New discourse forum, Questions, comments, and concerns

I was asking, “which part are you talking about?”. I think you’re asking about the actual posts and replies?

Sorry, my english isn’t all that great. I mean the user interface you see when you click on a thread and read the discussion. So, yeah, the actual post and replies.
Anyway, it’s not super important. Much less in my opinion than the pictures issue.

1 Like

I just tried the dark theme, thanks to Heffe’s suggestion and it is indeed much better on my screen!

The more I use this new version and the more I get to appreciate it:
-It’s so much faster than the previous one, at least for me
-The previews are awesome while creating a new message, especially when dealing with quotes
-It’s more dynamic, the alert system is much better
-I can finally see the emoticons! :wink: :partying_face:

I think that is just how the conversion went since they were all piled at the bottom. You can put pictures anywhere you want in a post with Discourse.

I really appreciate all the work that @vicious1 has done in spinning up the new platform. Discourse is so powerful. I know I will be able to participate so much more. I’m familiar with this platform and really like it.

The badges and trust levels are so helpful for building community and participation.

How does one do this?

Click on your avatar, then the gear. Then there are two drop downs. One should say preferences. Change the other to interface. Then you should see an option for theme.

2 Likes

Hi @vicious1 and the rest of the people here. Thanks for the new forum engine.
Is there a way to earn that “Certified” badge although I’m not that new user anymore? And for the “Reader” badge I seem to be too fast with reading… :sleepy:

Certified and licensed both are available by sending a PM to @discobot, “@discobot display help”
You will not be a new user for long, have a look at a few threads and I think that does it. Certified comes later if you want the badge it is in no way needed.

Good Idea, let me see if I can figure that out.

This could not be fix unfortunately. All the pics came over and should all be properly cropped now but the attachment plugin we were using did not allow for the placement transfer. Sorry.

P.S. keeping the reply window open as you navigate around and collect quotes is my favorite part!!! No more losing replies when looking at a picture again.

4 Likes

I really really like the new forum! I have to unlearn a few muscle memories and forum navigation habits, but I’m 100% sure that the new platform is worth the confusion.

One thing - when I click on “Forum” from main page, I’m taken to forum.v1engineering.com/forum, which gives this: Oops! That page doesn’t exist or is private.

3 Likes

I do worry a little about gamification of forum functionality. I understand trying to drive more engagement, but I also see random posts/edits/crapola that’s not technically against the ToS, but are made solely for gamification reasons.

On an unrelated note, it’s a bit of an annoyance that I’m blocked on my Licenced Badge Quest/Advanced Tutorial because I haven’t gained the “Create Poll” perk, yet. I guess I have to grind for a while before I level up enough… :japanese_goblin:

edit: Ah! @discobot just told me how to skip a step… Yay! :man_dancing:t2:

1 Like

That should be fixed now. I have the menu link and the icon link changed.

1 Like

I think after the initial push, it will not be so bad. Once you have most of them the rest are out of your hands other than being a more frequent user. Even the Trust levels are not a permanent thing you can go up and down depending on participation. I have the option to turn them both off but they seem to be driving to a better overall experience, kind of a guideline, give more likes, post interesting stuff, etc. As some people rise higher they can do the things I do not like doing like move posts.

2 Likes

Flagged! JK

1 Like

Better?

I see a bunch of people just made it to trust level 2, Kinda cool. I hope that number keeps going!

1 Like

Yeah it’s better I think, thanks!
But actually I prefer the dark theme now that I tried it for a few days, so I’ll switch back to it, :wink:

1 Like

No worries, it is subtle but you are right, better. I wanted to do a low key logo pattern but it takes too much work.

1 Like

Can’t tell you how happy I am with the new forum. I am now able to efficiently and quickly review old posts. I am learning so much now. Just so amazing all the good info that everyone has contributed. And I really haven’t even broken into the posts on projects.

3 Likes

At first I was somehow confused by the new forum/design but now I love it and enjoy discovering new features every day. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I was just uploading some images and I noticed something.

When I upload this image, which is landscape, it puts this in the post:

![IMG_20191128_085244|666x500](upload:blahblah)

The `666x500’ is setting the widthxheight. My portait photos come in as 375x500. It looks like the server is trying to set the height to 500 always.

But, the 666 width is being reduced by something else, and so it’s getting squished. This squishing isn’t respecting the aspect ratio.

It seems like it would be better if this script either only scaled the width to 500 and computed the height from that, or kept the largest dimension at 500 and then calculated the other dimension.

I ended up changing the numbers to 500x375, and I get this:

2 Likes

Oh wait. They look the same in the post… they looked different in the preview… n/m…

2 Likes