TMC CONNECTION ERROR on a brand new build

Hey guys. I just finished my build (almost), trying to get firmware installed to test things out, and ran into this error on the display.
A bit before Christmas I decided I was going to start printing and jumped down the rabbit hole …
Several pieces were out of stock in the V1 store, so I piece my own kit together mostly from Amazon, some from V1, hardware for boltdepot-com, and electronics direct from BigTree. I opted for the SKR PRO v1.2 with a TTF50.
My exceptions to the excellent build instruction: I want to add endstops (they just came today and my designed mounts are still printing) so I wired each stepper to it’s own bent pin 2209. I have yet to plug in the endstops.
I’ve downloaded “V1CNC_SkrPro_Dual_2209-2.0.7.2-src”, moved the firmware file, unplugged ribbons, and restarted. I also put the TFT50 files on card with it after that and restarted again. Reconnected ribbons and restarted several times to no printer on touch display to TMC CONNECTION ERROR on Marlin screen.

Any help would be apricated - Lew

Just noticed in the instructions there are 2 pair of power leads. Do I need to split the power in?

Yep, loop them together.

Thank you. I’ll pick up some adapters tonight. I tried to put ends on everything else, so i don’t just want to wire nut a pigtail!

Lew

Power spliced, but I need to recheck my firmware. Display said v1cnc 509d ready. Z moves, but only a single x and a single y move and barely at that.

Are you sure you have the Dual version?

Sending M119 from the terminal on the screen, or an attached computer running repetier host will show all the endstops. You can also use M122 to get more info about the drivers, but it’s usually too long for the screen terminal.

Sent m119 and it keeps returning m105. Let me guess, I need to have ends stops plugged in to test further? I amended machine name to verify I was loading proper firmware.

Movement commands aren’t working from tft either, just marlin.

Love the fact y’all hid Nerd! In the display!

V1CNC_SkrPro_2209-2.0.7.2-scr is the file I’m working with.

That one is not dual. The dual endstop one says “Dual” in the name.

Your baud rate on the screen probably needs to be set. It should be 250,000

Well that could be my issue for sure! I did wire up my end stops while waiting for a reply. Getting chili in the shop so heading in to warm up a bit.

Marlin_V1CNC_SkrPro_Dual_2209_2.0.7.2_509-src Sorry, I am using the correct build just didn’t type it correctly. I should be done for the night, but I may run through and check all my wires. First time attempting these dupont connectors and they are far from pretty. Was able to get Y2 moving, but X2 refused to move. I switched it with the Y2 on mainboard and was able to get it to move (as Y2). I may have killed stepper driver?

After the initial flash, can I upload marlin updates over usb on SKR, or do I need to pull SD drop in firmware every time like I have been? Also as my initial question was answered so I continue this in the build section? I probably should have started there…

The skr doesn’t support flashing over usb. Just the micro sd. At least at this point.

Getting the response from M122 would tell you a lot about the drivers. I think you need to connect it to a computer and repetier host and see what M122 says. Just paste the whole thing here and we can both look at it.

Don’t connect the endstops to the skr yet. One step at a time.

Thanks. When I get home tonight I will check my wires and run the code from laptop to paste in here.

My stepper issues were solely due to my poor dupont connections! I’ve now learned what good crimp feels like. I believe I have all motors rotating as they should and now on belts.

New issues:

1 - tft50 is continually beeping and returning unknown command “M221”. Even after restart.

2 - when I load the crown in rapier I get no preview.

I was able to get it to connect after updating com port drivers and it appears to be plotting ungodly slow.

Well I would say success!

IIRC, it takes a few minutes to finish. 2-3? Can someone confirm? Did you make your own port use the premade gcode test crown?

To get RH to show it, you need to let it show travel moves. There is a setting somewhere.

The tft is asking for the extruder flow rate (M221). This machine doesn’t have an extruder. We’ve worked up some custom tft firmware to fix that. But we don’t have a build for the tft 50.