My own take on the spirit of the MPCNC

Some news for those that would like to build this guy! I have almost completed the build manual!

I have been working hard on getting it together and making final tweaks to parts. Feel free to give it a read and let me know what you think!

12 Likes

This is amazing! Makes me wonder if I should build the lr3 when the workspace at our cabin is up and running, and keep a brutus at home, in my ā€œsulking-shedā€.

3 Likes

Man, you sure do love your inserts. :smiley: I am not sure if Iā€™d trust them, but I have never worked with them before. Besides my probably irrational distrust of those inserts I really, really like the build.

1 Like

I agree with Philipp, you did a wonderful job.
My only objection concerns the inserts. I would have preferred the location to house the normal nuts.
Thanks for sharing your project which still seems great to me.

1 Like

Your machine looks awesome and it looks like you have done a ton of work.

I was a bit disappointed that I didnā€™t see more credit to Ryan in your manual. Afterall you are using the same bearing/tube roller design, you are pointing people to his milling basics and using his forum as a pass through for people to contact you.

I guess I just cringe a bit over the ethics of this but as long as Ryan is ok with it Iā€™ll keep my mouth shut. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Brute71 has been asking my permission for things this whole time and I have been encouraging him to release this monster. So all good with me for sure. I do appreciate you looking out for us though!

13 Likes

Trust me when I say those inserts are not coming out without breaking stuff, they completely fuse the material around them when they are put in. Inserts also offered me some design flexibility in certain areas that using backing nuts wouldnā€™t allow and allowed me to cut down on some bolt sizing options. I also really wanted to play with them in a more functional and stressed capacity so I rolled that in with my mission for this machine :joy:

As Ryan said, I have been asking permission for things and have had him check things to make sure he was okay with it, starting from the idea of posting the files to checking he was ok with the manual. Without that and Ryanā€™s encouragement, Brutus would have just stayed my personal shop experiment.

14 Likes

I mean, technically Brutus is known for stabbing Caesar in the back. I quote: ā€œEt tu, Brute71?ā€ :smiley:

2 Likes

Haha, donā€™t stirr up any drama, now that all is settled and friendly! :grinning:

2 Likes

Just wanted to show how smart and witty I am. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I mean the name was picked for how it sounded and was close to my usual user name, not so much for a Shakespearian scenario :laughing:

4 Likes

Dropping references to greek and roman history is always a win in such terms! Iā€™ve played the video game Hades recently, which have improved my knowledge of greek mythology, which I often make sure to reveal :wink:

2 Likes

Hey I got a question. Just taking a look at the manual and Iā€™m curious if thereā€™s a purpose to running 2 motors on the X axis :sweat_smile: first time seeing it done like that so definitely curious. Do you need both or could you use 1 if you only had 4 motors to work with :no_mouth:

1 Like

something like this, it helps it to run true, I do not think this application can tram with only one motor.

Please look at the mpcnc, it is very similar, it would bind with the second motor!

1 Like

You need both for the combined torque and so you can stick with an inexpensive control board, the X axis doesnā€™t need two for tramming (thatā€™s why the dual X endstops get edited out in the FW). With light engraving work, could probably get away with one but two is definitely recommended for milling.

1 Like

X is left to Right. You have two steppers driving that one. I was wondering why myself.

4 Likes

I thought about this. I assumed it was for the combined power. If you go to Nema 23s for more power you are going to need external drivers. By doing this way you get the extra driving power with TMC drivers.

2 Likes

Thanks for explaining. Iā€™ve been planning on building a mill for hobby use and havenā€™t decided on which one yet. basically have all the electronics and bearings. Board is an skr pro (also have a ramps set aside). Iā€™d probably be doing light engraving but definitely prefer more poweršŸ˜ better too much than too little

1 Like

Hard choice there! Ryans machines are quite awesome.

1 Like

I think I have hammered on it enough in wood for now, did one last CNC Race run after going to a slightly higher torque Z motor. Now to play in some aluminum and get a good feel for the machine.

100mm/s feed and 500mm/s^2 accel on X and Y.

5 Likes