My biggest commitment so far

My Lowrider build was sized basically on what was the biggest gantry size I could fit on the laser cutter I have access to. So that gave me something that could almost fit a full 8x4 sheet.

And my fist attempt at a table was similarly nearly good enough.

But I’ve bit the bullet and just came back from the local bigbox store with 2 sheets of 3/4 MDF, cut so it would fit in the car. I’m making Doug’s full sheet torsion box table. This is the biggest longest project so far so and for the long end pieces I’m going to have to flip the sheet on the x axis to fit it all in.

So far so good though. Material looks squared ok and the 2 flute 1/8 down cut but from Ryan is working fine at 3mm DoC 24mm/s with a .5mm allowance for a 6mm finishing pass. The dust collector and skirt is also doing good well. That’s it mid cut, just starting the finishing pass on the first piece. Fingers crossed, there’s a long way to go!

Edit: this is the design I’m using - credit to Doug

10 Likes

Finished the first cut, flipped and cutting the matching end. Not perfect alignment but hopefully close enough and within what a surfacing pass can compensate for.

2 Likes

There is a way to do it with dowel holes that helps you line it up perfectly each time. I have never done it but hopefully someone who has will come along and give the needed info

3 Likes

Once this full sheet table is done I won’t have to worry about it again :grin:

I think it’s usable

5 Likes

I have done it for my strut plates, cut them in the Primo, worked brilliantly.

2 Likes

Well share the good word with this nice man. Gotta give the details LOL

1 Like

He’s already done. :smile:

1 Like

Looking great! Thanks for sharing details and pics!!

Huh, totally missed that one. The sheet layouts have 5 Y spars, but the design only uses 4.

I had a quick look in the DXF 49x97-in cuttable area, 6.000-in tall torsion box file and it looks like you’ve repeated the same layout 3 times - 2 of 3 and 3 of 3 are repeats. At least for the pdfs.

Anyway, The 7 x X Ribs are going now so hopefully that’ll go okay.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on sealing with polyurethane or similar before assembly? Maybe mask off the bits to be glued?

1 Like

Ah the highs and lows.

X ribs all done and the finish looks good.

Did a quick dry fit and credit to doug - the tolerances are good, not too loose and not too tight.

Poor lonely little extra Y spar :frowning:
So I laid the other sheet I bought on top to get a feel for how it’ll look and… hmm… I dont like this

I just assumed the outermost Y spars would be along the edge of the top surface but no, there’re a full 3/4 wider so at best only half sits on top. .

I’m a bit disappointed. I’ll sleep on it but right now I’m inclined to make the X ribs again so a full sheet sits square on top of the outer Y spars. Ah well.

1 Like

That would annoy me as well. :sweat_smile:

At least it’s parametric so remaking them is easy enough. Silly mistake on my behalf. And wasteful.

But as the Buddha tells us:
All life is suffering, and suffering is caused by not RTFM you n00b!

So sorry! I will try to find mistakes and fix them!

It was supposed to… is that sheet 49” wide??

So sorry. Will recheck the files and try to find any errors!

I worked so hard to try to be a help, but it’s so easy to make mistakes. I guess I need someone to check the files to see if they are right, before I post them. So sorry.

Doug, don’t worry. You are sharing hours and hours of your work for free, he also never blamed you, maybe he put the wrong values in the calculator? :slight_smile:

1 Like

The standard width of sheet material in my part of the world is 48 inches. The mistake is mine for not checking before cutting, not yours Doug.

1 Like

Ah, got it. Well, at least you solved that one. I still need to check those files that seem to be duplicates!

2nd attempt

IMG_2360

Yes I already know the far right one will be off the end of the material. :frowning: