Sand tables at Costco

A friend sent me a picture.

$400

1 Like

https://www.costco.com/homedics-drift-sandscape-.product.100941177.html

1 Like

It clearly has something like gcode motor control. It isn’t just a few wobbly bits like some of the cheaper ones we’ve seen before.

The app says apple only and it says it come with “hundreds” of patterns. But I wonder if there is a way to insert more or not.

Sandify doesn’t hold anything back with the license. And there are many ways to make spinning shapes without my code. But those do look very similar to a few clicks in sandify.

I really want to pick it apart and see how it works.

6 Likes

I’m with Jeff. I think taking it apart would be quite enjoyable and contribute to my wellness.

Just maybe not $400 worth of wellness.

5 Likes

I love Costco’s return policy

3 Likes

I really wanna see what’s inside!

1 Like

My neighbors are managers at Costco. Maybe I can offer a few beers for a picture of its guts without having to buy one.

3 Likes

Please let it have a V1 logo pattern built in. That would make me smile like a mad man.

There are a couple YouTube videos. One shows the app and it just has a list of patterns.

3 Likes

Apparently there is an android version. But it won’t let me see the patterns without connecting to a table. Maybe I will go visit a costco and try to connect to the table on display. Will it be plugged in?

2 Likes

I tried that as well.

The one my friend saw was plugged in. I need to try and connect. I think it would be rad if it was all sandify patterns.

2 Likes

Having the V1 logo in there would really convince me they used sandify.

Screenshot_20221023-085119~2

This is a screen grab from a video. IDK, maybe?!

1 Like

To be clear. Sandify has a business friendly licence (MIT) and I have made it clear from the beginning that I am an instrument maker and any patterns your make are your art. So I am very happy to see anything made with it being useful.

I love the idea that an artist sat at sandify for a full couple of days and made up a couple of hundred patterns to convert to whatever format this table uses. I am focused on it because I want to see some confirmation that the patterns did use sandify, for my own knowledge.

I hope that making sand tables more accessible will make the whole community larger, and original players like Bruce Shapiro and Ryan get more credit because of it.

5 Likes

Exactly!

This is the pattern that made me really think it was Sandify. That and one of them is called fast clean, not just spiral.

3 Likes

And that’s for a 16” table. Yeah seems a bit on the pricey side. But it’s cool that they are hitting the mainstream.

1 Like

What would upset me is if they scraped patterns from somewhere else, from artists that made the patterns. Maybe from the sisyphus library or something. But I don’t have any evidence that is happening.

2 Likes

I was thinking that is a pretty good price. Obviously they are making money but for a complete set it and forget it system, fairly priced. I probably built my 3’x5’ for a bit less, but that took a long time to build the actual table and source the glass. My wled controlled lights have a bit more flair as well.

But if we get to see the insides, maybe this is a super hackable unit running grbl and has individually addressable leds???

2 Likes

On the flip side of all of this it really smacks me in the face that myself…or maybe even Bruce (if he did not have some involvement) really missed an opportunity here. This thing is available at Costco, Best Buy, Target, And Crutchfeild to name a few…I think I could have taken a few extra days off each year if I had marketed/treated the ZenXY table differently.

3 Likes

Any suggestions on making a more consumer friendly version of the MPCNC? Dremel made a 3D printer, maybe they would be interested in a CNC…?

4 Likes

I thought Dremel tried that a few years back by making a small desktop CNC?

But I think you have a point. It seems like now would be a better time for more wide adoption with the growing popularity of 3D printing.

2 Likes

Sand Table Side note, Enter Arrakis: The Coolest Sand Table

I think I need to make a new topic for getting to a more broad audience. My brain gears are spinning right now.

2 Likes