My biggest commitment so far

Bit more done today. Nobody replied about sealing the faces before assembly but I went ahead and rolled on one coat, as much to darken the material as anything else.

IMG_2362

As you can see from the in progress picture I added holes in the X ribs along both sides in the event I ever want to run cables inside. I also changed the spacing to make use of that extra Y spar! Don’t know what I’ll 7 with the 7 spare x ribs but I’ll keep them around, something might suggest itself.

The balance of the second sheet I’m using for legs. This is a first pass at them so they might be too light.

IMG_2361

I should add I’d like to make this be a tilting table - I have the height to store it vertically. If that happens I’ll have 2 rows of 3 legs when it comes down from vertical. I’m thinking of making it hinge using the same 25mm conduit as the pivot anchored at each of the 5 Y spar joints. We’ll see.

2 Likes

Awesome and cool!

Anyone see the problem? I didn’t. :weary:

I’ll finish and glue up the legs first, remediation later.

I’m going to keep going. I think it adds balance, pivoting on the fulcrum of competence you have biting midge at one end and me on the other.

Ooh I’m definitely having a day…
IMG_2368

Looks like time for sportsball and beer…

I’m pretty sure it’s a merry-go-round. One day you think you are coming last and then you look around and realise that everyone is actually following YOU! :wink:

Keep up the great work!

2 Likes

Alright, since I took the photos;

When I changed the file Doug kindly shared to make it 5 Y spars instead of 4 I failed at the basic observation of the fact that while there was indeed a spar up the middle the sides were not symmetrical, go back and look again in case you missed it like I did but there’s a slot missing on one side.

Since they’re already split up and out of the sheet there’s no point looking at the layout file. The solution I came up with was this. And I’ll caveat this by saying right now that no one should take this as advice on what to do, I am not a reliable source as this project has shown.

So I’m not saying this is a good idea, but it’s what I did.

I took some of the foamcore I use as spoil and attached it to the bed.

Then I loaded up the corrected dxf in estlcam and at the end that needed the extra slot made a partial ‘part’ toolpath. Included in the geometry of this was one of the slots and the round cutout.

When this is cut out of the foam it makes a jig to hold the x ribs.

Now using the same dxf in estlcam the jig toolpath is removed the another is created that is only the slot that needs removed.
This should be a hole or engrave on the inside of the slot. If you leave it as ‘part’ the slot will be oversized. Guess how I know.

When it came to the 2 end pieces that don’t have the hole I removed that part of the jig.

You can see in that last picture the difference between a cheap spiral cut bit and the 2 flute down cut bit Ryan sells. Which I no longer have… in one piece.

So that bodge kind of worked okay. The finish wasn’t great and I had to clean up both sides but it seemed to be workable.

That’s where the good news ends I’m afraid. You’ll notice there’s no mating half of the legs. Despite doing a full scratch pass first to check for clearances I left it running to get the kids dressed and when I came back one side of the gantry must have got caught or a cable snagged because it had wandered off course and destroyed the remaining half of the sheet. Foolish of me to leave it, it wasn’t for long but long enough.

To cap it off, literally, I tried dry fit of the 5 ribs. I’m guessing the roller coat of polyeurathne either added friction, or even swelling as it was absorbed, or maybe I was putting too much torsional load on them but in any event when I tried to dry fit the pieces cracked and split, both as I tried to slot them together and while taking them apart.

Which is to say I’m throwing in the towel on this one. I’ve made more expensive mistakes than 2 sheets of MDF and a cutting bit but the mounting debit of errors means completing this is beyond me. It’s not fun butting against the limit of your capabilities but it is what it is. I would have liked to finish with something for the gallery but not today.

I’ll order a new Down cut bit and look at something less ambitious next time.

1 Like

So sorry. :disappointed:

You aren’t alone - but that is not to say that the problem can’t be fixed!

Take a deep breath and a break, and if you want to take a full stock of the damage, or even assemble what you can, I’m sure most of it will be fine. Torsion tops are amazingly forgiving things - the cracks won’t mean anything once the skins are on as long as you can keep the tops and bottoms of the beams straight.

Don’t break any more, grab a file or rasp and widen the remaining gaps a bit- they don’t even have to be a particularly nice fit.

I’m happy to guide you through joint by joint if you want to try to salvage it.

2 Likes

Apart from that being really nice you are just looking for reasons to delay the crown a bit further, are you? :stuck_out_tongue:

There is that, but I do feel the pain here - I have done that so often that it hurts to read about it even.

The other cool thing about torsion tops is that all those bits will be invisible too!

2 Likes