New multipurpose build in Kansas - Plasma/Router/Laser

And I do not know what erase does, never tried it.

If I have an issue I re-flash, make sure Archim is selected in the boards menu and you do NOT have u8glib installed.

There are a bunch of these out there now and I have not had any other issues. If it continues for you I will set mine up again and double check. At worst it is just a LCD timing issue. I think I have a know timing issue LCD to test with now.

isn’t u8glib included in the firmware? I never downloaded it separately.

Right. That’s what he is saying. Don’t install it on its own.

For whatever reason, it only freezes when disconnected from the usb. Thoughts?

@vicious1 @jeffeb3

Troubleshooting leads me to beleive its power related. Using a phone charger to supply additional power through the usb connection leads to stable operation. Next to test it with the motors and stops connected.

Unplug the usb, restart the board. That should work fine.

No dice. It doesn’t matter how many times you restart it, it still locks up (if you’re lucky enough to even make it to the main page.) But the moment you plug in a second power source, it works fine. I was able to get everything set up and draw the crown. The dual end-stops work great, the only hiccup was that the z was inverted.

Not sure if the board is faulty, or if there would be something in the firmware that might cause this behavior?

Router should be here Tuesday! (Wife wanted to start cutting some projects sooner rather than later, so I’ll have to re-do all my wiring for the plasma cutter sometime in the future.)

Some update pictures:
Put some wheels on with levelers.

Spoil board:

Obnoxious paint:

Tnuts in the spoil board

All the goodies for assembly:

The annoying blue screen every time it freezes: (pre secondary power source)

Obligatory crown drawing:(with a duct tape sharpie!)

3 Likes

You can jist flip the Z plug to reverse the direction of the stepper.

@jeffeb3 yep, that’s what I did. Didn’t feel like going back inside and changing the firmware.

Doing some research and it sounds like the 5v regulator is bad on this board.

Are you sure your power supply (12V) is ok? We haven’t seen a bad 5V regulator on a legit rambo board before (plenty on the ramps).

1 Like

I can put a multimeter on it, but I would expect to have issues with with driving the steppers if that was the case.

Yeah, but the motors will move with almost any voltage. Even under 5V.

That green adapter has be a know pain in my but and I am not including them in the next batch of power supplies.

I have not seen any reg issues with ultimachine boards yet so I really hope that is not it.

12.8 no load coming out of the supply, 12.8 to the power block on the board (with or without the USB connected). 12.4 at the block when running the steppers(with the USB power connected - it freezes when the USB is disconnected)

Okay I am working on this now with Jason from ultimachine. The firmware I have up as of last night works better but without usb still blanks eventually. My old tagged version works fine so something has changed in the firmware. Getting there.

I will update it here.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for the update! Jason emailed me last night and I linked him to the Github page for the firmware. It’s good to know that its reproducible and not just my board!

1 Like

Slowly making progress!

6 Likes

Rad Build! The wire braid sheath is intense man, major shielding…I think I just got a reality check on my secret little desire to do a plasma table. :slight_smile: keep up the awesome work!

It’s probably overkill since I used shielded wire as well, but it adds some protection to the wires which is a nice bonus.

I forgot I had some ferrite beads, so I clipped one onto each if the short exposed sections of the steppers. Again, overkill. But I had them, so why not?!

I need to finish wiring for the outlet relay, and the torch relay. I need to sit down and read how to trigger them with the gcode, and the wiring for the Archim1.