New discourse forum, Questions, comments, and concerns

I can change that top most bar to put it in the discourse hamburger in the latest section, or about section. I might do that because I keep hitting the big logo and getting kicked out, and…to many menus. I have even more on the admin side.

1 Like

Happy to see this. Page response is better than the old staging, navigation is fluid and presentation is pleasing. Is this the same software (or similar) to what is used on the Octoprint site. I like the changes you have made.

2 Likes

I just found that if you are on the desktop, in the unread or new sections, there is a “Dismiss…” button to clear out the unread or new lists.

1 Like

Thanks, kind of a rough weekend but I think it is worth it. Speed was iffy this morning but I think the images are still being processed in the background. I would not mind a bit faster.

The forum link on the main site goes to a page that doesn’t exist.

1 Like

From the menu bar? I changed it

Oh the image one, Thanks, Fixed!

That fixed it!

1 Like

While we are on the subject of links, forums links to v1engineering.com. I would make it point to here.

shoot, thanks

1 Like

Ahhhhh, not working, crap.

1 Like

Got it!

1 Like

I have seen other forums use various levels of badges or other requirements before a user can PM or post in a classified section.

1 Like

This seems like an upgrade. I am still getting the lay of the online land. You generally have a thankless job, so … thank you.

3 Likes

Well thank you for being a part of it all!

You need to be a higher trust level to PM here, but I only allow homemade MPCNCs to be sold here so I welcome any user to post in there. You legally are not allowed to sell my printed parts unless you bought them from me so Ebay/mercado can ban you. So I let it happen here.

1 Like

Didn’t take long to get used to the new layout and I like it a lot better. It’s much smoother at tracking read/unread posts and directing straight to the new stuff. I haven’t tried .png files yet but I am expecting I won’t have to convert everything to .jpg anymore.

So yeah, thank you for all the work that went into this.

2 Likes

Lots of options in your profile as well.

Glad ya’ll like it. It has honestly gone smoother than expected so far.

I think I am going to change the default for replying to a thread to Watching so it is more like the old ones, but if you don’t like that you have the option to change it yourself. I think it will help people that are not using forums often to get the desired result.

Good job on the new forum, that was surely a lot of work.

I see a few issues though, so far.
-The biggest one is the pictures. They all get to the end of the posts, even when they werre originally put in the middle. This is really unconvenient when doing how to, tutorials or just describing our builds. Hope that this is just a temporary bug.

-The pictures that have the portrait orientation don’t display well, they are cropped.

-I’m not a really big fan of the display template. Sure it looks clean and pretty, but it is much harder to read in my opinion. Maybe find a way to add a bit more contrast, maybe a bit darker? I don’t know if its only me, but it takes more effort to read and not be distracted.

Still need to play a bit more with all the stuff, I think it will be better than the old forum, but the picture thing is really a concern for me.

2 Likes

Which part is the “display template”?

I’m not really sure, that’s kind of hard to say specifically what I think makes it hard to read. I’d say it might be better to add a slight color difference betwenn backgroud, each post background and citations background.
There’s a very slight color difference between those last two, but it could be a bit more contrasted. That being said it does seem to depend a bit of the screen, I tried on my other one and it was slightly better.