My own take on the spirit of the MPCNC

So I’ve changed the ramps with an SKR 1.4 turbo and it got even worse, today I will try a 24 v power supply

I’ve just switched to a 24v power supply and I have the same problem, also I had to lower the steps/mm to 161.1 to have the right amount of travel both on x and y axis, is it normal?

And since I tought it was a current problem I’ve shortened the cables and cranked up the current on the drivers (tmc 2209) al the way to 2200 but nothing changed… At this point I need to try and swap the motors

Is it possible you have 20tooth pulleys? The 160T is about right for 20T and you would have 25% less torque than with 16T

1 Like

Yes I’ve just checked and I’ve got 20tooth pulleys.

1 Like

I highly suggest going to 16T pulleys and non steel reinforced belts

I’ve updated the machine with 16t pulleys and thing are getting better but it seems still to easy to skip steps. I will have to do a few tests. Has anybody else got a video of theyr machine skipping steps?

My lowrider was once skipping steps because I daisy chained a few connectors together on the x axis. The connection was butted up against each either properly and taped but when they section bent, the connection wasn’t as strong leading to less power to the servo and skipped steps. Stripped the ends, soldered them together and fixed the issue.

I’m not saying I think this is what’s wrong with yours, I haven’t watched the videos; but something to check. Along with the grub screws again😁

Hope you get it figured out.

Ive had issues with belt tension, they loosened over time, I tightened them up and they started missing steps so I backed them off again.

All my previous LR builds had issues with torque, I sourced all my materials from AliExpress and I ran Ramps boards.

This time around I had all my parts supplied from the V1 store and the difference in torque, speed and amount of issues was night and day…

I would recommend splashing out on verified V1 supplied parts, at the end of the day I think you will have fewer issues.

4 Likes

Just had a similar issue with the X-Axis today, the belt pulleys were overtightened

It could be a similar issue?

Finally got around to testing the brace for myself more thoroughly (had 2 parts to reprint due to cracking, PC doesnt seem to like tension over long periods much). It did help out a lot, not perfect but much improved, handled a lot of tool stick out very well (used a .25" dia 3/4" loc, was needed for the way I machined the cap that is 20mm wide). Even got to experiment with curved/sloped surfaces with a ball mill.

I think the only way however to really maximize what we are working with is a gantry core redesign with a different way to tension the bearings and go for the larger diameter tube on the upper and lower parts of the X axis to minimize its flex under heavier loads. Maybe adopt the smaller nema 23’s as well (.7~1nm should stay within the amperage limits of our current drivers).

A second idea I am having is letting the Brutus machine parts for a bench top sized cnc (like 16"x10"work area) that uses ball screws and the 800w spindle for a small yet precise machine (+/- .001", currently has been reliably +/- .005" or less first run, some tweaking brings it down if I need it) that I dont need to redo the tramming on the fixture plate every time I remove it to work with larger stock (oh woe is me, I know :joy:).

6 Likes

Dane,
How’s that dust shoe (tube) working? Know of a way to make it independent of the z-axis?

If by independent you mean that is slowly slides down once the spindle starts getting warm then yes. :grin:

I think the best way to make it independent is to adapt a idea that Onefinity uses with their backplates: Onefinity Back Plate and incorporate a slot into the rail mounts. I haven’t had a chance to model that idea yet, but maybe @Brute71 can have a look if he has a spare moment? An M6 or 1/4" tnut in a rebate at the back of the slot would be good, but printing that might be interesting.

That would give mount options for a few different designs of collection boot.

1 Like

I agree. I’ve been trying to think about this by just using what Alex has already designed. I’m now thinking of designing some holder for 1 or 2 liner bearings that would attach to the spindle (or in my case the Makita) holder (using the M5 and lock nuts to hold the holder - will need longer M5s), and then have a rod going down these bearings to hold the dust shoe (and with a handle to pull it up or push it down against the work surface) . This would put the dust show and hose attachment right in front.

Boy I wished I had more time to really learn Fusion 360 or some other CAD software so it didn’t take me a long time to design up these concepts. That’s part of living…to learn :wink:

Well, my design work still needs improvement. I do like what I came up with for an independent Z dust shoe for the Brutus. I hope @Brute71 is doing well.

@Mattman Has something happened to @Brute71? Or was that just general well wishes? I’m just finishing up a Brutus Build myself.

Still alive and kicking! Just have been enjoying the summer with riding and other projects!

5 Likes

Glad to hear it mate, incredibly jealous of that view.

I’m sorry. I didn’t intend to make it sound like anything was wrong or anyone was ill. It was just general well wishes. I hadn’t seen any posts by Alex in a while. I’m glad to see that he is around and enjoying life. We all can use some enjoyment these days. :wink:

2 Likes

Ran the Brutus through its longest op yet with the longest end mill I have used in it with a sprinkle of full flute engagement for the finish passes. Took a little under 90 min to turn a lump of aluminum in to the 4 parts to mount some new lights to my KLR. Used a YG1 1/4" end mill with 1 1/4" loc, used 25mm of that loc on the finish passes. YG1 may have just taken my top spot for favorite aluminum end mills.

This fall/winter I will work out some kind of mount you guys can work with for dust shoes and actually finish the instructions for the brace install. From there I will be focusing on a bench top cnc for my smaller part needs.

5 Likes