What would you want to see in a new lowrider build?

That is hard to say. I think one version is ready but this morning we might have come up with a cool option. Not sure yet though.

3 Likes

We like options!!!

3 Likes

I really just want to see it!

4 Likes

Fair enough. Maybe in the weeks verses months range then? Just trying to figure out whether I push forward with LR2 or waitā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

From the little bit they have shown i would wait! i am a very impatient person but they have shown some sneek peeks that show to rigidity improvements, and maybe speed since they are asking for race specs.

3 Likes

Itā€™s been a while, but in reference to the first post talking about being able to use a full size routerā€¦

Several years ago I redesigned the router plate to accept/accommodate full size Porter Cable 690/693 routers (before I realized, this adds 6 lbs vs the Makita 701ā€¦) I also added taper/chamfer (from the 5 axis waterjet cuts) to accommodate a larger hose for dust collection. I donā€™t think the Nema 17ā€™s are up to the task/torque requirements of the added weight. I could be wrongā€¦ but wasnā€™t willing to risk it.

The conundrum, cheap vs fast vs reliabilityā€¦

Sure there are ways to improve some things, but at what costs/trade offs. Ryan really has the customer in mind, especially on the overall cost.

2 Likes

I know you cant give more tease than you already have, but dive us a hint. Is this new version going to be co2 laser friendly?

1 Like

Iā€™ll jump in.

Any machine based anything like a Lowrider is probably not going to be a platform that you would want to use for a CO2 laser.

Anything where an axis can go off square, even if it requires.something to go wrong in order for it to happen presents a very large risk when dealing with something like a CO2 laser emplacement. Because the tube is typically mounted in a fixed location, and mirrors are used to direct the beam to the focusing head, any deviation in angle represents a place where a large amount of power can hit the mechanism or end up going in a random direction. With an independently driven motor pair, like the LR, or even the Primo, this represents a risk. If one motor becomes jammed or one side is obsteucted and skips steps, there is no way for the laser path to be guaranteed.

With the LR2 the option would be a ā€œdouble deckerā€ and you could mount the glass tube above the moving gantry, having a solid part where there was reference.to the focusing head from the tube. Not ideal, since it means moving the laser tube with the gantry, but much safer. I could say that something similar would be possible with the LR3 as it exists so far, where the laser tube moves on the Y and Z axes with the gantry, but I wouldnā€™t call it Friendly.

3 Likes

Iā€™m so sorry I know it sucks. I think we are realllllly close. Just want you polish this a bit more.

8 Likes

Iā€™ll add to this.

Moving the tube will add a LOT of moving mass. Not really something you want with a laser. The couple lasers that Iā€™ve seen do this are using much larger motors to cover the gantry around.

1 Like

When you are ready, take another week. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Bigger motor lowrider is already something that has been done. Nema 23

Like this ?

:+1:t2: :smiley:

1 Like

Oh boy, have you tried to measure the sag in your rails with that beast in the middle.

1 Like

2.3mm.
Will have to upgrade to thicker wall tube. Or maybe solid ā€¦

There have been lots of discussions here about increasing stiffness with solid or wall thickness. Long story short itā€™s a larger diameter that will make the most difference. Some good reads in the forum though about the topic and I suggest a small investigation first.

Nah, just fix it in software.

Kidding, but not kidding.

2 Likes

Yeah, I know.
Current wall thickness is 1.2mm, deflection is 2.3 mm
Upgrading to 2mm wall, gives 1.75 mm
And solid would be 0.76mm.

Going from 25.4 x 1.2 to 38.1 x 1.2 goes from 2.3mm to 0.66 mm ā€¦

The other option is to have a vertical rib running along the bottom of the tube, but that complicates things on the router plate.

Software is also an optionā€¦

A

Or, a smaller routerā€¦or, or, an LR3 with a smaller router.

4 Likes

Yeah, yeah, I know.

Iā€™m blaming you for showing a video of the LR2 weight lifting. :grin:

This is for flattening slabs of redgum and I do have a Makita router plate for normal operation.

A

2 Likes