Sometimes it's the small things

Two simple projects in a couple days
Nothing fancy, just small practical things…

First, re-surfacing m’y custom-made bbq side table that’s been sitting in the rain

And while we’re at it, why not put a little flare on it?

Re-assembled it today after a couple coats of varnish

The table was hand-made before I got the CNC but I’m tempted to CNC build a couple more for friends

15 Likes

Second project today, a small lid for a candle my wife has made (custom-made pottery and poured the candle wax and stem)
This is cut in a leftover of teak shelves I had lying around

Again, just a simple circle cut and a rabbet, although I had to grind/surface a significant thickness off the raw material I had
So that was my first machining with a tool change (one 15mm surfacing bit and then standard 3mm bit)

Also had to re-attach the piece with a fixture and re-machine it for tolerance/fitting

16 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

That’s a very clean table on the classic bbq. Nice work

1 Like

Most of all, it’s really really handy… Can’t live without it now
Everytime I go to a bbq by a friend or family, I’m looking for a place to lay the plates and stuff

This one let’s you store 2 plates quite easily, (and a beer, most important!)

It can be folded away when the bbq is not in use (hre original cover won’t fit though :/)

It just attaches to the existing handle using two saw slits and a screw, pretty easy to build, and it doesn’t require any modification on the bbq itself

Also, this was made from leftover oak flooring, so it cost me nothing ^^"

7 Likes

That is genius what a great thought out idea. going to clean my bbq now when I get home haha.
Love how it just goes right onto the side handle !

I’m currently toying with the idea to make a lid with some kind of wavy pattern on the top

This kind of comes from those topics, so “thanks” I guess :slight_smile:

Something along those lines:

What do you think?
Any idea of cool pattern I could do with this?
Maybe something simpler, too, like a smooth convex top?

5 Likes

Depending on the amount of material you have/are willing to use…

Start simple. I would probably do a regular geometric pattern that does not need to be centered. Maybe hexagons like a beehive? Might be appropriate for a beeswax candle, I guess.

If a centered pattern were needed, I might hog out a plug that the lid would fit in to keep it in place with known coordinates. That also works because the job would need to be 2 sided. Maybe I would leave the hold-down tabs just a little and have a spot for them in the hogged out place to keep it from rotating. File them off later.

Maybe a pseudo-knurled edge, with finger grips, but that would be more appropriate to a threaded jar lid, I guess.

Or, last, a candle motif. Flame patterns? That would look cool carved in 3D, too.

Actually that’s already what I’ve done for the “simple” version
The fit was not right and I needed to shave a couple tenth off the inner circle, so I created a program that carves a pocket inMDF, hamered the lid into this, and ran the second program to shave off some material
The only difference is that I did not need to flip the lid for this operation

I’m really trying to make a 3D carve here, for “simple” flat carve I might just do this qith the laser I think (asked my wife if she had a signature she wanted to put inside the lid)

FWIW I really like the “wavy” one.

A lot.

Just keep on inspiring me like this and who knows I might even finish AND start using my machine one day!

Really great idea, I might steal it, I’ve got the same grill. :smile:

If I can force you to make more awesome things quicker, that’s a win win :stuck_out_tongue:

Squeezed an hour of machining today in between other home tasks…

Roughing:

And final pass with a 3.2mm lollipop bit

Fresh out of the mill

Sprayed a quick coat of varnish, I must say this looks pretty damn good!

8 Likes