No Z axis movement

No Z axis movement, new stepper motor works fine ordered from amazon and replaced because I had a bad connector. I’ve got a new board and a new set of drivers coming Monday. Stuck in the Texas ice and trying to get this thing up and running. Screen on the TFT shows a TMC connection error but seems like everything else works but the Z

Running SKR pro v1.2 and TMC 2209 drivers with the screen on marlin mode. kit bought from the V1 store

Recently we saw on the forum an SKR Pro board where the stepper header was not completely soldered to the board, so you might carefully look at the soldering on your board. The OP soldered the pins, and everything then worked fine. You might run a quick test by swapping TMC2209 drivers to make sure the issue is not the driver.

Could I swap to Z1 and see if it’s a bad port?

There is no second Z port on the SKR Pro. There is X, Y, Z, E0, E1, and E2. You could do a temporary swap of the stepper to one of the X and Y ports to verify the wiring and the stepper motor. In theory you could swap the Z with E2, but that will require firmware changes.

1 Like

I’ve got 2 Z ports, Z0, and Z1. instructions on the website state that you plug into Z0 and leave the jumpers in Z1.

You are right and I am wrong. The board has 6 drivers, but 7 connections. I’m unclear about why the jumpers are necessary, so I don’t know if swapping to Z1 port is even a possibility.

Could i Possibly swap the Jumpers from Z1 to Z0 and just use the Z1 with some firmware changes?

The two Z ports are connected. Because of the jumpers, I’m not sure how they are connected. If Z1 is usable, I expect it can be used without any firmware changes.

@vicious1, is using Z1 instead of Z0 a viable thing to do, and is it as simple as just swapping the jumpers?

As a first step, I would plug Z into one of the X or Y steppers and verify that the stepper functions (and therefore the issue is not wiring or the stepper). I would also swap the Z stepper driver to make sure the issue is not the driver.

i’ve swapped the motor to other ports and it functions as intended. drivers are kinda iffy as i’ve swapped them around too and it seems to work fine

Ruyan (vicious1) will get back to you about swapping Z0 and Z1. Did you check the soldering of the stepper sockets on the bottom side of the board?

They are connected in series, so the jumpers are needed. You can plug into either port as long as the jumpers are on the other one. There should be no difference.

Can you upload a picture of your board as it sits. For some reason we are getting a whole new issue that has never popped up before. Suspect there are some poor instructions floating around somewhere and people are plugging things in wrong. It has never happen before and we have had 2-3 this last two weeks.

1 Like

swap your Z driver for one of the X or Y drivers. No need to wait for anything to do testing.

If it is a series connection, and the issue is the soldering of the pins like the other topic, then swapping won’t solve the issue. I cannot see an upside to swapping connections.

Because the circuits run through both ports.

The A motor coil goes from the driver to pin 1 on the first port, to the motor, which connects it to pin 2. It then goes to pin 1 on the second port, through the jumper (because there is no motor there) to pin 2, which returns to the driver to complete the circuit. Pins 3 and 4 do the same thing. If you remove the jumpers, the circuit does not complete, and the motor is unplugged.

Because we are only using 5 of the 6 drivers, it should be posssible in firmware to use a different driver for the Z axis. This does involve recompiling the firmware, but is possible. As it sits, the 7 motor connectors should go: X, Y, Z, (jumpered), X2, Y2, (no connection/extruder).

If you have a bad solder or bad socket on the board, it should be possible to alter the firmware to use the extra socket instead of the nonfunctional one. It’s unfortunately nontrivial, but if the board is definitely NG, then it’s an option.

1 Like

Here’s pictures of the board, with nothing connected. waiting on mounting hardware so i can get my makeshift case done. i’m not really an electronics guy but how do i tell bad soldering and bad drivers?

That doesn’t help as much as wired up.

Why did you skip that driver? Here is the chart. All the machines use the driver socket you have empty.

https://docs.v1engineering.com/electronics/skrpro/#mpcnc-and-lowrider-cnc

1 Like

I was only sent 5 in the package I bought from the store, which is what states it has. but the instructions all have 6, so I went with this picture

Just noticed I didn’t do this step, would removing the jumpers for the UART mode help?

The link I sent in my previous post has the diagram for which drivers you need. You will be skipping the last one.

I will delete that image.

Yes, you absolutely need to remove the jumpers, and add the one shown.

Alright,

Went out and got it wired up, tried doing the jumpers, everything seems to be running better on the X and Y axes now. Nothing is wrong with the Z axis stepper motor as I plugged it into Y and it worked fine.

Here’s attached pictures. Guess the last thing I could try is swapping around the drivers and seeing if it’s a bad one or not.
Uploading: 2.jpg…
Uploading: 3.jpg…
Uploading: 4.jpg…
Uploading: 5.jpg…
Uploading: 6.jpg…