Vibecoded programs popping up everywhere

I was chatting about this in off-topic, but things seem to be getting out of control right now.

With the recent news about Adobe software suite being completely vibecoded it would say it is just a matter of time until Solidworks or Inventor or pro/e get vibe coded into existense.

Now the biggest issue with OpenSource CAD has been the kernel, this is basically what most users have issues with if it is not the UI in FreeCAD. FreeCAD uses OCCT. OCCT is mainly developed for viewer and translation applications. FreeCAD was probably the only or the biggest program that uses OCCT as a kernel for CAD as we know it. So if you are looking for a new program, you should check what kernel it uses.

There is already a huge list of these vibecode applications but 2 of them stood out the most in my opinion:

and

First is a Fusion360 clone using their own kernel I think and the second is a Onspace clone using the same kernel as FreeCAD.

This is starting to get kind of insane. It is going to force a lot of the “old” companies into more customer-friendly models in the long run I guess (or into bankruptcy).

Especially Adobe.

Yea, I don’t know how I feel about all of this. Even if they aren’t copying code or icons/logos, it still feels wrong to copy functionality that directly. At the same time, patent stuff is already crazy so I wouldn’t want that to devolve into overprotecting either.

The main issue I have with all these apps popping up is that there are too many choices. I landed on FreeCAD and I’m staying there.

The other thing you have to realize when using a vibecoded app is there probably isn’t a team behind it. Support may not be much of a thing. In practical terms, that means using this kind of stuff as a hobbyist makes sense, but I wouldn’t expect professional companies to use such things (sure there will be some).

Yes, same. Still really interesting how it’s developing. Over in another Discord a user is working on his own 2D-drawing software and it’s so much better than QCad or LibreCAD already.

I have been testing and breaking it a lot, really dig it so far.

OpenCadStudio?

That is also going insane fast, Hakan also uses their own kernel.

Are folks here happily vibing FreeCad models? Lately, have been vibing small CAD designs via OpenScad based models. Reason being LLMs familiarity with the syntax.

Has been interesting to dig through the CLAUDE.md and clean room sections of solvecraft/CLAUDE.md at main · bherbruck/solvecraft · GitHub

Guessing others here have also been expecting big techs to create tech that ultimately cannibalizes their own IP/businesses as they accelerate their race to the bottom?

I am.

I used to be Adobe fan like 20 years ago, but since then they worked very hard to make me smile when I found out about those clones :slight_smile: I actually am tempted to “get back to adobe” :wink: with those :wink:

To be honest as a mechanical engineer that uses CAD professionally I can’t wait till those big CAD companies get swamped with free alternatives. Especially Autodesk.

Beyond free (unsupported, dubious quality…) clones in the short term, i’m hoping, we’ll see smart companies adapt and innovate to survive.

Competition’s great for Customers. Hopefully, we’re going to benefit from lots of amazing affordable software in the near future, just before skynet wipe us out.