New primo build in Ohio

Well, folks after a few weeks of fooling around I’ve finished my Primo. Did the crown thing and it worked as advertised.I made cutting surface 24x30 to accommodate the parts I need to cut. I’ll include photos of the finished (nearly) product and if anyone wants a cut list or anything else, just let me know. It’s all built of MDF and I’m happy with the end result. You will also notice that my waste board is raised a bit. That’s because I made a cutout to hold it so that I could easily replace it.

It’s built on large rubber wheels that lock and I’m hoping that is stable enough for large cuts. I used the infamous tape measure hack for cable management. Tried to run all cables through one of two holes in the top and the controller is inside the cabinet. Used one I found for SKR Pro with fans. Should work nicely.

I build electric guitars and an amplified 4-string mandolin of my design. All designs are my own/. Previously, I used a Shaper Origin for all the work (amazing machine) so I have the 2 d files. Now I need to convert some to 3d for the cutout.

Here are a few lessons learned on this. Background on me. I’m an IT executive with a long background in building things. My first career was as a carpenter and contractor. Build and rehab along with a cabinet shop where I made cabinets and furniture. My IT background helps in the electronics side of things. Also, have an active 3D printing company.

OK, enough of that. What did I learn?

#1 When you start the wiring of the board and components, start with the board. Get all your connections right and fitting well. This is nearly impossible if you start the other end and are dealing with all kinds of wire lengths etc.

Whatever you do, don’t kid yourself and assume that you can make your own Dupont connectors. If you do, you may as well just kill yourself now. These fuckers are the worst. Another reason to start at the board and work your way out. That way you can order whatever length cable you need to wrap up the job.

#2 Ignore anything to do with Dupont connector

#3 Kill yourself if you choose to build your own cables with Dupont connector.

#4 Some of the instructions are confusing, co use the forum. You folks are so amazingly responsive and a fantastic resource. It would be nice to see some of the images in a broader format. I had writing questions about power and the photo cut the part I needed out of the picture. Little things like that, but again the community was fantastic.

#5 I’m guessing that we all want to make one as big as possible, but economy is critical when limited space is what you have. The cabinet has Shelves for storage. I may add a drawer somewhere down the road. The wheels are a godsend as it’s easy to move it where I need it. The bigger and softer the wheels the better. Don’t go with bike tires, but 4-6 inch wheels are great.

#6 Plan for upgrades. I’m guessing that I’ll get into the laser stuff since this is working. Modularity is important.

#7 Any accessories you need are on either Printables.com or thingiverse. Both great resources for extras.

8# Since I have the printers, I printed all the parts. This was handy because if I needed a mod of some sort, I had control over the process.

So that’s sorta it for now. AGain if any questions, lmk, I’m happy to share. I’ll post some guitar parts once I get them going.

Thanks again for all the help along the way.

4 Likes

Good job!

What was your biggest hurdle on this build?

If I had known that before building my Primo back when it was released I would have saved a lot of time. I did all the Dupont connections, but it was a humbling experience. They never fit. I had to do 4 single ones for the Lowrider and dreaded that part. :smile:

Side remark: your placing of the endstops is interesting.

Second side remark: try not to fix anything to the Z, like you did, it might pull and make cuts crooked.

Hmmm, sounds like my side gig could be making custom dupont cables??

:laughing:

2 Likes

Nice machine! I really like the end stop switches on the end stop itself. Since they are only used during homing there’s no need to have them on the trucks. It also makes it much easier to route the motor wires.

I have the correct crimper for the Dupont connectors and have gotten pretty good an getting a good crimp on the first try. I prefer custom cables over the “fold back the extra” approach. Of course, if you change something too much in the eventual tweaking, you may need to remake the cables. (Ask me how I know, actually, …never mind).

I’m about ready to reassemble my Primo, maybe I’ll do the end stop mod you have done. Can you share the .stl files?

Mike

You are a fortunate human. My hands are too big or the wire is too small.

For the end stops, I just super glued them to the physical end stop in the build files.

If I don’t connect to the Z axis, how should I manage the stepper cable and power cable for the router, thanks

I thin that the biggest hurdle is what happens from here. As mentioned, I have a 3D printer business, but this cnc process seems much more involved for some reason. Seems like I have to run too many apps to connect and send the files. I’m also a Mac guy and the windows apps are terribly inconsistent.

During the build I did encounter some issues with cabling and where to pull what from.

1 Like

You can see it here: MPCNC Primo Schneewittchen - Oldenburg, Germany - #153 by Tokoloshe

It is fastened to the core clamps and then holds up the cables close to Z without being attached there. Here are all the parts you’d need: MPCNC Primo Schneewittchen - Oldenburg, Germany - #145 by Tokoloshe.

Greatly appreciated.

1 Like

I made a video on how I do dupont. There are several good tips in this thread too:

I have dupont, jst, and some knock off molex connectors and two crimpers work with those three. It can be a pain. Especially if you have a wire that’s too big or are missing a key part.

I don’t judge you for buying the solution. Spend your time where you want to. But being able to make custom cables like that really adds a super power to your workshop. I definitely struggled for a while before it clicked for me.

1 Like

nah, I am just a big ogre that has adapted to do many things that my bear paws should not allow me, LOL