MP3DP V4 Build

I just built a second cable and triple checked it with my meter before hooking it up. I still cant get it. I have a U2C here and I think I’m going to try it that way but now I pretty much have to start over it seems the octopus is set up to be the can bridge currently. Man all this mess has me wanting to pull my hair out lol. it should NOT be this hard!

I attached the log to see if you see anything I might be missing.

klippy (2).zip (22.8 KB)

I got klipper flashed to the ebb36 but had to do it over usb using make flash. I should have been able to do it over can but I have to have the uuid to do that and I never could get it. doesn’t make any sense why i can flash a boot loader and firmware but I cant get a uuid from it.

Come to find out the problem wasnt with the ebb36 after all. I hooked it up to a U2C and had just it hooked to the Pi and I got a uuid from it. So its communicating. Tried to start over and reflash everything on the octopus and I think its bricked. Keep getting this error…

I am thinking there is a way to reflash the stock bootloader and fix it but I haven’t been successful with that yet. The first guide I followed had me use STM32 to flash the canboot and I think that’s where things went wrong. The more I look around since then no other guide mentions using that. But I have come across mentions of being able to use it to fix a bricked board but no one explaining how lol.

Well I finally got it moving today!!! And with Canbus to the toolhead!!! Wasn’t the way I set out to do it but I did get it done lol.

I’m pretty sure I bricked the Octopus board. But I do believe there is a way to fix it I just didn’t have the patients to go down that road right now. Leave that for another day lol.

What I ended up doing was going back to the SKR Pro 1.2 and using a U2C. And that worked great! Its amazing how much stuff you can hook up on this little board and run over just 4 wires!

Now I need to put some plastic though it and do some tuning and get it actually printing again!

So what’s the verdict?

Was it worth the trouble? How much did the CAN actually save you wiring-wise?

Do you have before and after pictures?

Asking for a friend… :wink:

Congrats @Jonathjon! Shame about your Octopus board. Worth the PITA to setup?

Some MP3DP wiring examples, mostly not CAN based…

I went from a total of 22(ish) wires going to the toolhead down to 4 so I would say its worth it. Plus as much as it aggravates me sometimes I do enjoy learning. Can is a PITA though because there is no good info out there. And the guys that know it don’t like to tell you lol. They want to give real short simple answers like you already know. I did end up finding what I think would be a really good guide but I had already followed a bad guide by that point and messed up the octopus. It would have been nice to have that and not needed the U2C along with it.

Once I see how it goes printing with it we will see if I will update any other printers to it. I’m suspecting that I will.

Also one thing that tripped me up is CanBoot is not called CanBoot anymore, its now katapult. So that changes a few name things and can mess up the install

HAHAHA Not gonna happen at this point. My wiring is a wreck!

Crap. Curious which guide(s) you recommend avoiding, and/or using? I want to update my shared notes to not cause unnecessary suffering.

The EBB36 sure has a lot going on.

fwiw ended up buying but not needing a U2C too, missed the return window. So, the U2C’s just sitting in some container as evidence of poor planning.

1 Like

I tried to upload the one I think is good but the file is too large. I got it from a facebook group I joined yesterday. “BIGTREETECH (BTT) Octopus Owners Group”

The one I originally followed that led me to brick the board was this word document. I dont have the link anymore. Tried to upload it but its too large.

I bought one planning to go CAN with my Ender 5 Plus Mercury One.1 upgrade. But since I melted the V4 down last time home I figured I would get my feet wet with it first LOL. Now I need to pick up another U2C for the Merc. Also will probably go ahead and order 2 so I’ll have one for the Ender 5 Pro as well LOL

Cheers for the name, requested to join…

Will upload to v1engineering-mods/mp3dp-v4 at main · aaronse/v1engineering-mods · GitHub if someone shares or I locate. Spent way too much trying to figure out right docs to follow during initial setup. Agree with Jonathan, seems like sunny path to success should be more straight forward.

1 Like

Awesome. I got in quickly after answering the questions. There is a file section with several different guides for different things.

@azab2c or any of you other github gooroos. There is a way to have your klipper files automatically back up to github but I couldn’t figure out how to make it do it. Any of y’all have any success with this or know of a good guide for dummies?

Yeah, there’s several auto klipper printer.cfg backup scripts out there. Looked into, but never got around to implementing.

Klipper Backup Script - General Discussion - Klipper shared by an active Klipper forum member looks promising. Looks like script uses inotify-tools and handle file change notifications/events. That’s more efficient than some of the alternative solutions out there that periodically check for changes. Am not Linux literate enough to know if inotify-tools is good/bad option?

Curious if someone’s doing something similar/easier that they’re happy with?

Edit: ChatGPT4 says inotify-tools is commonly used for this type of file change observation scenario.

1 Like

I’m going to check it out here soon. I always end up screwing something up and never have a good back up. Trying to be a little proactive LOL

@azab2c have you gotten input shaper to work with the ebb36? I tried following the klipper docs and after trying to install the numpy stuff it never would work. Then tried following some other post to get it to work and now I’m reflashing the Pi lol.

Nope. Think @probrwr did and is/was happy with the results?

Cool feature, planning to enable.

1 Like

I just watched and followed along with this video…

It was easy to do and works great. One thing though, there are 2 commands with web links that don’t show up all the way in the description. I was able to click and open in a new tab, then I copied the part of the command before the link and pasted into putty, then went back to chrome and copied the full link that opened and pasted it in putty. Worked great.

Cool, thanks for sharing where your printer.cfg is backed up.

1 Like

It was this one I was looking at