Mini cat digger thing

I have been wanting to design and make one of these for a while.
It’s for my nephew’s Xmas gift. It’s all 1/2” plywood with 15mm holes and 3D printed bushings in them made for 5/16 or 8mm bolts 2” wide. The base is a old office chair from the garbage pile. The bucket I printed. It was a bit wimpy so I made a metal one with the slip roller and break at work. Then spot welded it. And mounted the top of my 3D printed bucket. So it can be quick changed. I scaled it from free cad to stl so I could print it and test it at 20% so I didn’t have to do much math lol. You can add bungees to assist in the lift if it’s needed.

18 Likes

That’s just brilliant! Every time I see one of these at a playground I wish I’d have had one available to me when I was a kid.

3 Likes

Yes!!! I would have spent a lot of time on that as a kid…probably even now.

2 Likes

I know I wish I had one as a kid too lol it was so much fun building. I also really learned a lot about setting the lr3 up. I snapped a lot of bits bc I thought my table was not level (it isn’t) but it was actually my silly mistake with my z end stops being about 1/4” off. It’s working really great now. The cat badge also I didn’t creat I stole that from thingaverse.

4 Likes

Would be a great way to move packets of screws into postage boxes! Just saying… :grinning:

Robots? Bah!!

I have plans to make a dial indicator mag base as a impliment for it that’s lever controlled so he can pick up his cars and move them.

2 Likes

This is brillant ! :slight_smile:
A kid’s dream…

I’m on the verge of cutting a small one for my nephew too but nothing Beats the full scale :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wow that one is quite complex!! Very cool. They have these other cool ones that use syringes to try to teach the kiddos hydraulics.

2 Likes

Trying to anneal the print so it’s a bit stronger. Using glass bead as a hopeful support.

Looks like the heat treat worked. Got the beads up to around 190degf

4 Likes

total everything.nc (35.6 KB)
cut at own risk i have no idea what i am doing

2 Likes

Okay I’m going to have to build this. That’s awesome :sunglasses:

1 Like

@Waspjr Any chance you would post the files / drawings for the cut lines? Also, the STL file from which you printed the bucket?

1 Like

Yes i will try and get it all posted. The bucket is such a fun print.

1 Like

It appears I can’t add freecad drawing files or stl’s on here.
Printables here is the bucket i printed no support and at 30% infill and heat treated it
here is the quick change pins and the bushings for the parts
Printables

Maybe it is possible to post a link to a shared map with the files in it

You can post to zip files here. You can put just about anything inside a zip file.

Thanks!

1 Like

Any chance of putting your drawing files either into a Zip file and uploading here, or adding them to your Printables listing?

2 Likes

Yes of course I will soon. I am having some computer issues
Might not be for a day or so. I should organize them Better

1 Like

new for zip.zip (13.7 KB)
doug joseph this should be them. my laptop had been loosing wifi and it has all my cut files but it has managed to get fixed it appears.
For the base I removed the wheels and drilled through from the wheel pin hole side. Then just cartridge bolted it together. And use another 2x4 so it would be flat. Also has a hole so you can tent peg it down.
In the zip file there is a “recess for seat pad” that so you can mill the Chanel so the pivot supports get some strength from wracking or whatever it’s called. I might make a clay attach and a mag base one here soon.

Also feel free to make modify or do whatever. I want to make a couple to possibly sell at the wife’s salon. But feel free to make and sell. Just make sure it makes smiles

4 Likes