My own take on the spirit of the MPCNC

Well, some sharp spinning things showed up! Really gotta get some storage going for the cnc specific stuff.

3 Likes

Holy crap.

First I love this… design looks really good. Are you planning on milling aluminum? If you do please post a video!

I watched your videos. Maybe I am just a chicken but man your feed rates looked WAY fast for that depth of cut… I move that fast on my MPCNC but cutting a few mm not 2 dozen mm!!! Others can chime in here, maybe I am being too cautious…

A CNC bit holder was one of the first things my CNC made… love it…

I really like the simplicity of your design.

On the topic of your controller… I spent a lot of time with a RAMPS board and eventually bought an SKR Pro board with the TMC2209 drivers and I am NEVER going back… The board is really nice and the drivers are rock solid, smooth and quiet. Just my two cents worth.

2 Likes

Aluminum is the plan! I wound up just going with the archim2 since it is drop in for wiring and my enclosure, makes my life simpler haha.

Depending on your spindle, machine size, and end mill quality you probably can push it faster. Check out the cnc racing thread here, even the LR guys with big swings are moving some wood dust around!

4 Likes

Unless you have a 4 foot side, you are being too cautious.

1 Like

If only you had some sort of machine to make precision cuts for cabinetry… :rofl:

6 Likes

Hey now, haven’t had it long enough to remember I can do such things with it :rofl:

6 Likes

So can thos those files be shared? Thats a heck of a build there!

3 Likes

Still working on little tweaks and want to get some testing done before I release them. Also still need to put a BOM together and some form of instructions just to make it easier to put together (was easy for me, but I also designed it XD)

4 Likes

Figured since I was waiting on some stuff in the mail, id get started on the BOM and instruction stuff.

3 Likes

A little taste of the instruction manual images, my first one so hopefully it will get the job done for you guys!

5 Likes

Super impressive, what are you using for that?

1 Like

For the instructions I am just using fusion 360 and exploding certain parts then taking a screen shot. Will import those pictures in to something else to add annotations and such

2 Likes

Got some parts in just in time for the weekend!

3 Likes

I used to do exploded diagrams. Edits were too hard, a new picture was a bit easier, and for some reason caused less questions. I might have to try it again though. They look so good!

4 Likes

Alrighty, the Archim2 has found its new home as well has the 24v psu! Going to finish up the wiring and run some tests soon enough!

2 Likes

Got it all together, firmware loaded, reloaded to change the wheel directions only to still have them be wrong some how XD, and ran the gcode from my last cnc race run in the air. Knocked 30 seconds of time off the same gcode! Tomorrow it will be time to see how hard I can push this guy.

2 Likes

Ran a couple more CNC race tests, down to 40 sec using F360, figured I better start learning it if it is what I will be mainly using lol. I am starting to hit the point the Z is losing steps, could be speed related but it looks more like it is just getting pulled in to the work, I rechecked the Z after the last test with the tool height setter, was about .006" lower than start. Also Found a home for the cnc specific stuff closer to the cnc!

1 Like

Gotta knock off two more seconds!

1 Like

If I can get estlcam to behave again posting the gcode (just sends the spindle in large circles), can probably manage that, otherwise I’ll just straight plunge the mill in to shave those 2 seconds off lol

Newest fixture plate has come in! Need to put some mounting holes in it then I can rock it on the cnc!

1 Like