MP3DP v4 - Build in Progress

Much appreciated :pray:t2:

Looking good.

We have the same problem with aluminium shavings getting everywhere at work. I have our chop-saw sitting in a taped-up cardboard box with flaps cut for feeding material in and an arm hole to work the saw. It’s pretty janky, but it keeps everything surprisingly well contained! Might help in future.

Cutting oil also helps keeping chips in place, even when cutting stuff by hand, but with the downside that you’ve then got a problem with oily chips :slight_smile:

Edit: The colour on the printed parts looks awesome, too.

Hi, did you had some time?

Personally struggled with this for my MP3DP v4. Have been trying to document/share part counts in my build not covered by MP3DP v4 - V1 Engineering Documentation , has been tricky to track. Partly because am not experienced, but mostly because everyone’s printer seems to be uniquely built. e.g. Most seem to be built with Corner brackets, some (like Triscious and Mike) built using Blind Joints, I personally tried both.

Already seen the Mp3dp v4 bom topic? That helped me piece together an initial order list when getting started.

Am at the point where am ordering bolts/nuts by the hundred(s), and using bunch of containers to organize stuff, am hoping to build more projects over time to get through bolts/nuts/hardware that doesn’t end up being a family heirloom.

2 Likes

I’m way behind where I thought and hoped that I’d be at this point. Way too much going on between work, kids, and study.

I’ll second what Aza said. Look for bulk packs of about 100 and use those. I’ve done that with M3 x8mm and x10mm sizes along with M3 t-slot nuts. If using blind joints, get an M5 tap and a pack of M5 x 8mm screws. Get an assortment of various M4 screws also, in the 20-40mm range for the bed assembly. Possibly some m3 heat-set inserts if you’re getting fancy. M3, M4, and M5 locknuts can’t hurt either.

I’m working on a Primo once I’m finally done with this. Between that and other projects the bulk packs will be used. If you don’t have projects in mind going forward I can understand the hesitation in buying a ton of screws that you may not need.

1 Like

4 Likes

Those look like my bed mounts! Cool beans!

1 Like

Indeed!

Still a lot of work needed to get up and running. Too busy with work and kids to dedicate the time needed.

It worked in my favor though in that there’s now an ‘official’ Biqu mount!

Hoping to have progress within the next couple of weeks and possibly a working printer.

3 Likes

Have the Biqu mount installed and ran the belts last night. Hoping to have the physical construction roughly done by the end of the weekend so that I can move on to electronics.

Has anyone else used the Biqu mount? Having a hard time finding a cooling setup that doesnt conflict with the support rails.

Saw fan mounted to Mike’s BIQU carrier on his Build Topic… MP3DP V4 Build - SW Virginia - #168 by probrwr I still haven’t put one on mine yet.

I made one mentioned by @azab2c that Mike pointed me to. It can be found here..

1 Like

Sorry for the lack of updates on my end, I’ve had a lot going on my personal life that’s REALLY slowed my build down.

I was having trouble with the mounting brackets to use 2020 extrusion for the bed mount and decided to work on modeling some parts on my own.

Currently adding some finishing touches and doing some test prints to see how it all fits. I’m really into the color scheme I have with the red/blue filament against the silver extrusion, so trying to add more accents and such to play it up.

I hope that there’s no issue with using the V1 logo to add a pattern to these pieces.

1 Like

The goal with the axis brackets is to have the bed screws in the aluminum extrusion, set with a t-nut, then using a m4 nut/washer type combo to press against the to help secure and hold it in place. I’ll see how it works in execution once it’s all printed out.

1 Like

Heck no those look great!

1 Like

Thanks!

What was the problem? Yours do look great!

It was probably an error on my part, but the brackets had to flex slightly to go around the 2020, and I couldn’t get the bolt and nut to tighten enough to be snug without cracking the mount. I’d made spacers to fit against them which let me tighten sufficiently but had enough fun designing them that I decided to try making a new set to see if I could. It’s been a lot of fun.

Still working on mine, but no real progress to show. Lots of time spent trying to figure out the best way to mount this bed to the 2020 frame and worries that my blind joints wont hold.

Hoping to have more to share in the next couple or weeks.

Was joking with my partner that this project has turned into a ‘if you give a mouse a cookie’ scenario. I decided to use the 2020 in a t shape instead of the mdf bed platform, so I need to make new parts. To make the parts I need to learn a lot more about Fusion 360. Now I need to do heat-set inserts, but I dont have a tool to set them in at a good 90 degree angle. And so it goes.

For whatever it’s worth, becoming more proficient in Fusion has unlocked a whole new world of making things for my workshop and for others.

This has been a fun project. Thanks everyone. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m interested in your T shape 2020 attachment designs for the bed plaform since it is likely to be more of a long-term robust solution than my sort of “farmered” solution with a 2020 corner bracket on the under side holding the two T pieces together. A piece of 1/4" ply was attached to the 2020 T with t nuts with washers placed on the extrusion to avoid sagging and excessive bow because the end brackets jut above the top of the extrusion a little. A second 1/4" ply with wiring and sensor cutouts sits between the first ply and the bed that are bolted and nylocked together. It isn’t as clean or elegant of a solution as might be desired, so I’m looking for other options.