

1 Like

I actually built and tested a new section today. :crazy_face: It might just work.

1 Like