SKR 1.2 + TFT - Marlin works but Touchscreen = 'no printer attached

Do you have an SKR pro? The file you just mentioned is not for the Pro.

That particular baud rate is not used. It has something to do with an lcd we aren’t using. VS is trying to tell you that by making it shaded darker.

The 250k we use is near the top of configuration.h. i am guessing changing that and reflashing fixed it because reflashing fixed it.

My mistake I tagged the wrong files in my post. I do have a SKR pro 1.2 with TMC 2209 drivers and I discovered the problem and feel like an idiot. I didn’t have power to the motor plug (I found in the forum someone else did the same thing). Thanks again for the quick response!

2 Likes

So I was in the exact same position as @multipass was when he started this thread.

SKR Pro 1.2 with TFT screen, where I initially plugged in the cable incorrectly (5v power on wrong side) and booted the board. At first I got the “No printer attached” with the errors showing that there was no power to the motor. I got the motor power working, then found that I could move the Axis in Marlin mode, but not in touch screen mode. I read this whole thread and tried what I could.

I then flashed the board with
V1CNC_SkrPro_DualLR_2209-2.0.7.2-src.zip

Which worked, but still had the “No printer attached” error on the screen. The file name changed when I checked the card, and I saw the green lights (with grey cables disconnected) and all looked good. Baud rate set to 250000.

Then I flashed the screen with:

BIGTREE_TFT35_V3.0_E3.26.x.bin

It appeared to flash properly, but half way through the screen inverted. After completion I removed the card and reset and it is still inverted. I tried flashing again and it has the same result. With the display backwards, I can navigate through, but the images are literally backwards from where the display is touched. Also there is no printer attached error.

So aside from reflashing, anything else I can do to try and fix?

Minor correction, Marlin mode still works, no printer attached, touch screen does not work, but screen is backwards…

I can’t find anything about screen being backwards online after flashing. Confusing…

If I remember correctly, this is an issue with newer hardware versions of the TFT35 not playing nice with the existing firmware. I’ve come across it in other threads, but couldn’t tell you exactly what the fix is.

EDIT:
Here is another thread with the same issue.

That worked, I flashed the screen back to the file in that thread and I got the screen back to normal.

Now just stuck with Marlin mode working on all axis, but there is “No printer attached”. Is this firmware related?

I may be mistaken, but in an earlier post you said you had gray cables disconnected? Pretty sure you need those for marlin mode, ad the black cable is for touch mode.

Thanks MattB

Marlin mode works fine. TFT touch screen does not.

I’ve gone through all the posts and have it cabled correctly for sure. The issues seems to be exactly the same as this thread, which is why I revived it.

I tried with only the black cable and with the grey cables. Grey cables work to drive Marlin mode. The black cable when attached (in the correct direction) leaves me with “No printer attached” error. Initially I had the black cable reversed, which made me think I might have fried the board and brought me to this thread. In this thread, @vicious1 suggests the answer to @multipass question was to send the board back. Of course I dug keep into the thread and realized there could be much more to the issue than bad hardware.

It’s unclear if SKR Pro works with TFT screen with the latest builds. I could roll back to previous versions, but unclear if that will be a rabbit hole or not. I’m guessing it’s firmware related, since Marlin mode works fine. That said it could have been the initial jolt I gave it by reversing the voltage on the 5v black wire.

Well, if reversed, +5v goes to reset, and GND to TX. What I’m not sure of is if the reset pin goes straight to the reset button, which, I would assume, would be open. Then again, I don’t know if sending TX to ground would do any damage either. I couldn’t find a schematic on their Github site.

I guess also, if you were sourcing power from the grey cables, and had the black reversed, it could be sending voltage into the reset pin on the SKR, and grounding it’s TX pin.

Another Edit: Did you check the baud rate again after this last firmware flash?

Yessir, baudrate is 250000. Earlier in the thread multiple people talk about how reversing it should not be an issue but Ryan ended up replacing the boards and it worked. The screen works, the board works, marlin works, all the drivers work, the only thing that doesn’t work is TFT with the error “No printer attached”.

Can you post a picture of how you have it wired up. I test all the screens in both modes after I flash and ship them with the board it comes with so everything should have worked out of the box. Did your set come flashed, from me?

With that said after shipping nearly a thousand out of the ones I flashed and tested ~900 the only issue I have ever found was two screens had lines in them but still functioned 100%.

The 3-4 returns I have had came from the batch I did not flash, oddly enough.

The skr firmware is probably fine. The skr does all the heavy lifting for marlin mode. In tft mode, the screen is talking to the printer like octoprint or repetier host is, over a serial port. If you have it wired correctly, and it has the right baud rate, then there is probably something incompatible with our CNC firmware on the skr and the screen. The screen may be expecting a hot end temperature or something.

The right solution is for me to take the latest version of screen firmware from btt and do another huge edit to make a cnc version. Or figure out a way to reset the eeprom so new firmware doesn’t mess up our old firmware.

Thanks guys.

@vicious1 I bought a lowrider2 kit 2 weeks ago from your site. I assumed the SKR was flashed for Lowrider, but then I read in the forum that it doesn’t come flashed. I did not check it prior to flashing with the latest. The screen had a flash date of Sept 7th before I tried the binary that made it go inverted. Now it has a Sept 7th flash date on it and is not inverted.

On the SKR side, I have the single wire on the TFT black cable towards the grey cables. When I first fired it up, I had this backwards (same as @multipass who started this thread).

On the TFT side, there’s only one way it goes. Here are the pics:

Marlin functions fine & touch screen has “No printer attached” error. When I first started, I failed to power the motors, and it showed me the “all low” error, which I read a post from @jeffeb3 that was a good sign, as there was communication between SKR & TFT. After the motors were powered, the “all low” error went away.

@jeffeb3 maybe I should roll back to whatever version worked for @multipass, once the boards were replaced?

I can buy a spare screen to see if that fixes it. I’m moving forward with Marlin for my first couple of cuts, but would really like to use the touchscreen TFT for production.

Thanks again guys. I’m excited to get this together. I’m putting together a similar lowrider2 as Mat who shaped the boards out of foam. It will be used to build high temperature plugs & molds out of foam for electric hydrofoil surf boards.

https://a360.co/3opHHal

Once it is upside down there is no going back, use this firmware.
https://forum.v1e.com/uploads/short-url/3Q1eoHJWvETjrPAbgHfFs5EbHJx.zip

It does come flashed. I only skipped a batch of 50 boards (the second batch a long while back) and that caused all sorts of problems. So they are all flashed and tested now (hence the slight price increase).

I did use that yesterday and got the display back in order, but still missing the printer.

I don’t know for sure. Because I have not updated the FW on my screen. But I suspect that there isn’t an easy way to get the touchscreen mode to work. I don’t blame the hardware. I have it in my list to pick up the FW and kick it into working. But it may be a while.

A workaround for now is to flash a working version and seitch to marlin mode (which is completely capable).

I am not sure what is in the firmware Ryan posted, but I am guessing it works in Marlin and not in touch screen mode for our cnc firmware.

2 Likes

@jeffeb3 you are correct, using the firmware for the SKR Pro 1.2 called out in the build sheet (specifically the 2209 dual version) and the TFT firmware that Ryan linked in the post that I created, Marlin mode works 4.0, no “No printer attached” message or anything, touch mode kind of works, but missing all the CNC specific features and some of the actual features are broken.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Help with board connection