Primo Upgrade Medina, OH (Now with lasers!)

i cant find 1/8 ply anywhere! i’m sitting here trying to get my 1.6W laser to cut through 1/4" and hating every minute of it LOL

1 Like

Amazon is your friend.

1 Like

I did buy some from Amazon, but my laser won’t cut it

That is 10 passes at .3 mm and 50mm/s

This is the back

2 Likes

50mm/sec is pretty fast… I just realized I was posting my speeds in mm/sec instead of mm/min! :astonished: I just went and made the edit notations. Sorry if this was causing headaches! :sweat_smile:Try slower!

1 Like

HAHAHHA… I am just now setting up my test file. I was looking at the fact that I typically burn at 10mm/sec and I was like, “How the heck is he burning THROUGH plywood at 100mm/sec”.

So, 100mm/min is ~1.6mm/sec.

What is the .3mm?

Thanks to your inspiration, I successfully burned a hole in a piece of plywood. I just did test circles. My significantly less powerful laser took quite a few more passes.

I ran at 2mm/min, 100% power, and 9 passes. I also rigged up a small air blaster using an air brush hose and the tip off of a blow gun. I ran it at about 18psi.

1 Like

Nice! Hey, waitaminute, where you get that…(checks laser rig in next room). That hose looks familiar.:grin:

1 Like

.3mm doc per pass,

Ahh, OK. From what I have found, and reading some other threads around here, you will get better results without dropping the Z every pass. This will also help lessen the wider burn on the top surface. Since the beam is essentially a inverted cone, focused on the material, every time you lower the Z, a wider part of the cone is hitting the top of the work. By looking at the bottom you were almost there! I would slow the movement down too.

Sorry I was mistaken that was at 50mm/min and I don’t think it will cut if I don’t drop the z down, I mean it will cut through the first 1mm but then the laser will be to unfocused to cut the rest of the way through. What is frustrating is I have cut through 3mm plywood before. At speeds of 140mm/min 6 passes and a doc of .5mm so I’m not sure if what is going on :confused:

I’ve noticed my penetration varies from piece to piece, even from the same bundle of sheets. I’m guessing its the glue thickness between the layers and/or the density of the layers.

1 Like

I got it from the table behind me where my son and I were air brushing a model airplane :slight_smile:

Looks like I have some more testing/changing to do to get really good cuts.

I went to cut an ornament and it didn’t go well. None of the cuts went all the way through and having to do 9 passes caused a lot of burning along the edges.

I took this as a sign that it is time to upgrade the laser on the machine. I’ve never been really happy with the 3.3w unit. I know a diode laser will never be as fast as a co2, but I always wanted it to etch just a little faster. We’ll see how it does with a more powerful unit.

I should probably make my own thread at this point. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

there are some good black friday deals on aliexpress

I picked this guy up.

That’s a great deal! Will this work with our MPCNCs though?

Well, why not?

Glass is from a flat bed scanner I harvested for parts. 100mm/min, 100% on the frickin’ laser beam, single pass. Did make crackling noises as it burned. I didn’t know if it would shatter or not. Guess not.

2 Likes

It’s the little spots of glass spalling off the surface you hear. The under side of the tape will have glitter on it now.