MP3DP v4 - Aza's build

LOL, I completely missed the “8” swirls on my print. My dumb luck/mistake, I must have used wrong print orientation, the “8” ended up on initial layer and wasn’t embossed enough for me to notice.

1 Like

Done!

Ended up grinding down stubborn grub screws. Grinded after failing to unscrew, my Allen/hex key deformed before being able to overcome medium strength threadlocker, friction fit and the mightily strong grub screws.

Edit: For Left Front Stepper Mount pulley, even with just one grub screw fastened, I still needed to grind down the sole grub screw so pulley could rotate freely. That was faster for me than trying to modify and reprint Left Front Stepper Mount to have wider pulley hole. Won’t be able to tighten/remove/adjust grub screw now, will need to cut pulley if/when adjustments needed.

1 Like

Assembling Z Posts/Trucks

Thanks to info from misc MP3DP builders.

Parts :

• 24 x M3x10mm
    • 3 x 4 per Z Post to Linear Rail Carriage
    • 3 x 4 per Z Post to Stepper
  • 9 x M5x30mm
  • 9 x M5 nyloc nuts
  • 6 x smooth Idlers
  • 3 x 16T Pulleys
1 Like

Built Frame for 250x250, but 12"x12" plate might physically fit. Hotend won’t be able to fully reach entire bed. I still need to confirm wiring will still fit if plate oversized for the frame is used.

The excess Alu bed will have unnecessary unused bed area increasing weight, and sink heat from usable area that actually needs heat.

Even so, for the sake of getting end to end functionality working, will live with the excess weight/heatloss for now since it’ll avoid me having to cut Alu bed smaller in the short term.

1 Like

Bed Support Plate — Decide, Cut, Seal/Paint and Assemble

Thinking :

• MDF is recommended, but am using Ply left over from a Panel Cut I messed up (wrong dimension).
  • Modified my build’s Support Plate to be mostly square and oversized to help support/encapsulate insulation filled below Alu Bed. This could cause a fit and/or wire snagging issue, will find out in time…
  • Holes for zip ties to run wiring to back of printer.
  • Intentionally symmetrical, still hopeful that hot-end can be too, or at least close.
  • Maximizing plate size, incase Core XY gets XL’d and big headed later on (like Prusa XL).

Parts :

• 3 x M5x30mm
  • 6 x #10 Washers
  • ~7 zipties

Was tempted to reduce overall wiring length required by dropping through center of Bed Support Plate, with controller underneath the printer. Would need to figure out wiring protection, strain relief, maybe the zip ties would be enough? Decided to drop wiring out back of the plate. Hopefully route wiring within a drag chain…

Note holes for bed are missing. Reason is I don’t know where it’s going, waiting until hotend is assembled and I have better idea of usable XY that nozzle can reach.

4 Likes

Assemble X Axis and XY Blocks

Based on misc pics/notes, esp Dan’s notes.
Parts:

• 16 x M3x10mm. Optionally use 4 x 12mm instead for fastening XY block to X linear rail.
  • 4 x M5x30mm
  • 4 x M3 T-nuts (hammer head, not sliding)
  • 4 x M5 Nyloc nuts
  • 2 x Smooth Idler, and 2 x 20T Idler

Steps:

• Check X linear rail fit. Will have wiggle room since frame is loose and not squared up yet.
  • Mount Idlers to XY blocks.
  • Fasten Left|Right XY blocks to Y linear rails.
  • Fasten X carrier/core to X linear rail.
  • Fasten X linear rail to XY blocks.

3 Likes

This is what i did. I will post a picture on my thread this evening when i get home.

2 Likes

Decided to ensure am not ready til the last minute, by not scavenging my dual screen LR3 case as-is. My LR3 case would fit, but it’s too chonky, doesn’t look good. Going to burn time modding this mod and attempt to make something slimmer, will shove Octopus and everything else further back under the bed area into the extrusion/sheet-metal portion of the case.

Spool won’t fit in the back right corner as built for 250 Usable X, adding an extra 25mm would have worked. One option, without rebuilding would be to cut an opening into the interior panel. Leaving as-is for now, focused on getting wiring working…

2 Likes

The right side should have more room then the back or left. The bed is shifted a bit.

1 Like

Sheet metal enclosure box would be ideal, but I figure an extrusion one will be easier to assemble/tweak/mod…

2 Likes

Planning Power switch at the back of the electronics enclosure, somehow.

Bottom panel is temporary, it’s actually the back panel. Cutting bottom panel now that enclosure dimensions are known.

2 Likes

I am routing my on/off switch to the front panel. I don’t like having to reach around machines to turn them on.

Honestly, I usually have my 3d printer on a smart switch and use that to turn it on remotely, so I may never use the physical switch. I might need to rethink this.

1 Like

Interesting, could add front switch as well, probably soon… One benefit of putting the switch behind the electronics enclosure is that my arm/hand will dampen the fall of the hot bed.

1 Like

Belts not fitting easily, because I used wrong print orientation for Z Belt Holder. I should have read Repeat v2 topic more thoroughly, e.g.

3 Likes

Anyone already running Marlin on Octopus, within their MP3DP v4 ? Will try out Klipper, but not this week.

Found snapshot of V1E MP3DP v4 flavor of Marlin 2.1.1 515 source code. Downloaded/copied from Marlin Firmware - V1 Engineering Documentation

That firmware and source code Snapshot in initial commit was compiled for SKR Pro 1.2. Planning to submit edits in this repo to build on Octopus v1.1. Will diff and integrate V1E 515 Marlin edits to support Octopus used within my LR3.

Cheers!

1 Like

Stick with that release of the firmware for all your edits, right now the nighties are all messed up with bed leveling right now, for the past month or two. The Marlin team almost has it fixed.

1 Like

Anyone using relief cuts in their bottom panel? Accident sparked an idea… Thoughts?

Using LRS-50-5 instead of LRS-25-5 if I can make it fit.

Internal panels secured. Currently test fitting external panels, will peel and fasten properly at RMRRF

For your sanity’s sake, consider a micro rachet wrench…

2 Likes

Build plate parts, design, assembly

To attach Alu plate to bed support plate, am using the leveling bolts, springs and adjustment wheels that Ryan kindly sent me.

1 Like

Good to spend some time at RMRRF looking over your printer build.
You’d have made more progress at the show if I hadn’t talked your ears off for hours.
Thanks again for your time.

4 Likes

@MakerJim was great meeting you, and other current, and future V1E crew today. Always a pleasure talking to rocket scientists and engineers. Your 3 planet slingshot to visit deep space asteroid on a respectable/unbelievable budget is a fascinating project. I respect anyone who can simulate the universe :slightly_smiling_face:. For me, meeting up and talking to you guys was way more important than progressing my build. Cheers!

3 Likes