Vcarve Inlay Technique with Fusion 360

I am planning to release the source code, it will take a little setting up. - I am also a Linux and Mac user so I will test it on those platforms to check that it works then I will let you know.
I am going to create a local check out and modify it in mkdocs. I am putting together a “template” on my blog so that I can see what I want to include. I am thinking about doing a screen capture video of the setup too. I will update here as I get new stuff for you guys to look at.

4 Likes

Take a look here, I have put together the main page but need some fresh eyes to look at it.
I will create a video once I can decide on which free screen recorder works best. I haven’t made that hummingbird yet so I am planning to video the whole process using that as an example.
I didn’t want to re-invent the wheel by doing everything that Scorchworks has done on his site.
I am working on a new bitbucket repository to set up the code. I will also confirm that it works under Linux and Mac. - I think I taught myself enough markdown to make it work.

If you make a Pull Request, I can edit and push some fixes directly to your branch. Otherwise, I can make edits on my own branch, and request you pull them into your branch, but it will be harder if you are still working on it.

If that doesn’t make sense to you, I can explain more. I’m still not sure where your comfort level is :slight_smile:

No problem, I really just wanted you to get eyes on it to see if its OK. - I will create the pull request.

The content is great. The images are great. The layout is good. I have some things I will be editing on it, mostly for consistency, and for a using a bit more features of mkdocs. IMO, it is >90% there, and it is an excellent addition to the docs. So Thanks!

I completely agree that we shouldn’t be duplicating the documentation from scorchworks. This is more like a simplified tutorial to do one specific thing, and documentation that is specific to our normal set up. If users step outside of that path, then we will just point them to the more complete documentation.

MODfef is your post processing tool, right?

A little preview of how it looks in mkdocs:

1 Like

OK. I am done for now (Lunch break over). I think this would be considered approved. It is better than what we had before (which was nothing). So that meets my minimum requirements.

If you’d like to try out the mkdocs on your local machine here’s what I do (this is in ubuntu 18.04):

git clone https://github.com/ianj001/V1EngineeringInc-Docs.git
cd V1EngineeringInc-Docs
virtualenv -p python3 venv
source venv/bin/activate
pip install -r requirements.txt
mkdocs serve

Some low hanging fruit that we could do next:

1. It would be great if someone could actually test these instructions by trying to follow them and at least make some gcode. I didn’t, and I just assumed they would work.
  2. The hummingbird file probably shouldn’t be included. You have attributed it, and I think that is fine. But it isn’t super clear that this is a copyrighted work.
  3. Some of the carving steps are probably ok to leave out. I would like to assume that the user of this guide knows how to set up and carve jobs. It is fine now. This may be me just being nit picky.
  4. A video, if you’re willing to make it, would be awesome. I know that a lot of people pay more attention to video instructions than text. Some people are the opposite.

Just link to it.

Great, I think I have zeroed in on using OBS as the screen recorder. It’s more complicated that I really wanted but it will work. I will make a video that shows how this works. I will include footage of actually making a part too. - It should make the whole process easy to duplicate.
Yes MODfef is my post processing tool.

I have a file that I created myself, it’s actually a seahorse but is fine for demonstrations purposes or we could just link to it. I didn’t create link because I am never sure how long that link will persist.

Agreed. Using your own file, or one of the v1 logos, or a public domain image would all work well.

1 Like

OK, I have made a few changes and confirmed that it is working now on Windows, Linux and Mac. You will need Python3. I will update the documentation with the prerequisites.
You can clone the repo with git:
git clone ianj001@bitbucket.org/ianj001/modfef.git

The windows exe version is still downloadable from my website at MODfef2.zip It’s in a zip file that contains both the exe file and an ini file.

I started work on a video but didn’t like my seahorse (it took too long) so I will use the V1Engineering Logo. - I will update that in the documentation too.

4 Likes

I created a video to help people understand how to use it. I uploaded it to YouTube here MODfef video - I welcome feedback.

5 Likes

To set up the mkdocs server in Windows it’s slightly different:

git clone https://github.com/ianj001/V1EngineeringInc-Docs.git
cd V1EngineeringInc-Docs
python -m venv project_env
project_env\Scripts\activate.bat
pip install -r requirements.txt

to end the session:

deactivate

2 Likes

I must be missing something. When I try to edit the file after looking at it with mkdocs serve
I get a

So I can’t actually edit it that way.
Do I still need to edit and do a pull request?
I also can’t navigate to that doc from the menu.

Never mind… I think I got it. - I edited the file created the pull which merged it then downloaded again using mkdoc serve

You can edit it in the cloned repo. Where you ran mkdocs serve. Then you would use git commands or a git gui to commit and push them to your branch.

This all looks really good to me. This has surpassed my minimum bar for a PR. I will leave it for @vicious1 to take another look. and merge it though.

Thanks!

Sorry guys I am soooo far behind on emails. Let me see what I can do after shipping today.

Merged. Deployed. Looks great!

https://docs.v1engineering.com/software/Fengrave-vcarve-inlay/

Thanks again, Ian!

1 Like