Primo Upgrade Medina, OH (Now with lasers!)

Decided to build a separate platform for the laser. Primo worked great, just took up a little too much desk space. This will do about 400x400mm.

It’s a hodge-podge of different parts from multiple machines I found on the thangverse. Also used @meatball 's belt clamps from his remix of @geodave 's cantilevered laser engraver. Got another CNCshield and have it pretty much dialed in. Haven’t decided on whos legs I’m going to use, It’s currently sitting on 4 M5 screws in hammer nuts.

So the Christmas gift factory is up and running. These are 2.6mm stock cut at 200mm/min, 100% power, 2 passes. Somehow I feel that faster speed with multiple passes makes for a cleaner cut.

3 Likes

dang it. I’m going to hobbylobby and picking up some thin plywood this weekend. I really need to see if my laser can burn through it now.

Menards has an ok supply of craft woods if there is one near you.

heh… nope. Michael’s and Hobby Lobby have the best craft wood around here.

Other options are Lowe’s and Home Depot, but they don’t have wood like that.

1 Like

This is what I’ve been using…
https://www.amazon.com/LINSHRY-Unfinished-Coasters-Painting-Decorations/dp/B07WWNB99K/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=linshry+4x4&qid=1605198841&sprefix=linshry&sr=8-2

I would really like to see a picture of how you have your laser wired to the control board, to help make sure i am doing it right for mine.

So I have a pair of wires going from the Z-max end-stop to the TTL input on the controller that came with the laser. It then connects via a 4 wire lead to the laser head itself. This carries power, PWM, and temperature feedback. The 4wire cable came with the laser kit.

thanks for the pics, unfortunately I am using a different board, but the concept is the same.
so I thought I might have had it and then my LCD screen went blank, it lights up but now it does not have any info on it. I tried re-flashing it but it seems like all the files have an error in them. I guess if they are all bad, then it must be my computer instead of the files. any thoughts?

If you are using Marlin then everything is different. Plus, depending on the board you’re using, the output pin will definitely be different. The only boards I have Marlin running on are my 3D printers and I’ve never tried using a laser with them. I’m using GRBL for my laser and cnc rigs, which has different command structures, and runs on different boards with different pinouts.

I wish I could help, but I have zero experience with Marlin based boards and lasers. Sorry man. I know there are some threads around here dealing with a setup similar to yours. Try doing a search for Marlin and laser in the root of the forum.

I made a new nozzle from a pen and have it directed better now. Almost no scorching on the cuts and repeatability is great! Figured Sata…Santa’s workshop needed some helpers.

Mrs. Claus has decided on gnomes this year.

5 Likes

Another test. This time 3.12mm, labeled 3mm-1/8" baltic birch plywood. 100mm/sec@100%, 2pass.
EDIT: Sorry, 100mm/MIN!

Bottom

Minor splintering. Nothing that can’t be fixed in post. Probably would’ve turned out nicer if I used a knife to weed it out.

2 Likes

Speaking of DIY micro manufacturing…

Where can I find a 1" tft?:laughing:

6 Likes

This guy has a few games for the ttgo.

There are some people trying to run gameboy games on the esp32:

There are some projects with really tiny gameboys.

3 Likes

More pieces from Santa’s workshop.

5 Likes

Today’s output…

Took about 1-1/2 hours each piece. I used the 1/8" birch, 200mm/sec, 100%, 4 pass. Still needs some post, but cuts are done. Got the file at 3axis.co.
EDIT: Sorry, 200mm/MIN!

6 Likes

All the hobby shops around me are out of 1/8" plywood. I blame it on you :smiley:

4 Likes

Very good work lovely

2 Likes

Alright… I’ve ordered a bunch of lite ply. Time to see if my laser can do this.

I’ll be making some 2020 Christmas ornaments for family and friends.

1 Like

Tim, I want to eventually be where you are today.

Today!? I was on a service call in Lisbon, OH. Not much around there. :joy::wink:

1 Like