New MK4 is out!

Ooh mine must be getting close then! Time to start hitting refresh again and again on the email!

1 Like

Just a friendly reminder: the order number is not a counter, but a timestamp. I guess nobody cares, but I have to remind myself, because otherwise I would be 20 000 kits after Tokoloshe here…

Epoch time? They can only have one order per second?!

1 Like

Ther is an open sourse slicer now ive used it its ok same as all the other slicers ive used

Yes, and you can see from the last five digits 17516 that @Tokoloshe ordered on 17 May 2016 so there are a few in line before they get to this year’s orders!!

1 Like

1,681,331,269 seconds would be
28,021,958.6 minutes, which would be
467,032.6433 hours, which would be
19,459.69347 days, which would be
53.27773709 years approximately, using 365.25 days per year

Subtracting from 2023 would put it at 1970, which is of course when the universe was created.

If we start from Jan 1, 1970 and count forward 19,459 days, it calculates to April 12, 2023, so that checks out.

0.69347 days is 16 hours and 38 minutes, or 4:38 pm, but the time zone is not obvious.

The forum post indicates April 12, 3:38 pm (at least when I’m viewing it) and it’s likely that I posted within a minute from placing the order. That would mean the time zone for the timestamp is Eastern US daylight time.

Now, armed with this information, I can … um … keep waiting?

2 Likes

In case anyone else wants to try. But without doing the math yourself:

There are 12 or 13 leap seconds in that time too, IIRC. GPS epoch time doesn’t have the fixes for leap seconds, in case you ever wonder why it is off by a dozen seconds or so.

3 Likes

v1engineering never disappoints! Now I’ve learned about EPOCH time - and I’ve ALSO learned that I’m not the only one being impatient and trying to decipher signs in the clouds to tell me when this wonderous new machine will arrive. There’s actually a spreadsheet being collectively worked on to keep track of shipping progress. I don’t think it’s good for any of us that I share it here…

Okay - okay, here it is: Prusa MK4 Order Numbers - Google Sheets

I ordered 20.43 CET. The latest confirmed shipping is from an order at 16:43. Between these two there are 32 confirmed orders. I DON’T think this is an extensive list, I think it’s crowd-made, so there might be many times as many orders waiting in line.

2 Likes

Totally what I thought…

2 Likes

Mine was 18:36, so nearly two hours after that and it has been shipped on Friday (though the tracking still (obviously) says that it’s just been given to DPD. It’s the weekend, after all.

There was a similar tracker for the steamdeck. I found it pretty accurate. The Internet is magic.

2 Likes

For anyone curious about what’s involved with assembling a MK4. There’s a few videos out there already, but consider skimming through Steve Peterson recent build live streams… Currently not indexed with timestamps :frowning:

Prusa MK4 Kit Build! (Part 1)

Prusa MK4 Kit Build! (Part 2)

Steve is regularly building various 3D printers, think he’s one of the Voron Trident Designers

Looks like we’ll see Steve and other Voron folks at Open Sauce next weekend.

3 Likes

You have to add your order manually, I think. At least I had to.

I’m not really decided on how much I want to see up front. On one hand, it would significantly decrease the time I’m going to spend figuring it out, on the other hand I’ll lose the chance to discover every small detail on my own. Which is kind of fun :innocent:

1 Like

I am not watching it. I just saw the two timestamps and was like… 9 hours… where do I steal those…

1 Like

Well, just checked and my order was on the 11th of may, so i still have to wait for the 7th august before I even look like mine is going to ship.

I watched a review of the MK4 by Thomas Sanladerer and he said he would not buy it. (he had some good reasons, lack of input shaping etc)
(like i discussed earlier I love the fact his is supplying upgrade kits for the MK3 to bring it up too the MK4 (or 3.9 in my case) ) but the orders we are seeing for the units and kits is telling a different story. So either way am sitting here on the edge of my seat waiting for you guys to tell me how good it is!

He also said because he has it it will become his go to printer - just like his Mk3 is, and he did talk about build quality and reliability as a reason for buying it.

Tom is very good at using our cognative dissonance to his advantage - providing conflicting bits of information so that we just pick up what we want to hear, agree with him, and watch the next episode because he is so insightful!

Was it this clip or another one where he indicated that he didn’t say something negative about a (non Prusa) printer because of the aggressive fan base? Made me wonder why I bother with any of these “reviews”, I only hear what I want to hear anyway! :wink:

In the end, my reasons for getting a Mk4 remain - it will no doubt be entirely out of date within two years (perhaps less), but I expect two trouble free years before then!

1 Like

Its interesting isnt it?
I saw “review of reviewers” and it was super interesting. Basically they were saying that the praise and pick on the item and it seems like a review, but really they give no opinion. I wise i could find it again to like to. I know at the end he says he would not buy it, but like you said, then then says "as i got it it will be my daily driver.
You are so right about the cognitive dissonance, that in its self is a super interesting read on how its used in most forms of advertising.

It still come down to this for me “how much to you want / like to tinker vs how much to you want to just print” they will all do the job, some take lots of work and others not so much. Either way you are out there creating something from your imagination and doing something. same place in the end!

1 Like

Let’s hope nothing is broken. :sweat_smile:

/Edit: All good.

5 Likes

Oh wow, the pdp stickers sure did not look good, nor that corner!