Pocket with a T-slot bit

I’m currently trying to CAM a a sliding door handle:

There are a few challenges to this part like 2-sided machining, but that should be ok I think I figured this out

But I’m struggling with the small “lip” on top:

Making a straight pocket in the middle is quite straightforward, but how would you mill this small lip?
I thought about first clearing the inside of the pocket with a straight bit, and then hav a second toolpath that cleans the inner recess using a T shaped or a slot bit like those ones:

The thing is, I don’t know what operation I should use nor what type of bit I should declare in the tool library

Anyone ever had to mill similar features?

That’s very interesting. I’m not sure what you could do. I agree with clearing the inner pocket first. But i have no idea what you would use for the lip. If you try to pocket that but start lower its still going to start from the edge and run right though the lip in one spot. I’m curious to see what others say about this!

In Estlcam, whst I might do (assuming the second bit)

Define the bit by it’s outside diameter (1 1/16" = 26.988mm) and use the CAD drawing of the larger portion of the hole. Assume that the opening in the center will be larger than 26.988mm.

Cut the hole a little deeper than the shoulder of the bit using a tiny step-down, that’s 5/16" (7.94mm) so say cut it 10mm deep, that leaves about 2mm.

The trick would be to do a full depth finishing pass. Make it say 2mm allowance for the finishing pass, which will leave a lip 2mm deep and 2mm high.

Repeat a little deeper if you want a deeper slot.

1 Like

Personally, I’d divide the job into two pieces (the well and the flange), mill them separately as one-sided jobs, and glue them together. I’d also speed things up by surfacing/planing the stock to near or at the finished thickness for each piece.

In Fusion 360, I’m sure there is probably a right way to do this task, but the only thing that comes to mind is to give up on all the calculations that Fusion 360 does for you and define your own paths for the bit. Then you can use the 2D Trace toolpath to make the cuts. You would need to do all the calculations yourself including depth of cut, and offset for the diameter of the bit. Also, you would want to pocket the inner diameter first before using the slot cutter.

2 Likes

I like @robertbu’s approach, and I would only add: glue joints, when tight and right, are stronger than the wood was originally.

2 Likes

Thought about that this morning
Except I would mill everything from the black and glue the cover on the black
Could work…

Carve the pocket from the back, leaving the lip, and creating a recess on the top to accomodate the cover later:

Pocket on the outside, leaving the front flange:

Note: I still have a small problem on this operation, if I’m making a 2D pocket, the CAM will also clear the inside :confused: Selecting the two sketch profiles seems to do the trick, but I’m not 100% sure…

Separate the part from the stock

Then I’d need to machine another part for the back cover (slightly scaled down for tolerances)

Not hard, but that would waste a lot of stock as I’d need to surface out 18mm off the top to make a 2mm thick cover… time and effort consuming…

I’d be interested to see if/how you can do it as described though

1 Like

Wondering if I could bend the “lead-in” param to account for the lip with…

1 Like

Not hard, but that would waste a lot of stock as I’d need to surface out 18mm off the top to make a 2mm thick cover… time and effort consuming…

You would cut the piece slightly bigger than your cover or face, then resaw the wood. You can get at least 2 and perhaps as many as 4 pieces of stock out of one 18mm thick piece of wood. For this small a piece, even a handsaw would do the job, though a table saw or a bandsaw would be easier.

Except I would mill everything from the black and glue the cover on the black

I suggested doing the face separately because of the chamfer on the front side of the face plate. Plus, it hides the glue joint a bit better.

I’d be interested to see if/how you can do it as described though

I spent a bit more time on the problem. Fusion 360 does allow you define slot mills, so defining the bit is not a problem. Searching on YouTube returned a few hits using slot mills. They were doing the simpler task of cutting a keyhole for hanging a sign, and, for the couple of videos I skimmed, they used the Trace toolpath as I suggested. You would need to create a sketch at the right height (offset plane) for the tip (bottom center) of the slot mill to follow. The tricky part will be getting the slot mill to enter inside the opening.

I accomplished exactly this trick when I needed some keyholes to be CNC cut using a T-slot bit. I did it by manually drawing the cut line with its beginning at the place where I needed it to drop the bit into the material, then having another point on the line, at the extent of where I needed it to carry the T-slot bit, and then I made a very very tiny U-turn, and brought the line back, in a parallel way, to right beside where it came in at. This controlled the starting point and ending point, and allowed me to carry the bit around while making sure that I entered and left at practically the same spot.

2 Likes

I think that’s the right way to do it indeed…
Cut the contour of the piece through the whole stock, leaving a tab on either side , and then re-split it using a bandsaw or table saw
But I’m lazy and if I can do everything on the LR3, I definitely will :stuck_out_tongue:

Yep, makes sense
Although, because I’d need to change to a ball endmill for this feature anyway, I’d still cut everything from the back and then flip it and add the finishing features
But I gave up on the little chamfer anyway, on a 2mm thick piece it’s not that visible, and could be added with a small planer or light sanding

I will definitely look into that! Thanks for the pointer to the right operation and methodology

In the meantime:

mistakes were made, but it looks good in the end ^^"

4 Likes

I just ran a quick test, and, with a slot mill defined, you can use a Contour toolpath, and fusion handles the offset for you…none of the calculations you would need to do to use a Trace toolpath. You would need to create multiple toolpaths for different depths. This can be handled in the Heights tab.

Nicely done on the ones you show in your image.

1 Like

Damn, Was it that easy? I totally missed it :confused:

Made a pile of waste, can’t say I’m proud of this, but it ran while I was here replying to the messages, so… it’s kind of why we do CNC right?

Will spray a coat of varnish real quick and see how it looks :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That looks great to me.

Made the CAM for this, I’ll try this for the few next…

1 Like

I’m sure you already figured it out, but your CAM does not look right. The tool path should be in from the contour by 1/2 your mill diameter.

Mmmmmh… That was sketchy…

Getting the thickness right was very hard, got 1 out if 6…
Now I need to make a fixture and surface all of these

Gained a bit of material but time-wise that was not worth it I think :confused:

Which one?
The one for the stacked backs? They turned out quite OK

The first one with all the carving has been redone, yes :slight_smile:

Best fixture is no fixture

Masking tape and superglue… works wonders! :smiley:

Now we wait…

3 Likes

The approach you took is a good one.

If you were going to make 50 of them, and you wanted to skip the glue, you would at least need another tool to rough out the middle. Then make sure the lead in plunges in the middle and only cuts at one depth (or only cuts deeper than the flange, at least. Even with the right CAM, it seems like a difficult cut to succeed.

There are so e examples for keyholes using a keyhole bit. This would be similar but different.

2 Likes

Yes I think that was the simplest approach, no tool change, no fixture, the only difficulty is to cut the thin back plates on the table saw, but if I were to make large numbers of this, I’d devise a jig to cut them (like a thin rip jig)

Tomorrow I’ll cut a template for making the holes in the doors, and install the handles

4 Likes